Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh poo poo you're gonna Barra turbo it now rather than NA???? Hahahah holy crap that old girl is going to be frighteningly fast even if you leave the motor resonably stock. A mate had a FG Barra T and that thing leapt into hyperspace after 80kph, I cant imagine what a considerably lighter car would do. Oh wait I can, 10 sec quarter.

Hope you are putting on some drat good brakes :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ansith posted:

I think this car might scare me when it's done, I'm too used to driving slow cars. I'll probably stick to the stock tune for a little while and get it tuned later on when I'm confident that transmission will last. My goal is an 11 second 1/4, I have a feeling that won't be too hard.

Stocko XC front and XG rear... that's good right? I'm thinking about one of those Wilwood kits for the front, I'll see what my wallet looks like when the motor is in and running.

I've seen bolt on's on Barra's and older Falcons do 10's. I honestly wouldn't be surprised you are dealing with a 11 sec car straight away without really doing much at all, you have what... about 200kgs less weight to start with? Your old XC might be big and steel but it just doesn't have the crash cell and luxury poo poo the FG does. So the FG stock can do 12.8... you got 1704kgs kerb weight verses the XC's 1475. You look funny at a Barra and you get 50 more KW.... so we could legit see a high 11 immediately depending on a good launch

https://www.whichcar.com.au/tv/drag-racing/nine-second-barra-powered-ford-xw-falcon-video - 9 sec XW and really, the bolt ons aren't too over the top at all.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

The BA engines had a few issues that they worked out by the time they made the FG motors didn't they? I can't remember exactly what off the top of my head, but I remember Al from the Skid Factory saying something about it when they were taking the Cresta through Drag Week.

I know you're supposed to swap out the valve springs and oil pump if you're going to run decent boost at least, but it's definitely less effort for the power you get than almost any other engine.

Yeah a couple which I think they also go through on the Bedford build. Mostly along he lines of well you should reaaaaally do that anyway........ (head studs, valve springs, oiling). Yes hte FG Barra def is the one to use but the BA/BF Barra motors are a known quantity and the weak points are easily fixed.

Also another series to look at for Barras is StreetMachine's Barra Taxi. Might even be more appropriate in this case as I think they did use a BA Barra and go through what you need to to to get 11's (not much). Hell you want to pull a 10 and done? There's a bolt on kit for that.

Edit - https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/barra-engine-swap-holden-vs-commodure-ute A full swap to go 10's in a VS for under 10K including car cost and transmission and suspension. Lists the mods required (Not much) also shown.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 19, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

Decided to go with a rebuild of the GT3582r that came with the motor, a place down in Victoria has a good name for doing high flow rebuilds of them for falcons capable of 450rwkw. Genuine GTX core, ceramic bearings, machined custom compressor wheel, and wastegate flapper mod. My mate also convinced me to notch my shock tower, so I won't need to use a high mount manifold. So in the end this way will save me 2-3 grand over high mount and new gen 2 garrett.

HAHAHAHAHA. gently caress 10's, this poo poo has 9's written all over it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

NinjaTech posted:

How hard is it to get an alloy crossflow head for those 250 engines? I'm trying to convince my friend to put one on his Maverick's engine instead of the lovely single barrel manifold head.

Wonder if someone's Barra'ed a Maverick / GQ Patrol?

*checks*

Yeeeep, Of COURSEsomeone's Barra'ed a Maverick / GQ Patrol. Getting tot he point where it's easier to ask what hasn't been Barra'ed