Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Eh for a lot of cars the fastest way to launch is by easing off the clutch at full throttle, especially the higher power formula cars and 911 cup car. (edit: for the really high power ones like the F1 car, you may need to ease off both throttle and clutch) Using a proper axis is significantly faster. If you do still not want to get a 3rd pedal, and want to do series with standing starts and higher power cars, look into a wheel rim that has clutch paddles, like the CSL McLaren GT3 rim, or one of the clubsport rims with the podium paddle module (or one of the podium rims)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

in general the fastest way to launch a car in iracing is with anti-stall clutch, hold the brake at 100%, apply full throttle in-gear when the lights are red then let go of the brake when they go green. not very sim-like but generally the quickest and safest start- no clutch pedal needed.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Rated PG-34 posted:

I want to like the formula ir01 but I’d have to hotlap for a few years before I could put together a semi-decent lap. I guess it’s back to the PM18 and USF2k
It's a bit up there in license level but I still say the best open wheel car on all of iRacing is the F3.5. It feels awesome on almost any track, the racing is generally halfway decent and it's just a fuckin blast to drive.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

real_scud posted:

It's a bit up there in license level but I still say the best open wheel car on all of iRacing is the F3.5. It feels awesome on almost any track, the racing is generally halfway decent and it's just a fuckin blast to drive.

How does that compare to the FR2.0? I own that one, but haven't really driven it much.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

How does that compare to the FR2.0? I own that one, but haven't really driven it much.

it has way more downforce so it actually feels grippy in corners

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot how this works, my safety rating is now 3.42, will I move up to B class at the start of the next season now?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hmmm my Dragula isnt hitting on all cylinders

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I said come in! posted:

I forgot how this works, my safety rating is now 3.42, will I move up to B class at the start of the next season now?

If you have met MPR for your current license (4 races or 4 time trials at C-class), yes. Get it up to 4.0 and meet MPR and it'll bump you immediately.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I said come in! posted:

As long as you've completed your MPR, yeah. This week's advanced mazdas is at Okoyama so it's a good opportunity to knock your MPR out if you haven't already.

If you hit 4.0 and do your MPR you'll go up before season end

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Got out of rookies very cleanly and had a blast. Now I'm trying to put some practice laps around Suzuka in the Ferrari 488 GT3 and whoops hello wall/gravel/grass/the wrong way down the track. I think I may need to tweak my brake bias :ohdear:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Skip is perfect for learning car control. You'll slowly adjust the setup to be less understeery and more oversteery as you get used to it. Then progressing to the more powerful cars is easier.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Skim Milk posted:

Got out of rookies very cleanly and had a blast. Now I'm trying to put some practice laps around Suzuka in the Ferrari 488 GT3 and whoops hello wall/gravel/grass/the wrong way down the track. I think I may need to tweak my brake bias :ohdear:

I said something in the discord yesterday about my disdain for all the D class fixed setup "super sprint" series and this right here is a huge part of it. Going straight from MX-5s to a car that weighs barely 10% more but has nearly 4x as much power and makes a literal ton of downforce is a big leap. Mix in that you have to try to drive it in a race that's so short and frequent that it hugely amplifies both the "have to win it lap 1 turn 1" and "who cares if I wreck, I can just jump into the next race" tendencies that simracers have and you have a recipe for a Bad Time.

Oh, and the fixed setups kind of suck to drive/make the car drive quite a bit differently than it will with a competitive setup in the higher level open series.

I'd like to be able to say to someone fresh out of rookies, "those series aren't for you, they're for more experienced drivers who are short on time and just want to run something that doesn't take long and launches often enough they don't have to schedule their life around it," but iRacing doesn't help because the tin top ladder is... murky, at best. Open wheel people have three series to chose from at D (although USF2000 still has the other problems that come with being a fixed super sprint series, it's at least not a giant leap from MX-5s) but there's nothing with a roof and fenders that's a natural next step. The best advice I think I can give if you're allergic to open wheels is to go back to MX-5s and get to D 4.0 so you can do GT4s. But if you're not, well, Killhour already covered it: get your rear end in a Skip.

Of course, if you fall in to the "short on time and just want frequent, short races" category, then knock yourself out. It would be cool if there was a GT4 super sprint for people straight out of rookies, but there isn't because iRacing. There is, I'm dumb.

Theris fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 31, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Theris posted:

Of course, if you fall in to the "short on time and just want frequent, short races" category, then knock yourself out. It would be cool if there was a GT4 super sprint for people straight out of rookies, but there isn't because iRacing.

BMW 12.0 is D class

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

KillHour posted:

The Skip is perfect for learning car control. You'll slowly adjust the setup to be less understeery and more oversteery as you get used to it. Then progressing to the more powerful cars is easier.

Otoh, the skip has diff lines than most other cars due to its low speed and lack of grip/downforce.

For the longest time, I could only drive the skip, but I think they fixed the tire model enough in most cars such that it’s not so bad anymore. Or I got better at driving but somehow I doubt that

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vando posted:

BMW 12.0 is D class

Ohhhhh cool I missed when they changed it to the M4. That's rad.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Advanced MX5 series is a LOT better than rookie Mazda’s as well, for anyone interested. C-class, Open setup, far more interesting and varied schedule, and clean racing in my experience. I’m really enjoying it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Otoh, the skip has diff lines than most other cars due to its low speed and lack of grip/downforce.

For the longest time, I could only drive the skip, but I think they fixed the tire model enough in most cars such that it’s not so bad anymore. Or I got better at driving but somehow I doubt that

I'm not so sure about that. If per-car irating was a thing I'd be at about the same level in both Skips and GT3s and I can't say I've noticed the lines being different.

My understanding is that the racing line is the racing line, mostly because power and grip tend to scale together. So the only time you'll get significantly different lines is if you're in a car that's well outside a normal power/grip ratio. In iRacing that's the Lotus 49 and maybe the NASCARs, where you'll tend towards later apexes as a result of having way more power vs grip than most cars.

The Skip's lines are pretty normal, because it's both slow and short on grip.

Edit: After thinking some, I think how well a car can take curbs probably has a bigger effect on lines than anything, and that can vary wildly even between cars in the same class: You can yeet the Ferrari GT3 over some curbs that will cause other GT3s to spin if you so much as look at them too long, and that can give very different lines in some corners.

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 31, 2020

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Theris posted:

I'm not so sure about that. If per-car irating was a thing I'd be at about the same level in both Skips and GT3s and I can't say I've noticed the lines being different.

My understanding is that the racing line is the racing line, mostly because power and grip tend to scale together. So the only time you'll get significantly different lines is if you're in a car that's well outside a normal power/grip ratio. In iRacing that's the Lotus 49 and maybe the NASCARs, where you'll tend towards later apexes as a result of having way more power vs grip than most cars.

The Skip's lines are pretty normal, because it's both slow and short on grip.

The lines aren’t drastically different, but the corner mindset is at least different in that you want to carry as much speed into a corner as possible vs other cars which have more power

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MrYenko posted:

The Advanced MX5 series is a LOT better than rookie Mazda’s as well, for anyone interested. C-class, Open setup, far more interesting and varied schedule, and clean racing in my experience. I’m really enjoying it.

I would race this series a lot more if they stuck to smaller tracks that suit the MX5 better. You're right that it's great fun and usually clean racing, but I hate when it's at a track like Spa or Monza and it's just a massive draft fest.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
The SimLabs series is technically a multi-class but at the lower splits it's all Mazdas anyway. The races are longer and pretty good for working up SR.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I would race this series a lot more if they stuck to smaller tracks that suit the MX5 better. You're right that it's great fun and usually clean racing, but I hate when it's at a track like Spa or Monza and it's just a massive draft fest.

This is actually an extremely fair criticism which I 100% agree with.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

This week is at Okayama and it's great for getting SR and eligibility, but yeah spa wasn't that fun in the miata

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

MrYenko posted:

This is actually an extremely fair criticism which I 100% agree with.

It's not the only series that has that problem, it's just something you have to deal with if you want to drive the slower road cars.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Seeing as we can't have nice things this NYE I've put up a session for Mazdas at Donington in ~7 hours from now, lets see how far we can fill the server for the last dregs of 2020

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Rated PG-34 posted:

FR2.0 is in my mind the true starter open wheeler. The Skips have so little downforce, and such poo poo tires they're not like any other open wheeler. Wheras the 2.0 has enough downforce for you to start understanding how to drive these kinds of cars whilst also making sure you don't die in a heap any time you make the littlest mistake.

FR3.5 just ups the ante in giving you a lot more power, more downforce, some better tires and the ability to trigger DRS during races to try to pass people. Plus you can drive it on F1 tracks or non-F1 tracks and it's still a blast.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Thats part of why I really like Skippys, and really don’t like the open wheel cars in iRacing. Downforce cars just have such a different feel to them, and I don’t find the racing to be nearly as interesting.

I really wish the V8 Supercars were more popular in the US. :(

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Did some laps in the FR2.0 at Tsukuba and while it handles ok, the USF2k just feels that much better even with the fixed setup. I keep doing occasional the odd spin in turn 8, a high speed corner. I feel like it’s lacking in force feedback or something.

Edit: watched a tutorial vid and learned there’s a huge bump at turn 8 and that would be why

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 6, 2021

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
So I finally bought the Skip last week and did my first race this week. It seems like in the early part of the run it has a little bit of that lift off looseness but goes away a little bit after a few laps, does anybody else have trouble with that? Granted I'm not a very good road racer so that is probably part of the issue.

First race with it actually went OK considering how low my iRating is and the split I was in. 1x for missing the exit on the bus stop at Watkins Glen and that's it, no wrecks or anything. Though it was a bit demoralizing at the end because I decided to qualify and about half the grid didn't. Start 8, move up to 6 and then it was just a slow decline down to 10th as the faster cars that didn't qualify caught me up and went through. One guy caught and passed me effortlessly on what turned out to be my fastest all time lap (which was like 2 seconds of the pace but still).

Anyway I'll have to up my participation in any kind of gooncar that I can and get my skills up which also of course means dropping even more cash on tracks. Which reminds me I also got a shifter for Xmas, I previously was only using the paddles on the wheel and, despite my performance during the last gooncar, I actually feel more comfortable with the Mazda. I spent some time running Limerock last week and set my fastest laps ever. I also felt more in control during downshifts which shouldn't make sense since I would be controlling the downshift with the paddle as well. But I didn't seem to downshift too early, which with the paddles I would regularly get over excited and shift too early and gently caress myself up. Exciting times and I hope there is a gooncar Skip season again sometime soon.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, the skip can be a little squirrelly before the tires heat up, usually about a lap and a half to two laps. Baseline tuning recommendations are to set your tire pressure much lower than the default (I think I have mine all the way down to 17psi or whatever), and raise your SPO according to the track. I think Dave Cameron runs his at +3 as a baseline. That should help a little, but yeah, the lift-off oversteer is real. Once you get used to it, though, you can use it to your advantage.

As for racing though, don’t worry about getting passed by faster drivers. You really only get dinged on iRating if you’re finishing behind drivers with a lower Elo. As long as you’re able to run consistent, clean laps and aren’t slower than the field by, like, 5s a lap, you’re fine.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Oh yeah I don't actually care about getting beat by faster cars, just a little frustrating to be slowly bleeding positions with nothing to do about it except get out of the way. Just gotta get to practicing and thanks for the tire pressure tip. I made a few pressure adjustments based on how they were growing over long runs but I'm still over 20lbs on all 4 corners.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Seems weird to me to not qualify, it doesn’t take that long to do and given that most of the non-qualifiers are faster than the back third of the qualifiers, they have to waste time passing while risking getting into incidents.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You got your track position through a combination of skill, guile, bravery, good fortune, and good looks. If someone else wants it they can drat well figure out how to get past you the old fashioned way.

Also here’s the video I was talking about (and apologies it was David Sampson, not Dave Cam): https://youtu.be/abprWEtu33k

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Nybble posted:

Seems weird to me to not qualify, it doesn’t take that long to do and given that most of the non-qualifiers are faster than the back third of the qualifiers, they have to waste time passing while risking getting into incidents.

If your end goal is not finishing position and you actually just want SR and don't care about starting in the back and finishing dead last with plenty of room around you then I get it. I had the don't qualify rule for myself in races where I wasn't familiar with the car, or the track or whatever and just wanted some experience but I learned that it is better to qualify and you'll at least outqualify anybody who is way worse than you and anybody who is way better than you who doesn't qualify isn't going to get to you for a few laps so there will be ample opportunity to allow for a safe position transition without losing a lot of time in the process. At least that is what has worked for me in a lot of cases that has allowed me to finish cleanly. The only real risk is qualifying within a half second of like 4 other cars and you're all lumped in together and 2 of the cars around you think they are going to win it all turn 1 lap 1 but luckily for me in road racing I don't have to worry about that too often.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's also more fun to battle through the field than circulate in a 2s bubble in 4th or whatever.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I qualify pretty much all the time now. Only places I prefer to start in the back is an oval I'm unfamiliar with and didn't get any practice running with other cars before the race session, so I'm not sure how to run in traffic, and really tight road courses like the Nordschliefe or Long Beach where I can hang back a bit and miss the carnage. Those end up being a pit lane start if I don't qualify near the front.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I finally clawed my way out of dirt oval rookies. I celebrated by buying the winged sprint cars, and drat near had a religious awakening running the 410’s, in a practice session for the Sling Mud For Fun series. Oh my god it was so fun to drive.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bentai posted:

I finally clawed my way out of dirt oval rookies. I celebrated by buying the winged sprint cars, and drat near had a religious awakening running the 410’s, in a practice session for the Sling Mud For Fun series. Oh my god it was so fun to drive.

They are extremely the good poo poo.

When you get to C(?) when you have heats its even better.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

To the LMP2 driver in 11th place, I’m sorry I took the normal line at Tertre Rouge and “hosed your race”.

edit:

Watching the replay, the best part was a few laps later at the exact same corner. He leaves room, another LMP2 passes him on the inside, and he yells “dude you are so loving reckless!!!!!”

:discourse:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 9, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I saw a Twitch clip yesterday of a dude running first by a long distance in an LMP2 race who divebombed a GT3 car who was already turning in on the last turn of the last lap at Road America and went on a massive rant about GT3 drivers. There is no brain in a lot of prototype drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

njsykora posted:

There is no brain in a lot of prototype drivers.