Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I am beyond hyped for this. I've been waiting for a Mario Maker Switch announcement since the Switch was first announced! I love that they spent the first 20 seconds of the trailer focused solely on slopes. Some stuff I really want to see:

• More power-ups. The trailer showed power up wheels that didn't have anything new apart from the cat suit, but hopefully they're just holding back for now. At the very least I want the ice flower to be available.
  • Backwards compatibility. Let me access my old levels from MM1 and reupload them with the option to add the new stuff.
  • Vertical levels. It's hard to tell if these are in based on the trailer. One shot of a SMW ghost house looked like it might be more of a vertical stage but another shot showed us what looked like the same level height as the old game so it's hard to tell.
  • Level revisions. Let me modify and reupload a level without losing my stars/play counts.
  • Playlists. I want to make a full games worth of levels people can play through. Ideally any level could be added to it so collabs can be a thing. An over world editor would be even better but I'm not holding my breath for that.
  • Placeable water. The trailed shows you can have water at the bottom of a stage and have it rise and fall, but I also want full control of where water goes.

I can't wait to get back to creating levels and seeing what you all come up with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

This one doesn't make sense imo unless there is some sort of limit on how much you can change a level

Little Big Planet did this with no restrictions so I don’t see why it can’t be done here. It was good because you could bookmark a WIP level and come back to it later.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 17, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Squibbles posted:

Tell me your theories about the coin counter in the trailer where it shows X/50 or X/120, etc. Do you think it unlocks check points? Finishes the level? Just a bonus objective?

If it turns out to be something that can be made mandatory to beat the levels that is going to make for some pretty lovely hunt for the hidden coins super expert trash.

I doubt it would unlock a checkpoint since those have to be in a fixed location, but hopefully if you hit a checkpoint it saves your coin count. It could be a mandatory thing but like you said that would lead to some pretty nasty levels and I'd probably be inclined to skip that type of level immediately in the 100 Mario challenge. They also need to allow the time limit to be turned off if they're going to do that.

I just noticed that in the trailer that the coin counter is tied to the flag icon on the left side in build mode which makes it more likely that it's a clear objective. You may be able to set additional objective types such as killing a certain number of enemies or killing a boss.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 17, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

If they do give the option to create world I don’t expect much from it. You might be able to string a playlist together and have them represented in a world view similar what you see when you advance through the 100 Mario challenge but I can’t see them adding an editor that allows for SMW style maps.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The average MM player probably couldn’t finish the first New Super Mario Bros game. I think anything in the back half of any official Mario game would end up with expert classification. That was usually the difficulty I was shooting for in my stages and they mostly ended up falling in that category. I made one level where I deliberately tried to get in the easy classification while still having some semblance of level design and even that could only manage a 49% clear rate.

Did anyone ever figure out what the secret formula was for determining where a level goes? I’ve got normal stages with lower clear rates than other stages that were marked expert despite similar play counts.

Here’s my profile page for anyone interested.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I dragged my Wii U out of the basement today and revisited all of my old levels. It's been 2-3 years since I last played them and had largely forgotten a lot of the layouts and no longer had the muscle memory to just speed through them. It's a good way to get an experience that's closer to what a new player would get and I definitely noticed some places that I thought were fine at the time but that I would probably tweak now to be a bit friendlier to the player or make things flow better. If SMM2 doesn't have backwards compatibility with the old levels I might try to remake some of my better ones.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm probably not alone in thinking this, but I want to make genuinely good levels. Not super hard ones, not gimmicky ones, but ones that just flow really well, have good challenges and a good risk/reward balance, stuff like that. For example, I'm thinking of making an area now where you enter from a pipe, either from above or below, and all of the floor to the left is lava, and there are platforms on the right. Cue an unending (but not overwhelming) barrage of bullet bills flying in from the left. So, naturally, you think 'poo poo, I better go right', and if you do that, you can beat the level while dodging the bills following you, and trying not to fall into the lava. BUT, if you use the bullet bills as platforms, you could actually go left for some super secret. I love those instances in both Mario 2 and 3 where there were just straight-up separate paths, or shortcuts, through areas if you knew to look and experiment. First level of SMB2 is a prime example. Climb up the vines outside, or go through the back way via the door in the cave?

I feel you. While I appreciate a good gimmick level every once in awhile, I do prefer to play and make levels that feel close to a traditional level with difficulty that doesn’t get too much worse than what you’d find in an end game area. The Kaizo stuff is fun to watch but I don’t like playing them and my one attempt to make one was frustrating. I also can’t help hiding secrets or spending time making hidden exits even though I know that with the nature of this game you can barely expect most people to even finish your level once let alone take the time to replay it to check out alternate paths.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

hyphz posted:

I have no idea how 35%+ of people managed to fail Schopenhauer Was Here, which is supposed to contain no risk. Nor how His Experiments, which was just me experimenting and is seconds long, ever got starred.
If your level has a pit someone will fall in it no matter how small or out of the way it is. People are surprisingly bad at Mario in general, but some of them are literally three years old. Those same players might also be inclined to start your simple level since they were actually able to complete it. The other reason you might see a star there is just people whose levels you star will often reciprocate. Starring levels on the new tab is actually a good way to get stars yourself.

quote:

Also, the seventh level I did, There Are Only Murderers, where every enemy and Mario plays the horrified scream effect when they die, was pulled for some reason.

At some point Nintendo started deleting unpopular levels. I don’t know the criteria but I think if you go a certain length of time without getting a star they take it down and never let you upload it again. Posting levels in this thread should help fight against that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

I feel like I've reuploaded one of my levels but it's also been years since then and I might have added something to it.

I think it’s only if Nintendo takes a level down that you’re not allowed to reupload. It never happened to me, but I’ve seen people recommend that you save your level in a backup slot before uploading it so you could reupload from the backup if need be.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

It depends on the length and level of complexity. The editor is very easy to use so slapping down some platforms and enemies doesn’t take long but trying to make something that is actually fun to play takes some work. I would guess mine took anywhere from 2 to 8 hours and a decent amount of that would have been dedicated to testing and fine-tuning.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Man, I'm really itching for some new info to come out. They still haven't even nailed down a release date.

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqQ3ujJfnGA
This guy “implemented” some Mario Maker 2 features into the first game and it’s pretty clever.
Ceave is awesome. His channel is full of stuff you'd never think could be done in Mario Maker although they usually seem like a pain in the rear end to actually implement.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

While I'd also enjoy having a world builder and the ability to play through full games other creators put together, I just can't see Nintendo scoping in a separate over world editor that would only be used by maybe 1% of users. That would take time that is probably better spent adding more power-ups, enemies, and obstacles to the level editor. A smaller scale way to string levels together might be a bit more realistic, such as the ability for creators to rearrange the order of their levels and for players to select 'play all' on the creators profile. Better yet, allow for playlists to be created that can contain levels from multiple creators. In either case, lives should certainly carry over but maybe not power ups since levels should still be able to stand on their own for 100 Mario or whatever.

Phantasium posted:

You can skip levels but you usually only find out if a level is crap or bullshit by wasting a life or two on it, nevermind the people who make it so that you literally can't skip a level until you've died once; you can only skip on solid ground or after you've died, if a level starts you in motion into a bullshit scenario you just get ripped off.

They need to offer a one second grace period where if you die that quickly you can skip without losing a life. I don't care how much effort you put into the rest of your level, if you've got an insta-kill trap at the start I'm skipping it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Overbite posted:

Also add the big coins to collect you cowards.

I would love to see these as well. They would encourage replays and hunting for those secrets we all like to put in. I do think they would need to go a step further to actually incentivize collecting them. First off I’d make “full clear” a separate stat from regular clears on the level info so players will want to work to get their name posted. I’d also some sort of in-game reward so maybe tie some exclusive costumes to getting enough full clears or maybe make it an alternate way to earn badges assuming they keep that system.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Disappointed but not surprised that it's right at the end of June. Now if only we could get another direct or some sort of write up confirming more features.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

They put out a small release date announcement trailer. It doesn’t really show off anything new apart from Banzai Bills being placeable outside of cannons.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

A Japanese Twitter account posted a poorly shot photograph of an in-store ad that featured screenshots showcasing several new elements. The tweet has since been deleted, but it was up long enough for GameXplain to get a video out on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Q-vKnSNLQ

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Here are the screenshots:

Not sure if the SMW image there is a sky theme or they've just added more platform types to the airship theme. The background is identical though.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sam Faust posted:

I looked this up a while back, and it feels real weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLS458ekSEI

I see that once upon a time you could set the timer to 999 instead of 500. I wonder why they changed that of all things? It rarely mattered but certain puzzle levels would have benefitted from a longer timer.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

That’s great news! Usually I’m not one to follow pre-release info but this game is a big exception where I want to know anything and everything about it. I’m also looking forward to the 5 hour GameXPlain afterwards.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I hope they cover how course elements will get unlocked today. The first game had the dumbest system imaginable. Ideally I’d want everything there by default especially if you have MM1 levels on your profile.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ohtsam posted:

It'll be very unlikely but I hope you can pull in all your old levels from MM1. Was replaying the levels I made the other night and saw lots of ways I could improve them with the new features we're already aware of.

If they don’t I’ll probably end up recreating some of my levels. It’ll be annoying sitting there with a Wii U game pad in my lap and Switch in my hands but I don’t think it would be too hard to recreate stuff.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I think Luigi is in but his physics may not be. If they are it would probably be something the level creator can toggle rather than something the player chooses.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Scroll stop! Hadn't thought of it but that will be great.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

A lot of good stuff there. Night mode is going be amazing, and it looks like 3D World is going to be quite the departure. It's great to have vertical areas confirmed as well. Sadly, it doesn't look like any new power ups have been added. I really wanted the ice flower. Seeing as it's just a palette swap for Mario and the fire flower you'd think they could add it to every game style, but I'd settle for having it be NSMB only.

Seems like endless mode is replacing 100 Mario mode. Not sure how I feel about that. I liked having an end state. Easy and normal could truly be endless.

Did we see costumes at all? I didn't notice any. It's strange if they're not bringing them back.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, so, I'd like to draw your attention to this obvious gap to the right of Super Mario 3D World style, and the use of plural.

I didn't think SMB2 was an actual possibility due to the different mechanics, but given how they've implemented this where 3D World is it's own thing and you can't go back and switch styles makes me believe it can happen. Could be something they hold onto for DLC though.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

It goes by really quick but one of the potential clear conditions you can set is "reach the goal without landing after leaving the ground" which is definitely interesting. Potentially they could have all kinds of stuff like "don't collect a single coin" challenges.

Another new thing I noticed is the badges on the maker profile. I'm guessing these will still control your ability to upload courses, but the icons suggest different ways to get them. It looks like two are for getting likes on your stages, two for completing stages, one for setting world records, and four for doing endless mode. There's one more that just looks like >>>> that I'm not sure about. Maybe participating in versus mode?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sounds like co-op is random level selection. I really think they ought to give everyone in the game a chance to pick a level. I want to force my co-op partners to play my stuff!

GigaPeon posted:

They didn't mention anything about local co-op, versus, outside of building, right? I hope that's a thing.

They showed that nearby play thing where it looks like everyone needs their own Switch to play together. Pretty dumb if that's the only way to do it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Another blink and you'll miss it thing I noticed: you can now "boo" a level you don't like. On the one hand I will be more than happy to slam that button every time some fucker puts a thwomp above the starting location or puts a door over a pit, but I kind of prefer leaving that little bit of negativity out of the game. Hitting the skip button was cathartic enough.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

creationist believer posted:

It seems like the camera locks to your character on your screen in the multiplayer modes so they wouldn't have to use a dynamically zooming camera (which would be weird in the 16/8-bit versions), or lock the screen to the fastest/slowest player's progress, so everyone on has to play on their own Switch is the natural solution.

Ah, that's a good point.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Argue posted:

Okay so what's on everyone's wishlist now that they've covered so many of the things people wanted:

- Ice Flower and other power ups in general
- Ability to queue up your own stages or bookmarked/downloaded stages in online multiplayer co-op mode
- Blue Yoshi
- Ability to reupload levels without losing stars and comments
- Pokey (come on Nintendo how can we have desert stages without Pokey?)

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 16, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Video from the Japanese site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LwrhmWLbX4

You need to freeze frame but around the 4 second mark we have confirmation that the Mega Mushroom in the power up wheel for SMB1 and the mystery mushroom is not present. The lack of costumes is a bummer but I'm actually more upset that we're losing a way to give Mario some health without changing his hitbox. I had a couple levels in the old game that relied on that.

It's almost impossible to freeze frame on but right between the 10th an 11th second you can see confirmation on how the new colored pipes work. As we saw in the original direct enemies launch out of the pipes at varying speeds based on the color. I hope that also speeds up piranha plants as I remember the timing on those being kind of awkward in the first game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Argue posted:

*extremely Gamexplain voice* There seem to be two biomes seen but not pointed out in the trailer. The one with the big blue tank at around 0:47 appears to be its own biome; it doesn't look like the default Mario 3 grass biome and doesn't seem to fit desert or forest.
It is the forest but they seem to take a lot of inspiration from SMB3's pipe land for that style. SMW's desert theme also takes some liberties by being more of the mountain theme from that game.

DrManiac posted:

Every theme in every style is getting a night mode right? I can wait to see how the 3D stuff looks.
That's a good question. I'm not sure if we saw any night mode footage for 3D World. It's possible it won't exist there since 3D World is a separate thing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mario Kart maker would probably be it's own separate title. I made several tracks in Modnation Racers for PS3 and had a lot of fun with it, but making a good kart track is much more complex than a Mario level.

If we get another style it's still going to be a 2D Platformer that uses the same basic level designer. SMB2 seems the most likely. SML2 might be doable but do we really want a bunch of black and white stages mixed in? A 2D Galaxy/Odyssey style could also be a possibility.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 16, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1GwHvNKME&t=544s
At 9:04 on the Japanese direct video they show a slightly different 3D World power up wheel to what was in the western direct. There's some sort of hammer power up we haven't seen yet.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I don't know that I ever saw a pattern between tileset and the quality of the level design, but I know one thing for absolute certain: SMB3 and SMW were underused
Yeah, I know I used those two the least myself. I did a lot of SMB1 levels because it usually felt like the best fit for my ideas, and then the runner up was NSMB. I realize that one is not the most aesthetically pleasing to a lot of people but the wall jump, spin jump, and mid-air twirl are all great mechanics and you're stuck with that theme if you want to use them. SMB3 doesn't really have anything unique going for it so it's not surprising that it's the least used style.

I think NSMB is the one little kids are most likely going to be drawn to, so if it seems like there's more bad levels in that style that's probably the reason.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 17, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

If not a world editor, was there anything in the video that alluded to a level linking system or anything like that?
Nope.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Did an Expert run and the stage quality is much better than I remember. Dunno if it's because Super Expert absorbed all the poo poo.
I’ve read that 100 Mario heavily favors creators who have logged in recently so at this point I imagine you’d see a lot from the most dedicated users. We’ll be back to playing levels from 5 year olds once 2 comes out.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

There's so much to do in this game that it's going to be hard to spread my time across everything I want to do. Story mode will probably come first if you need to play it to unlock stuff, but I've got a ton of ideas that I've been writing down since the game was announced and I'm sure more will come to me once I get a feel for all the new stuff. I've already hooked up my Wii U and started running through my old levels to identify tweaks I can make to improve them. Then of course there's going to be endless mode, multiplayer, and all the goon levels I'm going to want to play.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I don’t care if you’re age 1 or 100, if your level has trap doors or a thwomp over the staring position you know what you did and deserve to be discouraged. The problem will be people abusing the boo button on good levels out of jealousy, spite, or just being bad at Mario. I like the idea of using it to suppress levels but I don’t know if I trust Nintendo to implement that well. They already delete levels that don’t get stars in a particular timeframe and lock you out of reuploading them which in some cases is a good thing but in others it’s just going to be a case of lack of discovery options which from what we’ve seen they’ve done nothing to address.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Argue posted:

One of mine was removed in this way and I thought it was a perfectly fine level with a gimmick I haven't seen anyone else do :mad:

Everyone should probably get in the habit of making a backup save of levels before uploading them in case Nintendo is still doing this. You can’t reupload the original but you can upload the backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

You should totally do the writeup! Thanks for the links. I've seen that video but the papers were new to me.

I'd definitely recommend these sorts of materials to anyone who doesn't know where to get started with level creation or who just wants some tips on how to make your levels better. Even a simple level that sticks closely to the types of pattern listed in that first link can be a fun romp, and understanding the basics makes you better equipped to come up with standout deviations from the Nintendo formula.

Not sure if this was ever posted in this thread, but here's a good Game Maker's Toolkit video that talks about Mario level design philosophies before applying them to building a Mario Maker stage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0c5Le1vGp4