Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

Cities and towns are supposed to provide that poo poo. Offloading it to what amounts to private governments is always, always, always bad and never a "necessary" evil.

Yes but then poor people might use those pools and playgrouns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Most HOA’s are fine and literally run by your neighbors.

As long as "your neighbors" are all absentee landlords and house-flippers. They serve the interests of no one else.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Madurai posted:

As long as "your neighbors" are all absentee landlords and house-flippers. They serve the interests of no one else.

Even then "your neighbors" typically are the people who have the time/money/care to run for the HOA board who usually end up being petty tyrants with the ability to fine you.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Magtoiletolia.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Perhaps notable, no see you next week signoff this week probably because, well...

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/wga-picket-survey-1235599245/

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

that was motherfucking art, drat

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I don't think Matthew McConaughey is okay

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

edit: lol this isn't the teacher thread

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 2, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

Magtoiletolia.
Was seriously amazing.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Azhais posted:

Cocaine toilet

I doubt it's going to be anything action based, that's their whole gimmick. It'll be something like steel magnolias

Ha, you almost got it

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The Toilet movie was perfection.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
It’s back

https://twitter.com/lastweektonight/status/1707065066988749117?s=61&t=HOGPAau1bu440W3jZ4WoUw

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
LOL that this is how I learn the strike is over.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bertha the Toaster posted:

LOL that this is how I learn the strike is over.

I saw yesterday that there was an offer to vote on, but I hadn't heard it was ratified so quickly

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not officially ratified yet, it was approved in principle by the leaders of the union. It goes to member vote in a week or two but writers can return to work until then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My understanding is that they got a lot of what they were asking for so it is pretty much a shoe in to get ratified.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

muscles like this! posted:

My understanding is that they got a lot of what they were asking for so it is pretty much a shoe in to get ratified.

I read it yesterday so it's already fading into nothingness in my brain, but iirc the new deal is ~2.5x better than their current and about half of what they were asking for, so probably as good as anyone could have reasonably expected.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
It'll be great to have him back, especially in a week where Commander bit another Secret Service agent and the British Museum is asking the public for help finding/returning stolen artifacts. But I'll miss the Strike Force Five podcast.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Is he not still beholden to the SAG strike? Probably a stupid question since it's coming back but I thought it would still count for John.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ChaosReaper posted:

Is he not still beholden to the SAG strike? Probably a stupid question since it's coming back but I thought it would still count for John.

I think everyone agrees that, whatever it is that he does, Oliver does not :airquote: act. :airquote:

:glomp:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The part of the SAG contract that covers talk shows wasn't up for renewal and wasn't part of the strike.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving hell how does John's team keep discovering multi-billion dollar industries I'd never heard of which are severely loving over a portion of the population but my immediate reaction is always "Well yeah I should have guessed this was happening, it's super obvious in hindsight"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I had no idea Cop Slide was a thing. Or that congressman reading those comments.

Jeez... this is what happens when comedy writers go on strike: I stop finding out about real-life comedy. (I know it wasn't just comedy writers, BTW.)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

loving hell how does John's team keep discovering multi-billion dollar industries I'd never heard of which are severely loving over a portion of the population but my immediate reaction is always "Well yeah I should have guessed this was happening, it's super obvious in hindsight"

That's generations of privatization at work. It's rampaged unchecked for so long that one of the weird side effects is greedy assholes are running out of systems to co-op and extract profit from. They plucked all the low-hanging fruit decades ago, so now you get stories of motherfuckers somehow siphoning millions out of the color purple or some poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dammit, I always knew that the homeschooling system was going to be all kinds of hosed up but I was still surpised at how amazingly hosed up it really is

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Norway sheep eye is considered a delicacy. I've seen lot's of sheep eyes in kitchens. I've eaten sheep eyes.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

SMDH, they showed a close-up of Gym Jordans note and did not point out or even mention the crude doodle of two figures of differential height, one of them sporting what very clearly appears to be a dick and matching balls.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked how the "how many pigs are there in China" wasn't asked to see if the applicant could find out how many pigs there are but to see how good they are at coming up with convincing bullshit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's actually a fairly common analytics qiestion and staging it as 'how good are you at bullshit' is kind of selling it short.

It's goal is to test the applicants structured reasoning skills. If you can build a sound hypothesis with a large number of variables than you obviously do well when dealing with known qualities.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've definitely come across that type of question before, another one I think was "how many windows are there in Manhattan" or something like that. Same idea, nobody is going to have an accurate official number so you have to show how you'd estimate it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, I had one those kind of Fermi questions in basically every application process.
Of course you can google "How many pigs in China." but that's not the point at all and it's honestly silly for John to suggest that.

What you're supposed to do is to say something like "There are x_1 people in China. A pig gives x_2 usable servings. The average Chinese person would eat x_3 servings a weak so roughly 50*x_3 servings a year. We can assume that all pigs are eventually eaten, so there is a stable amount of pigs around. A pig will take x_4 years to mature to slaughtering age. Given all these factors a reasonable number would be x_1*x_2*50*x_3*x_4."

The actual numbers for those variables are completely irrelevant, but if you try to make vague estimations for them, you will end up on the right ballpark.
Nobody cares for the final number. But the interviewer might note how this answer disregards the effects of import and export of pigs and pork, which might skew the estimation drastically.

McKenzie is an evil company with deplorable opinions and working conditions and I know a few people who ended up working for those assholes. But the fact that their applications sometimes use Fermi questions is a weird point to ridicule.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 24, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, I had one those kind of Fermi questions in basically every application process.
Of course you can google "How many pigs in China." but that's not the point at all and it's honestly silly for John to suggest that.

What you're supposed to do is to say something like "There are x_1 people in China. A pig gives x_2 usable servings. The average Chinese person would eat x_3 servings a weak so roughly 50*x_3 servings a year. We can assume that all pigs are eventually eaten, so there is a stable amount of pigs around. A pig will take x_4 years to mature to slaughtering age. Given all these factors a reasonable number would be x_1*x_2*50*x_3*x_4."

The actual numbers for those variables are completely irrelevant, but if you try to make vague estimations for them, you will end up on the right ballpark.
Nobody cares for the final number. But the interviewer might note how this answer disregards the effects of import and export of pigs and pork, which might skew the estimation drastically.

McKenzie is an evil company with deplorable opinions and working conditions and I know a few people who ended up working for those assholes. But the fact that their applications sometimes use Fermi questions is a weird point to ridicule.

Honestly, I’d guess it was a creative decision due to lack of content. Their writers room has been proven quite smart and well researched, and I imagine they were fully aware of why those questions are asked.

With such little public, verifiable (this is important) information on McKenzie, they probably had been far enough along in the episode progress where they couldn’t not make the episode before they ran outta jokes that fit the tone of the show and needed to fill time or funny bits.

I’d also assume McKenzie is extremely sue-happy over non-public information, because whenever John brings out the “my lawyers told me” line that’s usually the reason. Combo of that, plus minimal public information and people unlikely to go on record in Court over private information gives them a lot of stuff they probably had to cut.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The fact that McKinsey presents Fermi questions as some sort of secret sauce for what makes their consultants so “good” when it’s just bog-standard back-of-the-envelope guesstimating is more than worthy of mockery. Google and the other FAANG corps were using the same sort of questions for years and dropped them because they were useless for divining whether or not a potential hire would be any good at the job.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Freaquency posted:

The fact that McKinsey presents Fermi questions as some sort of secret sauce for what makes their consultants so “good” when it’s just bog-standard back-of-the-envelope guesstimating is more than worthy of mockery. Google and the other FAANG corps were using the same sort of questions for years and dropped them because they were useless for divining whether or not a potential hire would be any good at the job.

That interview was from 1999, so the job interview was even earlier. It was really cutting edge back then. But it feels quite outdated, yes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That's complete nonsense though. What you're doing is literally making up bullshit and padding it out to make it sound plausible. Your assumptions are unfounded and your numbers are made up out of nothing. You will not end up in the right ballpark, except through blind luck. The correct answer is to google it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

But it's not a Fermi question? There are data on how many pigs there are in the various countries. You don't need vague estimations because we have the numbers already.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There probably was data on how many piano tuners happened to reside in Chicago, just by looking at a phone book. The point of the exercise is to make an estimate.

It's still a bull-poo poo question to ask in a job interview, but they're all bull-poo poo questions.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Tiggum posted:

That's complete nonsense though. What you're doing is literally making up bullshit and padding it out to make it sound plausible. Your assumptions are unfounded and your numbers are made up out of nothing. You will not end up in the right ballpark, except through blind luck. The correct answer is to google it.

You wouldn't tell BP to just "Google it" when they come to you with organizational problems. You tell them you'll save them billions with strategic realignments based on fact-checked data algorithms (aka layoffs and C-suite bonuses).

The question is perfect for the kind of people McKenzie wants: A-type bullshitters who can polish the optics of a business wanting to launder their most selfish actions onto someone else. Getting to the correct number is not the point.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Did anyone notice that when they were quoting from a McKenzie e-mail (twice), they showed a longer segment of the message that clearly indicated McKenzie was "cautioning" them about what they said in the segment?

An interesting way to put that out there without putting that out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sure okay posted:

You wouldn't tell BP to just "Google it" when they come to you with organizational problems. You tell them you'll save them billions with strategic realignments based on fact-checked data algorithms (aka layoffs and C-suite bonuses).

The question is perfect for the kind of people McKenzie wants: A-type bullshitters who can polish the optics of a business wanting to launder their most selfish actions onto someone else. Getting to the correct number is not the point.
Right. But here's the post I was responding to:

They're not saying that you're supposed to bullshit the answer because that's what the job entails. They're saying that the question is actually good and reasonable for the reasons that McKenzie claim it is.