Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Next week's games
Saturday
Hotshots @ Stallions - 3PM (B/R Live)
Express @ Apollos - 8PM (NFL Network)

Sunday
Iron @ Legends - 4PM (CBS Sports Network)
Commanders @ Fleet - 8PM (NFL Network)

Standings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
I believe in the Hack, gonna turn this train around

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
In good news we didn't see a man get paralyzed today

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/18/former-jags-de-ryan-davis-neck-doing-ok-after-being-carted-away-from-apollos-game/

https://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/1097347318561546240

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

So far I’ve watched every Memphis game because of Hack and every Apollos game because as you know they’ve been my favorite team for as long as the AAF has existed.

This week I get to see them share a field. I feel very blessed.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Did we already talk about the behind the back no look pass because lmao BEHIND THE BACK NO LOOK PASS >>>>

https://twitter.com/B1ackSchefter/status/1097338452348203011?s=19

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

weird Asian candy posted:

Did we already talk about the behind the back no look pass because lmao BEHIND THE BACK NO LOOK PASS >>>>

https://twitter.com/B1ackSchefter/status/1097338452348203011?s=19

When Gruden finally cuts Peterman, he has a home waiting for him in the AAF.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
*in 2013 Seahawks fan voice*

"My 2 favorite teams are the Hotshots and the Apollos, it's just so hard to choose!"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Maybe this will clear things up a bit. Sbnation also has a slider thing that shows you which Alma mater has players in each team to help you decide.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/2/18/18223958/aaf-teams-map-which-cheer-for

Personally I'm trapped right between Salt Lake, Arizona and San Diego so that frees me up to choose whoever I want. Given that I'm the forums non - specific football fan I will choose a new one every week. Currently, I am an Orlando Apollos fan with all my heart

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Man those logos are awful. Individually they aren't too, too bad, but when you see them all together it's obvious they were all designed by the same committee.

The Express is the only one that kinda has it's own thing going on.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I ain't rooting for no purple guys, put a team in *rolls dice* New Hampshire then we'll talk. :colbert:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Man those logos are awful. Individually they aren't too, too bad, but when you see them all together it's obvious they were all designed by the same committee.

The Express is the only one that kinda has it's own thing going on.

I recall on one of the broadcasts they mentioned the team that designed all the logos and uniforms; so you're right, they're all from the same agency and they're all just really simple vector images that look like they were designed by a focus group. Maybe a bit too "descriptive."

I'm pretty okay with the Iron and the Hotshots ones. The rest are kinda scrub-tier

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the logos all look better with the team name under it in the official reveal but many look bad on their own. legends looks a lot worse by itself and displayed real big next to other smaller ones, and the logo changes slightly based on whether it's on a white background or purple, and they've used the white background one on a purple background. i am the defender

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 18, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cavauro posted:

the logos all look better with the team name under it in the official reveal but many look bad on their own. legends looks a lot worse by itself and displayed real big next to other smaller ones, and the logo changes slightly based on whether it's on a white background or purple, and they've used the white background one on a purple background. i am the defender

you're right, also I converted that map ghetto style and it got a bunch of jpg artififacts goin on

if we're gonna have the most pointless discussion in the world, the one about team logos in the AAF, let's at least make sure we're fully informed

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Iron: good for what a lovely name the team has
Fleet: decent name and logo

Everyone else back to the loving drawing board

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm sorry.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Express is a pretty good logo. They just need a coach who will bench their quarterback so we don't associate them with...that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Grittybeard posted:

The Express is a pretty good logo. They just need a coach who will bench their quarterback so we don't associate them with...that.

Cut him and use his salary to bribe the refs.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

The name is loving irredeemably bad though so I can't have an opinion on the logo.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The name is loving irredeemably bad though so I can't have an opinion on the logo.

Aren't you a Browns fan? The team with a plain orange helmet. Called the Browns.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The Birmingham Iron name makes sense in that they have the largest cast iron statue in the world as statue of Vulcan

The helmets need work though

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

wandler20 posted:

Aren't you a Browns fan? The team with a plain orange helmet. Called the Browns.

Lmao

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

wandler20 posted:

We're named after a Hall of Fame coach though. There's 2 alternate logos as well, the bulldog and elf...... :saddowns:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Birmingham has literally two things that it's known for: metal and race hate. The Birmingham Bull Connors was already taken by a hockey team.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I'm legit surprised that the league didn't hire a committee to assign rivals like they obviously did with the teams' mottos/first down cheers #ForgeOn

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

The Iron logo looks like a squished coin from an 8 bit video game.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The Atlanta Crown Royals Presented By Diageo

Also, how much did FedEx pay for that name.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Hotshots" is still a bit weird to me because the logo and community outreach is clearly a reference to the Arizona fire rescue units that battle deadly wildfires in the region every year, but the nickname itself is more or less an easy set up for SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS every time they score. Which is not a bad thing for the record, but does kinda send mixed messages.

Then again, MLS has a Bay Area team called the Earthquakes and another team is literally the Chicago Fire, so I guess modern-day leagues don't really care about these cultural nuances as much as we think they do.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 19, 2019

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Benne posted:

"Hotshots" is still a bit weird to me because the logo and community outreach is clearly a reference to the Arizona fire rescue units that battle deadly wildfires in the region every year, but the nickname itself is more or less an easy set up for SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS every time they score. Which is not a bad thing for the record, but does kinda send mixed messages.

Then again, MLS has a Bay Area team called the Earthquakes and another team is literally the Chicago Fire, so I guess modern-day leagues don't really care about these cultural nuances as much as we think they do.

my favorite one was the calgary flames' minor league mascot reveal where "scorch" killed a fireman in a parody of a real life fire and did a fortnite dance

quote:

“Earlier today we unveiled our new mascot Scorch. In an attempt to provide background material for the character who will be the face of our team, particularly with young fans, we crafted a story that Scorch was the remaining ember from the tragic fire that destroyed much of Glens Falls in 1864.

“We also crafted a skit that helped to launch the new mascot — with the help of the Glens Falls Fire Department. While it seemed in good taste when it was on the drawing board, it is evident now that it was in poor taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc7XQL4PnBo

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i died but i got better

#strikeiron

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i had to google to remember where alabama was in the south

i just knew it was "down there"

and kinda close to lousiaian

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

hifi posted:

my favorite one was the calgary flames' minor league mascot reveal where "scorch" killed a fireman in a parody of a real life fire and did a fortnite dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc7XQL4PnBo

:stonklol:

lmao that sure is something.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/jjones9/status/1097836110695288832

this seems like a very poor sign

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Hustlin Floh posted:

Birmingham has literally two things that it's known for: metal and race hate. The Birmingham Bull Connors was already taken by a hockey team.

The Birmingham hockey team is, in fact, called the Bulls. However, the original Birmingham Bulls of the WHA moved from Toronto, where they were the Toronto Toros. They moved to Birmingham in the mid-70's and kept their logo; they are not named for Bull Connor.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

i cant believe the orlando apollos will be the only team to ever win an AAF championship

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Well, time go hard on the one season of fun.

Let's start getting the Sarah McLaughlin "I will remember you" montage videos ready for the AAF.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Arizona Hotshots will forever remain undefeated.

:rip:

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

waah posted:

Well, time go hard on the one season of fun.

Let's start getting the Sarah McLaughlin "I will remember you" montage videos ready for the AAF.

Anybody got the gist of the rest of this article? NHL dude dumped a quarter billion dollars on the AAF and now what, he gets to name the teams after his kids or something? Does that much money get them through the season, at least? What does he stand to gain from this, except the excitement of losing a quarter of a billion dollars?

Where did the original people running this think that kind of money would show up from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

save the AAF league.