Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got Mario Maker Will U, and drat is the Expert 100 Mario challenge crazy. I consider myself a drat good Mario player, and even experimented with SPEEDRUNNING in college, but since of these are just abusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I'm 6 levels into the expert 100 Mario challenge and only down 24 lives. I saved and quit because I got 8 instant death levels in a row.

Level 9 and 45 lives left. I hate this.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 30, 2019

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

creationist believer posted:

It's worth noting that in SMM1, all the game themes used the same physics engine based on New Super Mario Bros U. Changing the theme only changed some abilities Mario has (carrying items, throwing items up, spin jumping, air twirling) and some of the enemies behaviors (Yoshi/Kuribo's shoe, Raccoon tail/Cape/Propeller hat).

I assume, based on the different way 3D World levels are handled from the other levels, that the previous themes will be based on the same game engine.

I've been watching A LOT of Mario maker speed runs and they sometimes talk about the physics differences between MM1 and NSMBU.

Here's a video with some. One of the Games Done Quick videos was taking about bombs, but this video doesn't show any of that.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

"don't collect any coins"
BAH HA HIDDEN COIN BOXES EVERYWHERE! I'm so clever! -every level with a win condition

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Guys. I beat Expert 100 Mario last night. I know you were all wondering how I was progressing.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Ughh. I thought you got costumes from amiibos. Alright. Back to the grind.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I was working on a level and when I went to make dinner my son deleted it. He felt bad so he tried to remake it. It was super sweet and it turns out his beginning was more fun than mine. So he and I finished it together and uploaded it. If people could play it it would just make his day to see the numbers go up.

16D8-0000-03ED-E964

We've been working on "treating the player fairly" which led to respawning the flower and Yoshi at the beginning. Although doors to reset might have been better since it's possible(but not easy) to softlock.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

J-Spot posted:

Played and starred. I actually soft locked four or five times before I was able to escape the starting screen. The timing on the top bomb is tricky and Bowser can set off the bottom one.

As long as the first one blows up the front (which it should do if Bowser sets it off) you should be able to get through or over. No matter where the second blows.

I tried it with doors and it made the whole thing too easy.

Edit: also, thanks for playing (I should have said that first) if you have any suggestions I'll run them by the boss. My original version had the bombs trapped it wasn't as fun, but you couldn't soft lock.

We're going more for fun factor than anything, so the excavation is like a reward for the challenge at the beginning.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 23, 2019

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Ok. With my son's permission and input I revamped the beginning to make it impossible to soft lock. There's also a few options to progress and they are a lil more obvious.

Try this one and let me know what you think.

120F-0000-03EE-68FA

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

J-Spot posted:

I liked this version better. Yeah it's easier, but I had a nice little emergent moment where Bowser jumped up on the first mushroom platform which made me have to look for the opportunity to proceed so the experience was definitely more fun. Then I went ahead and cleared it a second time to claim the world record from whoever cleared it earlier.
Thanks for the input.

Well, you and my son won. Here's what I consider the final version. I had to eliminate some cheese I didn't know was there until I threw it at a Twitch streamer last night cause I wanted to see how people play it. And just modified the excavation a bit.

0377-0000-03EE-903A

I tried adding random things to set off bombs, but none of them actually made the level any more fun. But if I go for a straight hard level I have some ideas.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

J-Spot posted:

Wow, I just saw you got TheDragonFeeney to play your level. She cheesed the ending of course.

That's actually who my son made it for. I sent it to her before we fixed the cheese. My son loves watching her play because "it's like how Daddy plays, but without all the dying."
We got into watching her after sometime suggested it in this or the SPEEDRUNNING thread.

The first bit of the level with koopa and the bomb tower was something I was experimenting with then when my son rebuilt it he added the excavation bit because he apparently heard her say she loves excavation levels (could have been sarcasm I don't remember it) and that Mario World is her favorite type (which may be true, I think I remember that but I watch a few streamers and it could have been any of them).

He was CRAZY excited she played it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

The ones with all the saws? I hate those levels.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I was going to wait until online multiplayer is a thing to buy a switch and this, but drat. Sml rubber ball. If there's an effect that tons the level gray than DAAAMMMNNN.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wonder if there'll be any sort of Nintendo-organized event, like with Tetris99.

Could they even do that?

Like the Nintendo Invitational they did a couple weeks ago? Or something else?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I LIKE those levels, and his is not a good one of the genre.

I'm neutral on saw levels in general, but I've run into "Super Meat Bros" and "the Return of Super Meat Bros"(names might not be exact) on 100 man and they were both bad enough that I specifically remembered them being saw levels when they were mentioned here.

And my memory for crap like that is... Well crap. I had to download my favorite level because I couldn't remember the name when it was just in my starred levels.

I looked it up for you guys...
Koopaling Kanyon V4 by Oscarín
90B0-0000-03E4-5F74

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

TheDragonFeeney is streaming story mode.

http://www.twitch.tv/thedragonfeeney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

7. Coins spell out the name of a popular twitch streamer and that's the only thing in the level.

Hey. Mine had an actual level attached.