Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NJM
Jan 3, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

Clarence Thomas: Did you see that John Oliver offered me a million dollars a year for the rest of my life and a luxury motorcoach?
Some Billionaire rear end in a top hat: I did. It was so insulting towards you.
Clarence Thomas: I'm glad we agree. So... what's your counter offer?

Yeah, this is what's going to happen, assuming Thomas even hears about the offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah I dunno what this bit is hoping to accomplish other than him getting even more poo poo from his "friends"

Hmm keep my ultra powerful position and get even more ridiculous bribes or admit I'm a complete immortal whore in front of everyone, lose my billionaire sugar daddies and hope this totally legit contract holds up. What a decision!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah I dunno what this bit is hoping to accomplish other than him getting even more poo poo from his "friends"

Hmm keep my ultra powerful position and get even more ridiculous bribes or admit I'm a complete immortal whore in front of everyone, lose my billionaire sugar daddies and hope this totally legit contract holds up. What a decision!

I think it’s meant to make people talk about Last Week Tonight and tune in for future episodes

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
It also helps underscore the absurdity of such offers to supreme court judges not being in any way illegal

Like that's the whole point, by the rules the Supreme Court operates under none of the Justices, nor the billionaires involved in this, have done anything wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Oliver kept pointing out that he was straight up offering a Supreme Court Justice a blatant and unmistakeable bribe but that according to the show's lawyer it was a completely legal thing to do. At the end he's just throwing money in the air yelling,"I can't believe this is legal!"

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

The lavish trips appear to be the most common form of "bribe". There's the thing where someone bought his mother's house and let her live there for free. And then you have the motorhome "loan" that was later forgiven....which looks to be the closest thing to people actually outright paying him. But as far as I know....he's stopped short of straight up accepting cash (outside of the motorhome loan).....not that it makes the other forms of compensation okay.

I'm just saying that this "bit" appears to be more than just a throw away. A million dollars per year (plus a new motorhome that has to be worth a million or more alone) and Thomas could pay for his own vacations to wherever he wanted to go.....beholden to no billionaire "friends". Would probably allow him to live quite a bit more lavishly than he does now.....and he could retire. Just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if this deal (if executable) wasn't truly considered.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He also got 100k in private school tuition for his nephew or whoever.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I feel like in the wild chance Clarence takes up the offer HBO would just increase Johns salary by a mil later on because the publicity from him doing that would be worth way more

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

I forget, how soon are the segments usually available on YouTube?

Last Week Tonight's twitter feed confirmed that network asshats at Max will now force them to wait until tuesdays to upload segments :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sure okay posted:

I feel like in the wild chance Clarence takes up the offer HBO would just increase Johns salary by a mil later on because the publicity from him doing that would be worth way more

Yeah if he actually ended up giving Biden a shot at nominating a supreme court member that'd be huge ....... even though congress would stall it indefinitely just like the last time

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thomas is living a lifestyle that's beyond someone making a million dollars a year partly because he doesn't pay for any of these vacations. His wife was also getting paid nearly that for made up jobs that were funded by large donations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure all the extra curricular stuff they do would put him over that anyways. Google says his net worth is 4 million so he don’t need the money, he likes the power.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Narcissus1916 posted:

Last Week Tonight's twitter feed confirmed that network asshats at Max will now force them to wait until tuesdays to upload segments :(

https://deadline.com/2024/02/last-week-tonight-john-oliver-main-story-release-delayed-youtube-hbo-1235831235/

Thursday according to deadline

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
even if the money & benefits were poo poo (they aint) getting to be one of the nine most powerful high elders of the nation is way to good to give up

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

World Famous W posted:

even if the money & benefits were poo poo (they aint) getting to be one of the nine most powerful high elders of the nation is way to good to give up

Yeah, especially since he's a True Believer - he's been waiting years for a SCOTUS composition like this to get his agenda through. He's not going anywhere.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The SCOTUS/Thomas clip (30 mins) is now on Youtube, if someone was waiting for it to get uploaded.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m sure all the extra curricular stuff they do would put him over that anyways. Google says his net worth is 4 million so he don’t need the money, he likes the power.

quote:

The liberals made my life miserable for 43 years," a former clerk remembered Thomas – who was 43 years old when confirmed – saying, according to The New York Times. "And I'm going to make their lives miserable for 43 years."

he's doing it to spite the libs and get free poo poo while doing it

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbzW9qcVBJ0

Full episode uploads on youtube! :toot: I'll prolly keep my MAX sub anyways because they're not subtitled, but at least it's nice to know the show's more widely available.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ignis posted:

Full episode uploads on youtube! :toot: I'll prolly keep my MAX sub anyways because they're not subtitled, but at least it's nice to know the show's more widely available.

"Not available in your country" (US)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
also not available in Canada

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Was there a new episode tonight?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought the way that pig butchering (not bacon and pork) story was put together and escalated to higher and higher states of revolting actions was pretty masterfully done. The video of the human trafficking victims getting beaten by their captors was pretty loving horrifying, Jesus.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ignis posted:

Not available in Italy. Wonder which countries are allowed to see it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SlowBloke posted:

Not available in Italy. Wonder which countries are allowed to see it.

Wherever you don't have an official way of watching it, I guess?

https://www.reddit.com/r/johnoliver/comments/1aznof4/good_news/

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Aw man, the opening made me google Flaco :smith:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
really enjoyed this week's episode because I have gotten tons of these texts and even respond to them sometimes. pretty horrifying to find out who's actually doing it though

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Kanfy posted:

Wherever you don't have an official way of watching it, I guess?

https://www.reddit.com/r/johnoliver/comments/1aznof4/good_news/

I'm in Mexico and can see it. It's also on Max here (with a two day delay) :shrug:

I'll prolly keep my sub anyways because I really enjoy reading the Latam Spanish translation. Plus they don't have the first seven seasons in there anymore (and there's a non zero chance they won't carry the seasons they do have to Max when they do the name swap this week), so it'll be handy to have the full episodes uploaded somewhere

Ignis fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 26, 2024

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This week mentions Anthony Comstock who was a genuine insane monster. Some of the people who he got arrested committed suicide and not only wasn't he bothered about it, he thought it was exiting to read about it. He also became incredible unpopular as this cartoon illustrates:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Noticed that the Max app took away the first 9 seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I knew student loans in America in particular were bad, but holy poo poo :stare:

The reveal that of the 2 million people who had signed up for the plan that forgives your loan after 10 years of public service, 99% had been rejected when they hit 10 years and requested their loan be dismissed was just batshit insane.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Makes me apprechiate the Norwegian system even more.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I knew student loans in America in particular were bad, but holy poo poo :stare:

The reveal that of the 2 million people who had signed up for the plan that forgives your loan after 10 years of public service, 99% had been rejected when they hit 10 years and requested their loan be dismissed was just batshit insane.

My mother in law was one of those people. She had applied twice and been denied (parent plus loan too).

After a lot of work, I convinced her to apply again once Biden announced the new changes, and it was accepted and zeroed out. Like $50k of loans gone in a flash. It was exactly as they described on the show. Paying for over 10 years, never missed a payment, the balance had only gone down $2000 despite a ~$500 monthly.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Didn't even touch on the predatory poo poo that the Federal loan agencies got up to during the time. Like frequently talking students into talking bigger loans than they needed, selling students on supplemental loans so they could focus on school without working. As soon as schools started banning credit card companies from campus Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac started taking up the space.

Personally, when Fannie Mae sold my loan it went from 60/40 principle/interest to 80/20, adding 5 years and $8k to my loan. They technically have to notify you when they change the distribution but no one is properly over seeing it

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My wife’s got forgiven recently. She had been working in public sector for over ten years so after sending in the paperwork to verify we should have been owed some of that money back because we overpaid some but the loan people were like, so you aren’t happy the loan was forgiven? Thanks fuckos.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

My mother in law was one of those people. She had applied twice and been denied (parent plus loan too).

After a lot of work, I convinced her to apply again once Biden announced the new changes, and it was accepted and zeroed out. Like $50k of loans gone in a flash. It was exactly as they described on the show. Paying for over 10 years, never missed a payment, the balance had only gone down $2000 despite a ~$500 monthly.

That's incredibly hosed up and I'm sorry your mother-in-law had to deal with all that bullshit, but man it must have been an amazing loving weight off when that 50k burden was suddenly just... gone.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The US is a shithole.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
One which requires a permanent underclass to keep its economy working

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

pwn posted:

One which requires a permanent underclass to keep its economy working

:capitalism:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

One thing I'm very glad that John covered about this topic was the fact that almost everyone who applies for any white-collar type work is barred from entry unless you have bare minimum a Bachelor's degree.

I can't tell you the number of jobs I've applied for, went through the nightmare string of endless interviews, had an offer for the position at the finish line, only to have it rescinded at the last second because I was only able to secure an associates degree due to finances. It puts you in a no-win position where you can't get your foot in the door unless you have a 4 year degree (with 2 of those years being completely useless towards your career) but you also can't really afford to commit to that high of an educational expense unless you want to be stuck with the primary entrapment of student loans :gibs:

Took me almost 5 years of searching before I was finally able to land a permanent career position, I wouldn't wish that hell on anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They touched on it a bit as examples, but I wish they focused in on how much higher the interest rates are for student loans. That's the biggest culprit and "gently caress you" part of this. And also where we differ from most other countries.

After years of wrangling I finally found solid (and remote!) employment right before COVID hit. I was luckily in a position to finally be able to make a real dent in my loans. But literally every financial expert and advisor told me that because of interest rates the best, smartest choice was just to pay the bare minimum amount for the foreseeable.