Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

White Light posted:

One thing I'm very glad that John covered about this topic was the fact that almost everyone who applies for any white-collar type work is barred from entry unless you have bare minimum a Bachelor's degree.

I can't tell you the number of jobs I've applied for, went through the nightmare string of endless interviews, had an offer for the position at the finish line, only to have it rescinded at the last second because I was only able to secure an associates degree due to finances. It puts you in a no-win position where you can't get your foot in the door unless you have a 4 year degree (with 2 of those years being completely useless towards your career) but you also can't really afford to commit to that high of an educational expense unless you want to be stuck with the primary entrapment of student loans :gibs:

Took me almost 5 years of searching before I was finally able to land a permanent career position, I wouldn't wish that hell on anyone.

when he mentioned the bit about administration and otherwise entry-level positions requiring a Bachelor's degree at a minimum, I thought he was going to make a comment on how those are just legal ways to screen and weed out the "undesirables" because a majority of people that I do see in positions like that usually got it because they're friends of someone higher up already. Hell, most work I get in my profession I probably could've gotten without having pursued a Master's, but I got it anyway because I was fed a line of "this is your path to success".

Granted, I'm Canadian, so our student loan system isn't nearly as hosed. Our national program is administered directly through the federal government bureaucracy, repayment and everything, so we don't have to futz around with third parties or private collectors (unless you default, but even then it isn't even a fraction as hosed as what they were showing in the episode). I don't believe we did a loan forgiveness thing here, but that may be because my loans were only about $20k or so and I didn't go to Med school or some other stupid expensive and long program. We did make our national loans interest free and there are repayment options available, so not as lovely as the situation in the US, but still pretty sucky if all you can manage after a 4 year degree is working at a fast food restaurant or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

They touched on it a bit as examples, but I wish they focused in on how much higher the interest rates are for student loans. That's the biggest culprit and "gently caress you" part of this. And also where we differ from most other countries.

After years of wrangling I finally found solid (and remote!) employment right before COVID hit. I was luckily in a position to finally be able to make a real dent in my loans. But literally every financial expert and advisor told me that because of interest rates the best, smartest choice was just to pay the bare minimum amount for the foreseeable.

Yep that's exactly what I've been told for mine. I pay the minimum and just consider it like insurance or whatever as something that just lowers my take home pay every month. I've payed for around 9 years on mine and I think it's gone down about 2k of the ~55k I have. I was lucky to get most of my Master's paid for so that loan is gone but I just don't see any way to pay off the undergraduate unless I somehow land a job that pays around 3x as much as I'm making now. I haven't gotten around to trying out the new payment plan they released but I probably need to try and apply for that before the summer changes come into affect regarding it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I suppose it's a worthless observation, but it seems that if the government had never started with the student loans, the pool of college-educated workers would've stayed smaller and every job today wouldn't require a 4-year degree.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Narcissus1916 posted:

They touched on it a bit as examples, but I wish they focused in on how much higher the interest rates are for student loans. That's the biggest culprit and "gently caress you" part of this. And also where we differ from most other countries.

After years of wrangling I finally found solid (and remote!) employment right before COVID hit. I was luckily in a position to finally be able to make a real dent in my loans. But literally every financial expert and advisor told me that because of interest rates the best, smartest choice was just to pay the bare minimum amount for the foreseeable.

When I graduated with my BS & MBA about ten years ago.....I lived with my parents for a couple years and dumped money into paying off my highest interest rates loans (6-7%). The rest (which was still a lot) were in the 3.7-5.4% range if I remember correctly. Well.....everytime a new provider comes in and "consolidates" the loans.....the interest rates change (go up). lol.....I just checked mine on Mohela and my rate is 6.55%. It's such a sham.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

RestingB1tchFace posted:

When I graduated with my BS & MBA about ten years ago.....I lived with my parents for a couple years and dumped money into paying off my highest interest rates loans (6-7%). The rest (which was still a lot) were in the 3.7-5.4% range if I remember correctly. Well.....everytime a new provider comes in and "consolidates" the loans.....the interest rates change (go up). lol.....I just checked mine on Mohela and my rate is 6.55%. It's such a sham.

How on earth is it legal to just package your debt, sell it off, and the new owner raises the interest rate on you? That's literally just straight up thievery.

Actually, I haven't watched this ep yet, maybe Jon goes into that.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

zzMisc posted:

How on earth is it legal to just package your debt, sell it off, and the new owner raises the interest rate on you? That's literally just straight up thievery.

Actually, I haven't watched this ep yet, maybe Jon goes into that.

I have no idea how it's legal. But since I got out of school about ten years ago.....my loans have been transferred to a new "servicer" at least a couple of times.

Edit: I misspoke. The 6.55% isn't uniform over all eight of my loans. I do have some that are lower. Still am quite sure that I had none over with rates over 6% remaining.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 27, 2024

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

About this week's episode: In Norway the people working in food delivery actually went on strike for a month. They got a raise, a money compensation for buying their own gear and more money for delivering food during the winter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah delivery apps are hosed up in a whole lot of ways, I remember reading articles even before the pandemic about how they were massively exploiting delivery drivers via independent contractor loopholes. I'm pretty sure they had to change the laws here in Australia to curb some of the more egregious fuckery.

Here's a video from a youtuber which covers an angle that John Oliver didn't mention: the explosion in fake restaurants/dark kitchens which was only made possible by the rising popularity of delivery apps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkIkymh5Ayg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It blows my mind every time I see a look into stuff like Uber or the food apps in this ep, and you get interviews with the guys running them straight up saying on camera,"Yeah we just knowingly and repeatedly broke the law v:shobon:v" and the people interviewing or reporting on them (though not John Oliver in this case) just go,"Huh, okay well no need to follow up on that any further."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It blows my mind every time I see a look into stuff like Uber or the food apps in this ep, and you get interviews with the guys running them straight up saying on camera,"Yeah we just knowingly and repeatedly broke the law v:shobon:v" and the people interviewing or reporting on them (though not John Oliver in this case) just go,"Huh, okay well no need to follow up on that any further."

That's because they, like in this case, thinks that it's a good thing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1777184121736802676?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

LWT doing some real-rear end journalism tonight

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The death penalty journalism stirring up poo poo was excellent (if horrifying), but the end funny bit was fantastic. They find the weirdest ways of burning HBO money in a furnace.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rappaport posted:

The death penalty journalism stirring up poo poo was excellent (if horrifying), but the end funny bit was fantastic. They find the weirdest ways of burning HBO money in a furnace.

I wish they did stuff like that more. It’s genuinely where the show shines, and it hits almost every time.

The gently caress rats saga, the secret commercial scripts, the waste management plant, etc etc etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Great (and horrible) story on the Death Penalty, no wonder they ended on the wholesome bit with Ilgar :shobon:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
tracking down a stock photo model is impressive, not quite on the level of getting to watch a tiny hamster eat a tiny burrito like the other time we had to sit through a capital punishment story, but I'll take it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I wish they did stuff like that more. It’s genuinely where the show shines, and it hits almost every time.

The gently caress rats saga, the secret commercial scripts, the waste management plant, etc etc etc.

Don't forget that time he made a bunch of mascots for a whole bunch of surveillance agencies!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
John Oliver on helium sounds like a Warner Brother

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh boy that was a really shallow dive into UFO stuff, they didn't even touch on all the wacky poo poo that has been coming out of Mexico lately.

If anyone's wondering about the navy aircraft footage that was shown during this episode, here's a bunch of special effects artists who know a lot of stuff about cameras and parallax motion and iris bokehs and poo poo like that debunking them. This video is three years old but this poo poo just keeps coming up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHDlfIaBEqw

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Corridors done like four or five of these UFO debunks

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Nico comes off as really smart about vfx stuff, and I could listen to him explain things all day. I just wish they'd stop giving airtime to that younger guy (Wren? The "wackier" one.) Something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gromit posted:

Nico comes off as really smart about vfx stuff, and I could listen to him explain things all day. I just wish they'd stop giving airtime to that younger guy (Wren? The "wackier" one.) Something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

They're genuinely knowledgeable about certain subjects (specific aspects of video camera technology causing weird visual anomalies being one of them) but they also have a tendency to be shitlord techbros in other regards, if someone else had've made a similar video debunking those Pentagon UFO videos I would've posted them instead because there's a lot about them that rubs me the wrong way

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

My mother in law was one of those people. She had applied twice and been denied (parent plus loan too).

After a lot of work, I convinced her to apply again once Biden announced the new changes, and it was accepted and zeroed out. Like $50k of loans gone in a flash. It was exactly as they described on the show. Paying for over 10 years, never missed a payment, the balance had only gone down $2000 despite a ~$500 monthly.

That's 10 years of making payments while working in the public sector, right? My mom has ParentPlus loans but she's worked for a retail company the whole time.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

That's 10 years of making payments while working in the public sector, right? My mom has ParentPlus loans but she's worked for a retail company the whole time.

Yes. The ten year thing is the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
No new episode this week, enjoy all of season 1 instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJAcmSbtURo

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
That's awesome they did that. I wanted to go back and watch some old episodes about a year ago and was bummed that they only had the two most recent seasons on max to stream.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've said that seasons 2-8 will also be up on YouTube soon.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I don't think I've ever seen season 1, looking at my perfectly legally acquired VHS collection I started watching from the start of season 2. I'm not sure how much of it is watchable now after 10 years, I feel like its meant to be watched when its relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I don't think I've ever seen season 1, looking at my perfectly legally acquired VHS collection I started watching from the start of season 2. I'm not sure how much of it is watchable now after 10 years, I feel like its meant to be watched when its relevant.

Season 1 is where they were still trying to do the Daily-Show-style week-in-review news with an interview at the end, which even John admits was not a great choice.