Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I'm very hopeful towards some actual "World" support. There are already a few things that will help, such as more background variety type. An actual interface or linked levels would be a massive help though.

With SMM, I managed to create 8 worlds with 4 levels each, roughly fitting into a theme. Looks like it'll be much easier to do this time around!

If anyone is interested in playing them, here are links to the old posts. Personal favorites are Mech 4, Ancient 3, and Vine 1.

Island World & Frozen World
Vine World
Mech World
Ancient World
Sky World
Magic World
Bowser’s World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah, I don't expect worlds where you need to dodge Hammer Bros challenges along paths, and levels with multiple exits. I'm hoping at the very least its:
1) Linking levels together in a specific sequence.
2) Coins, 1-ups, and maybe even power ups being shared between them.

Maybe I'm just one of those weirdos that likes to see options for approaching Mario games in the traditional sense. Speed run, super expert and other gimmick levels already get a ton of support with the game.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Had some time on a flight to plan out the return of my 8 world project. Here are a few things I'm excited to try:

- Swinging Claws in a castle stage. Lots of fun to be had with timing your swing to avoid fire bars and lava bubbles. I wonder if the the claws get destroyed if they go under lava?

- Fast scroll koopa cart stage. Looping tracks with the goal of collecting red coins, so that the player has to cruise through it at least a couple times, with different goals in mind. Certainly Mario Kart inspired.

- Athletics style ski slope stage. Gotta put that snow+night theme to good use somehow!

One thing I'm unhappy with: it seems that the rising water levels are forest course theme only. Would have really loved to make an SMB3 style naval armada style stage.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Have they confirmed the SMB1 desert theme yet? My hope is that they use the Super Mario Land Underground theme. Here's the Smash Bros remaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0IhWGUFljk

As for remaking levels, I don't plan for any 1:1 copies. The new themes certainly encourage trying something new - my Bone-Dry Dunes stage will feel much more at home in the desert. I'm curious to see how the Dry-bones shell interacts with hazards and objects besides lava.

I certainly learned about a lot about how to iterate through platformer challenges through my SMV project. Seems it would be a waste not to at least revisit some old ideas.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks for the link. I'm excited to hear the full track and see if there are any nostalgia triggers.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Question for all you "linked level" opinion havers. How many of you actually downloaded level sets (ie, World 1-1 through 1-4) and played through them in Course Bot?

Admittedly, there were a few makers I followed that created their stages in this format, but I'd usually just sequence directly from the Bookmarks, which killed any coin + power-up tracking between levels.

The reason I ask is because as I'm planning out my next 8 worlds of content, I'm not even sure if there is a good reason to worry about a proper sequence or escalating difficulty. Instead, I may just pick a world type and build a handful of levels that fit the theme and have some recurring challenges. For most players, I don't think there's a difference between "3-1 Perilous Pipeline > 3-2 Carnivorous Cavern" and just playing them individually anyway.

Do y'all feel anything would be lost if a maker simply said "Here's a collection of ice themed levels. Play them in any order you want!"?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
One way pipes could be cool, but there's already a solution. Put the exit slightly off the ground. I think the only recourse then is POW blocks or a Parabuzzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Feeling the hype hard this weekend.

I now have a spreadsheet for my SMV sequel project. 8 worlds, 5 stages per, and each stage with a few unique course elements picked out.

The new themes are looking really great, and it's not seeing more of the design elements as preview videos are coming out. SMB3 Forest and SMW Desert alone inspired a few new ideas for me.