Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

algebra testes posted:

Did Fernando Alonso win his split?

Who cares, we did though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Vando posted:

P1 baby! I’m still so jazzed about it. Amazing team effort battling and trading P2 with another team for like 14 hours. And there was a second podium by another of our teams (and the other two teams made valiant efforts themselves)!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Nice job guys, my team ended up P6 in our split, also ran the BMW, took a lot of little bits of damage throughout the race, and a couple bigger hits, most of them not our own doing. For my first 24h, I'd say we did pretty well.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

How long did each teammate run at a time? Seems like an awesome event (I don’t have the skills to participate). Did you guys nap in between turns?

Also, congrats on winning your split!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Great job!

If I wanted to run an endurance race, what does it take? Any good build up events, like 2-8h events?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Nybble posted:

Great job!

If I wanted to run an endurance race, what does it take? Any good build up events, like 2-8h events?

Basically the main options for endurance racing are GT3s, GTEs, and LMP2.

iRacing has multiple endurance series and special events. VRS is a 3hr GT3 race each week; Europeance Endurance Series (formerly ILMS) does 6hr races with gte, p2, and p1s; GT Endurance does 6 races per season and is GTE only. Then they have multiple special events that mimic real world races such as Daytona 24hr, Sebring 12hr, Le mans, etc. There is also a Nurburgring only series that does 3 to 6 hour races and is gt3, porsche cup, tcr, and mx5 (this may change).

Join the discord. The more people the merrier.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 25, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vando posted:

Hell yes!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Douchebag posted:

How long did each teammate run at a time? Seems like an awesome event (I don’t have the skills to participate). Did you guys nap in between turns?

Also, congrats on winning your split!

I know for our run, Bearpope Zero (3rd place baby), a single stint was right about an hour. Most any of us did was 2hrs at a time, with a 2hr avg break between double stints.

It was amazing and I cant wait for the next one.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Our team had 4 drivers and we did 3 double stints each, plus a final half-stint at the end to make up for our inability to fuel save enough with the damage we were carrying.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sebring is soon right? That will be fun as hell too.

I still think they should run the 2 hour 40 races alternating with ELMS 6 hours, it's a cool format.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Nybble posted:

Great job!

Join us for VRS Endurance Series every weekend, 3 hours is a real sweet spot for getting used to endurance and we’ve got people running it of all skill levels, plus we run the track for it for the goon league race the Sunday before

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Sebring is soon right? That will be fun as hell too.

Sebring is March 27th. The next special enduro is the Bathurst 12hr on Feb 27th. Which is also fun as hell.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

algebra testes posted:

Did Fernando Alonso win his split?

P2 though the split was low due to Alonso 1k irating. They were leading but binned it leaving pits

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Vasukhani posted:

P2 though the split was low due to Alonso 1k irating. They were leading but binned it leaving pits

That means literally all of our teams are more talented than Alonso’s.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'm not sure he's 1k rating, unless he's tanked it he was 1.8k a week or so ago when he was in our f3.5 race session.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Fellblade posted:

I'm not sure he's 1k rating, unless he's tanked it he was 1.8k a week or so ago when he was in our f3.5 race session.

Apparently he joins and then quits out or crashes a lot.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah he quit out of my race.

The one that I finished in.

Thus beating him.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

iRacing: Literally Better Than Alonso

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Fellblade posted:

he's tanked it

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Is that true intentional tanking or just trying to race stupid crashy series and raging out every time things go badly?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
It's definitely not intentional

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How is someone that bad at iRacing unless they are playing on a PC with a lot of technical issues and/or an internet connection that is really bad?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

I said come in! posted:

How is someone that bad at iRacing unless they are playing on a PC with a lot of technical issues and/or an internet connection that is really bad?

I mean, that's higher than my road irating.

If you mean how is alonso that bad: He doesn't practice, so he either wins or crashes

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I said come in! posted:

This post cuts me deep.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I doubt Alonso practices that much

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So…if one were so inclined to race a 24 hour race…how does the damage model work? If you wreck is that it or can you spend multiple occasions in the pits?

Also how do the driver swaps work?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

iRacings damage model is a bit weird, but they are working on it. You can go to the pits and get it 'fixed' but its not guaranteed that it will be drivable (depending on how bad you wrecked it).

Team members are enrolled for the race at registration, but you still have to register / join. During a pit stop a driver will get out so you can get in. The change is a fixed set of time, but its usually during a fuel stop / tire change so you won't see the extra time really.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I said come in! posted:

Why you gotta just insult me, huh.

Why

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

iRacings damage model is a bit weird, but they are working on it. You can go to the pits and get it 'fixed' but its not guaranteed that it will be drivable (depending on how bad you wrecked it).

For the cars you'll find in the long enduros, (mostly LMP2 and GT(E/3)) it's pretty rare to get damage that renders the car literally undrivable after repairs. The steering wheel might be at a weird angle and you'll definitely have a reduced top speed from aero damage*, but you can drive. One of the Bearpope teams had the car on its roof on more than one occasion during last year's Nurburgring 24 and we still finished.

*The persistent aero damage is the dumbest thing about iracing's damage/repair model. In real life you'll see pit crews bring out brand new replacement wings or hoods or front clips, etc. In iracing, your team will go out on track to find your damaged missing parts and put them back on the car.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It should work depending on the car and racing series, and there being a chance just like in real life, that adequate repairs are not possible and you're just screwed and have to drop out of the race.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gently caress being frugal!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I said come in! posted:

It should work depending on the car and racing series, and there being a chance just like in real life, that adequate repairs are not possible and you're just screwed and have to drop out of the race.

If you've ever driven the Indycar you know this is already a thing. If you knock a corner off the car it's game over, the crew doesn't even try to repair it. They'll do minor suspension and bodywork repairs but if you break a wheel off, or damage the side pods too much, your day is done.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

gently caress being frugal!

Excellent! My CSL Elite and V3 pedals are out for delivery today after a leisurely crawl across the US from CA to NJ.

Not complaining, order processed on Jan 18th, delivery today isn't bad considering I chose the cheap shipping method and I've heard nightmare stories about Fanatecs order processing.

I can't wait to have to learn iRacing all over again now with a new setup.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Agh, goddamn iracing I pay too much money for all these headaches

Haven't played in awhile, game asks me to rebind keys. I'm halfway through the wizard and its asks to bind key for "look left"

I'm racing in VR, so I don't want a "look left"

There is no way to end the wizard
There is no way to cancel the wizard
There is no way to progress without binding a key for "look left"

really?

Also these REQUIRE unique keybinds

E: Also I'm sorry but its really crap that you can't navigate the menu with a wheel. iRacing is the most expensive sim racing game and it is the only one I can think of that requires a mouse to do anything.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 27, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you don't use the keyboard for anything just pick literally any key? This is a lot of words for a trivial problem that if you really wanted something done about, you'd post about to iRacing via ticket or forum, not to us.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Agh, goddamn iracing I pay too much money for all these headaches

Haven't played in awhile, game asks me to rebind keys. I'm halfway through the wizard and its asks to bind key for "look left"

I'm racing in VR, so I don't want a "look left"

There is no way to end the wizard
There is no way to cancel the wizard
There is no way to progress without binding a key for "look left"

really?

Also these REQUIRE unique keybinds

E: Also I'm sorry but its really crap that you can't navigate the menu with a wheel. iRacing is the most expensive sim racing game and it is the only one I can think of that requires a mouse to do anything.

Assetto Corsa is way worse with this and is so bad, it has a community made launcher.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vando posted:

if you really wanted something done about, you'd post about to iRacing via ticket or forum, not to us.

Oh I did ;)

KillHour posted:

Assetto Corsa is way worse with this and is so bad, it has a community made launcher.

True, its what turns me off AC. I think it still lets you do some in-game but maybe I'm misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
New thread who dis: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957190