Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There's a school teacher in Victoria who has been slowly rebuilding a Fairmont GXL 351, not sure if the series will help you as such with the Barra conversion, but might help you with any interior work or hard to find parts for the XC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zbHVqpkgjs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ansith posted:

His build is great, I was following it a while back but when he took a break I stopped. I'll need to catch up on it.

There has been a few times that I've referenced his videos on how to do something.
Yeah, Peter is pretty thorough with his build, even getting stuff plated and the body/metal work he's been doing to it. It's gonna be a sweet ride once it is going, which probably isn't too far away as he has had all the glass installed into it in the last video update.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's amazing how many XCs I used to see in the 80s and 90s with saggy rear springs. They always looked like some old gasser drag car. Also see through doors with the rust

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SDnJAYeN6c

Peter Wherritt's review of (at that time) the latest Fairmont GXL

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ansith posted:

Saw that a few weeks ago, watched a few of his others too. He rated it pretty decently, going off some of his other reviews of Australian cars he was usually pretty harsh.
Yeah, compare it to his review of the HX Holden where he absolutely bagged the poo poo out of it, it was surprising for Wherritt to be so positive about the Fairmont. Too bad it took Ford until the XF mid-refresh to make all wheel disc brakes standard across the passenger (not ute or van) line.

I can't remember, have you done any work to the front end?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Is your rear sway bar disconnected on the driver's side? Something seems to be hanging pretty low on it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Good to see the old thing getting some work done. I've just moved home and hoping to get started on some work on my old XP ute

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I think NinjaTech is talking about the US Ford Maverick. I don't think the Aussie 250/4.1lt alloy head will fit the US 250 block, as Ford Australia did some changes to the block when they moved to cross flow heads.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

NinjaTech posted:

I can't find any information saying what changes there were or that it won't work. The only info I'm seeing says that the 60's-80's Aussie heads fit but it's all pretty vague or lovely forum posts.

This site has a great write up on a cross flow 250 from an XF Falcon being put into a 65 Mustang - https://fordsix.com/archive/www.classicinlines.com/XFswap.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sorry to see that news about your friend :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I didn't know that about the LPG Barra motors. That explains a YouTuber I saw (Fuel Injection Sucks) used a LPG motor as their base for a turbo setup