Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Slopes, skins, enemies, powerups, those are all nice, but let's not lose sight of what's really important: Stuffing your levels with as many obnoxious audio/visual triggers as possible, and I hope there are really goofy new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

rockinricky posted:

Now that I'm seeing links to levels, are any of them playable on the 3DS version?

Here's how I think (hope) the release happens:

Right before or during E3, they have a Direct with a longer trailer that ends with

"Available in the eShop NOW!!!"

Then the eShop proceeds to melt down.

I really doubt they'll ever do that with any game that also has a physical release since then they'd have to release digital early or somehow surprise people with physical copy releases in stores at the same time?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The 3D World skin looks cool from that new mini trailer. It's gonna be fun just goofing off with the clear pipes alone.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
There was a ton to take in there but I think the thing that stood out the most to me is being able to set clear conditions for levels. If that's robust enough that's still not the same as overworlds but gives people reason to care about searching for secrets and powerups in your levels depending on the conditions.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Argue posted:

I prepurchased it and Mario Maker 2 is occupying 2.8 GB on my Switch right now. So uh, has anybody in the past tried spoofing whatever servers it's checking (for other preloaded games), and did they get in some kind of Nintendo-trouble for it?

If I remember right it's not just a server ping but involves an encrypted key so you're pretty much not getting in.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Argue posted:

Yeah that's what they're doing, it's hard to watch. But why didn't Nintendo just make it so that you die if you land? In the case of a floor-is-lava challenge, If you violated the condition, there's nothing you can do but start over.

Also, I hope there's a "collect no more than x coins" clear condition.

Perhaps to let players practice or scout out what the rest of the level will be like so they can have a plan on the next try, maybe?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know what I'm more excited about; building a bunch of levels, or having near instant access to a virtually unlimited supply of levels. Even if 80% are garbage, 20% of 'infinite' is *checks notes*... uhh, still infinite.

I enjoy the garbage levels by pretending I'm playing levels from alternate universe Mario games where the series just totally went to poo poo early on, and that's good amusement for me in small doses.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My least favorite level design thing is when people make SMW levels where they expect you to throw a shell into a wall and expect you to bounce off it before you land that is such an unfun piece of tech to me and I will skip any level that has it.

Something I do like in SMW level is when people require Yoshi launches because there's something fun about doing that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
No those are not good levels they are EPIC levels didn't you read the clickbait?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Confirmed you get to see the special goals when the level is loading so no big gently caress yous at the end of levels like that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If a level can only be beaten co-op it might be that you can only upload it co-op. Since otherwise if it was impossible for 1 player then a solo maker wouldn't be able to pass the upload test.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I'm kind of fascinated by the 'movement', for lack of a better term, of clearing out all of the SMM1 levels that have a 0.00% clearance rate. That's pretty neat, and I wonder if they'll get them all done before SMM2 is released.

EDIT: Also, here's a really well-designed troll level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A28kItTOSQM

Gotta dust off my wii u so I can do the reverse of this- go the most cleared levels and die as much as I can!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mega64 posted:

I don't really like the NSMBU music myself. I wish they'd use the theme from the other NSMB games, as that one's much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GK41pLUuP0

NSMBU was always strange to me because much of the presentation of it feels well-made but like bland and safe but the actual meat of the game is just fantastic.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
One week! Can't wait to spend lots of next weekend on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone else just going to make Mario levels that would be fitting in a real game and not just be a dick?

My levels are probably going to be bizarre, gimmicky and absolutely unsuitable for a real Mario game, but not in a dickish way. If anything they'll be low to medium difficulty, just strange.