Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ESA Winter 2019 is over! A big thank you to everyone who participated in raising over 30,000 dollars for Save the Children!

You thought you'd have to wait until SGDQ for more speedrunning marathon goodness? Surprise, motherfucker.

But this one's happening way over in Europe - Sweden, to be specific. European Speedrunner Assembly Winter 2019 is running from February 18th to 23rd, a full week of runs and cozyness (those dates in the logo up there are the days things go on at the venue, the streams runs between the dates I mentioned)! All for charity, of course - money is being raised for Save the Children.

Since ESA has always been a smaller marathon with less thread activity, and ESA Winter is even smaller than ESA Summer, and because of other reasons, we're just going with a single thread for this marathon. So, no chat thread this time around. Don't let that prevent you from posting, but I'll go ahead and say it right away: Absolutely no questionable fanart in this thread. None. Good? Good.

~~~~~~~~~~

If you've seen a speedrun marathon before, you should know what to expect. A full week of speedruns and some other nifty stuff. So let's get right onto the important information, like the schedule. Or, slightly more accurately, schedules. There is a secondary stream for ESA Winter like there was for Summer, however, this time around it's running less of the time, and concentrates on a small number of longer games. So if you're interested in that, then, go right ahead and fire up two stream windows, when such is available! The schedule will adjust to your local time zone.

The ESA main site is the place to go for everything else, and is where you can watch in your browser once the marathon gets going. Otherwise, there's Twitch streams for you: Stream one and Stream two. But, even better is of course to watch through whatever media player you want, which you do with Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI.

Recordings of all runs will go up eventually on the ESA Youtube channel, so you can catch up on things you missed.

And of course, you'll want to chat with friendly peeps while watching too. And you don't want to do that in Twitch chat. So just use the tried and true IRC, or that Discord thing.

ESA IRC: #esamarathon at irc.quakenet.org
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
ESA Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord

The goon speedfriend Discord also exists - but the invite for that is not static, so you'll have to ask someone for an invite. Probably in the above linked Goon speedrunning Discord.

~~~~~~~~~~

A short history of the European Speedrunner Assembly:

Started as European Speedster Assembly in 2012 and hosted its first marathon in Skövde, Sweden. Since then, one big marathon has been organized every summer in Sweden, plus some side events, like appearing at Sweden's biggest LAN party, Dreamhack. In 2016 it moved from Skövde to Växjö, in 2018 the first ESA Winter happened in Växjö, while the summer event moved to Malmö the same year. Previously ESA has raised money for Charity:Water and Doctors Without Borders, and is currently for for the benefit of Save the Children.

Of course - all the money raised during ESA Winter 2019 goes directly to Save the Children. No cut is taken by the organizers, volunteers or runners.

~~~~~~~~~~

To donate, you go to the donation page. You put in your donation amount, and what incentive you want your donation to go towards. There's a bunch of 'em, as usual - character names, bonus bosses, you know the drill. All of it can be found on the ESA donation tracker.

Prizes aren't quite a thing at ESA as it is for GDQ, so... you'll just have to donate anyway. Find some incentive you like. Go for it.

~~~~~~~~~~

And that's honestly about all I have to say about it. The only goon that I'm aware of who's running anything this event is myself - in UTC+2, my two runs happen at the following times, both on stream one:

Ninja Smasher! at 09:00 on Tuesday 2019-02-12
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure at 01:38 on Wednesday 2019-02-20

Okay, I absolutely do not want to call the latter of those two a speedrun, but... yeah. You'll see. It's got name incentives. Donate for it.

~~~~~~~~~~

And that's that! Let us all have a good marathon together. Let's avoid the drama, let's especially not dredge up what happened about a month ago. Be respectful towards everyone involved, be it runners, volunteers, viewers, posters!

And of you have any questions, just go ahead and ask. Personally I won't be super active in the thread 'cause I'll be on site, but anyway. Don't forget to tune in to the regular speedrunning thread, too!

Past marathon threads
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Reserved post.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

We're live, woop!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Carbon dioxide posted:

@OP you got a borked URL tag in the first post.
So I did. Fixed now. Also thanks to Palpek for the sticky!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That was much cleaner than any of my practice runs yesterday and sure enough, it was a PB and WR for the category (I'm the only one with a time for it on the leaderboard, but anyway). My previous time was a 31:24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Also none of you people donating during Ninja Smasher! put it towards Super Amazing Wagon Adventure names, I am disappoint :V

Edit: Also, choice of tie for SAWA is still undecided. Options are: Boba Fett, South Park, blue with gold-ish Chinese scribbles, and plain black.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 19, 2019