Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Phenotype posted:

Why do they only ever decrease in value? Are they just made from much shittier materials than real homes?

Houses go up in value because of the land rather than the house itself. Over time the house itself just has more damage and wear and tear on it, which brings down its value. Since mobile homes don't have any ownership rights to the land, it makes sense they would only go down in value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Who would decide where people could live in these scenarios? If housing becomes free and people decide to flock to the coastal cities, do you keep building housing to accommodate all of them or do you start telling people to gently caress off back to their flyover states where housing is already built and plentiful? Would small towns dying off from their younger population moving away be considered a problem or an opportunity to reclaim more of nature for conservation efforts?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Again you keep criticising but you don't actually have an alternative. Is your proposed way forward reliable, my dude?

And you're just going to have to trust me that I don't dream of revolution. I dream of justice. Social, racial and economic justice, as you cannot have any one of those without the others. Any path forward that makes that become true I will support. I would never block improvements out of some misguided accelerationist bullshit. In fact, even asserting that I would block justice is a rather grave insult, so gently caress you.

I'm not saying a revolution would be a great thing, I'm saying a revolution is unfortunately necessary to achieve those goals, as all the other paths keep failing. And I believe I understand why they keep failing, and it's not because we just don't try hard enough, but because the people with power in our society use that power to make them fail. Because it is in their personal interest (of maintaining their relative power first and foremost) to make them fail. So the only way forward is to remove those people from power. And no election is going to do this as the primary source of power in todays society (indeed perhaps all societies throughout all time) is economic power. And democracy has very little grip on economic power in actually existing so-called democracies. And so we're not going to reform our way out of capitalism. And we are *definitely* not going to reform our way out of capitalism before climate change becomes catastrophic. I hope to be wrong, I keep voting for the parties that seem to genuinely want that reform, and encouraging others to do the same, but I see no evidence that this is ever going to actually work.

Allende is the closest we've ever come to reforming our way out of capitalism and he got murdered for it and then his country got tortured and murdered and raped for decades. Not the pinnacle of reliability, unfortunately.

Have you started organizing an armed militia for your revolution yet? If not, why haven't you? Are you just planning to be like those pro-Ming groups who spent all of the Qing Dynasty crowing about how they're totally going to overthrow the Qing to restore the Ming Dynasty and then basically played no rule in the actual revolution that overthrew the Qing?