Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I thought the movie was flawed with a lot of potential on my first watch. Then I started actually reading Gunnm and thinking back it's amazing such a decent retro-adaptation came out of Hollywood. In the light of this perspective really my only major gripes are Hugo's casting and Jashugan getting shamefully axed. I pray that it gets sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jashugan didn't get axed, he is shown explicitly for a sequel if it gets made. :v:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Fair. I just can't fathom how they're going to pace the intended trilogy if they have to fit in more motorball.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I had trepidations about this but was impressed by the faithfulness to the source material and the character they managed to inject into the setting. Basically I agree with everything in the OP. Particularly concerning the eye thing. It was really bugging me in the trailers but it truly becomes invisible very quickly. Thank christ.

That final iconic scene too, tho. drat they nailed it flawlessly.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I got around to watching this on friday having only read up to the second Grewishka fight or so and I was pleasantly surprised. Super happy I bothered to see tthis in IMAX.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

The most glaring omission to me was how they introduced the arc plasma shooting out of her fingers...... and then proceeded to do nothing with it. She kept using the sword instead. Her new body performed identically to her old body.

Overall entertaining adaptation, especially if you manage to keep your hopes low going in

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TalkLittle posted:

The most glaring omission to me was how they introduced the arc plasma shooting out of her fingers...... and then proceeded to do nothing with it. She kept using the sword instead. Her new body performed identically to her old body.

Overall entertaining adaptation, especially if you manage to keep your hopes low going in

the arc plasma is shown shooting out of her fingers... and into her sword

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TalkLittle posted:

The plasma was clearly presented as one half of what made the sword so lethal. The bit where she wraps it in blue flame was a pretty impressive 'oh, right, that's why she can do that' moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Oh okay. I stand corrected. I haven't gotten to the part in the manga introducing the sword, so it wasn't that clear from the movie. The way Zapan described the sword I just assumed the sword had functions like that built-in.