Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I am really bummed by the 5 life start for Endless Mario. Does it even have a Super Expert mode?

I liked the sweet spot of hard levels that took 5-20 lives to beat with difficult mechanics. Obviously the full run-killer 100 life levels were never going to work in this mode, but at least a decent starting life count would mean my favorite difficulty of level would still be streamable :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It just occurred to me: there's no way to stream from an undocked switch, is there?

So youtube videos / level builders that stream are all going to have to use the awful looking docked level builder controls. That sucks.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What controllers are you all planning to use for this game?

I considered picking up something with a decent d-pad, but I know I'll be playing a lot undocked so I may just try and get used to platforming on the joystick.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Glad to hear the non-touch building may not be as bad as it was made out to be.

I just ordered this, a left-joycon replacement with an actual D-Pad and decent reviews. Free same day delivery :getin: I'll let y'all know if it turns out to be trash for platforming.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-D-Pad-C...=gateway&sr=8-2

I actually have an SN30 I use for playing roms on my PC. I'll have to see if I have the right version to sync it to my Switch, I forgot that was a possibility. If so that'll probably be my default for docked play.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

GreatGreen posted:

"Let's make a decent d-pad joy-con for the Switch but only in a garish Zelda theme. Ok fine, just so people have an option, let's also make one that's black with a bunch of weird yellow lightning bolts on it."

I had the exact same thought. I've got a black right joy-con so at least it semi-matches, but all the options blow. I'd have gone with the Mario one match or no but it had a delivery date of like next Monday.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
This says official Nintendo titles are midnight EST:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12968/~/nintendo-eshop-pre-purchase-and-pre-load-faq

quote:

You'll be able to start playing it after downloading a small update, beginning at 12:00 a.m. ET on the game's release date. (Please note that some third-party titles are not available until 12:00 p.m. PT on the game’s release date.)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
DalaranJ could you maybe throw some of the "How to design a Mario Level" videos into the OP? I went back 7 pages to find this to brush up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI

The one that reviewed a bunch of official Mario levels was informative as well.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

cheesetriangles posted:

Apparently you can't open other peoples levels in the editor anymore.

That sounds extremely stupid. No more interesting post-level analysis from CarlSagan42, and lovely hidden-star levels will be more rampant than ever in online play.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Pixeltendo posted:

Thats probably to stop people from taking someone elses level and uploading it as their own.

You couldn't actually do that, though. You'd still have to build the level from scratch tile by tile, you just have the info how it was build to enable you to do so.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Tough Kaizo levels were going to be a nightmare anyway without level editor.

Having to practice the last section of a level only on legit clear attempts would make some levels take 10x as long as they did in MM1 to clear.

I don't think at all that they'll cave in to the hardcore players, but I do think it will have a direct impact on long term streaming/popularity. Probably more than made up for by the console it's on being much more popular.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Kaizo will still be a thing, there's already other wonky mechanics that have been found. It just won't be the same wonky mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can't get in either