Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Madurai posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I want to watch Gogglebox now. And I'm afraid someone will try to do a US equivalent.

I watched one episode of the Australian version because my parents and sisters all watch it, and it's loving terrible. Just a bunch of people watching TV shows they don't like and complaining about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I still remember "Drumpf".

That, and the people who picked it up online, annoyed me so much. How is "Drumpf", which just looks kind of German I guess, a dumber-sounding name than "Trump", which literally means "elephant noise", "trumpet noise", and "fart"? And the whole "that's his real name" thing when he was born a Trump and it was his grandfather who changed the family name.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I'm not sure if this is a joke or what, but "trump" has been used for basically hundreds of years to mean the high-ranking suit in card games. Or as a verb, to beat someone by pulling those high cards out. I mean, I don't like the guy any more than you do, but the word's a pretty good pick for a name over "drumpf" for positive meanings associated with it.
It means those things as well, sure. But outside the context of either card games or surnames its a funny-sounding onomatopoeia. Wheras "Drumpf" is just vaguely German-sounding. The whole "call him Drumpf because it sounds dumb" thing just comes across as really weird, because, you know his actual name is "Trump", right? "Trump" sounds way dumber than "Drumpf", unless you think there's just something inherently funny about German-sounding words, I guess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

As far as I know "the audience" in shows like this is almost entirely a fake concept; they are a group of people being ordered to do things on cue. If the signal says applause they applaud, if it says laugh they laugh.
I've been in the audience for a couple of different shows here in Australia (Good News Week and Mad as Hell) and in both those cases there was no explicit instruction on how to react to each bit, they just told us as the start that basically if it sounds like a joke we should laugh even if we don't get it, and we should make sure our reactions are loud. They actually get you to do a couple of practice laughs at the start where they inevitably say the reaction was too quiet and you need to be louder.

With GNW we were watching the actual performers on stage but MaH uses a lot of pre-recorded stuff and even the bits that were done in front of us were also shown on a screen, and we were told to always be looking at the screen so that shots of the audience would be consistent and not have us looking in different directions at different times. But we were never told we did it wrong or anything once the show actually started.

It's not really a worthwhile experience though, in my opinion, since I always feel like I'm basically an unpaid extra. It's very much the case that the show is for the TV audience and you are (a very small) part of the show, and if you happen to get some entertainment out of it as well then that's just a bonus. My sister really likes it though (which is why I've been to more than one of them), so obviously not everyone feels that way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

The richest company on earth can afford to pay a living wage, and any argument against that is an appeal to authority.

I can't actually tell what you mean by the term "appeal to authority" here but I think you're using it wrong?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Like when it comes to nationalizing AT&T or some poo poo, I’m not opposed to the government running a telecom, as long as there’s still private carriers because only a loving fool would use the nationalized carrier to set up a weed sale or whatever.

Why would there be any more chance of them monitoring you if they owned the network? Either way all they need is authorisation (or lack of oversight). Private ownership doesn't make it physically any harder.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

quote:

We were disappointed to see the false and unfair allegations about Guinness World Records in Sunday’s episode of ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.’

The piece appears to have been motivated by our decision not to participate in tonight’s show.

We were asked to provide a judge to officiate the so-called world record attempt for “largest cake with an image of someone falling off a horse”.

On the basis that it was merely an opportunity to mock one of our record-holders, we declined. It is our policy not to partake in any activities which may belittle their achievements or subject them to ridicule.
Interesting that they don't say which allegations were false. Which part of what was said could they even plausibly deny?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Diva cups are actually a real thing:eng101:
That was the one I knew. It was the other two I hadn't heard of and didn't specifically know if they're real or not.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

The solution is to get rid of voting machines.

Does any other country use voting machines or is it just a weird American thing?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

On the plus side, I'm curious to see if, as I've always suspected, this show would be better without a live audience.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jamesman posted:

The dead silence and John speaking to us from a white void is deeply unsettling.
If it had been edited like a YouTube video it would have seemed 100% normal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Turns out you were wrong
Nah. Even with the weirdness of the show obviously being designed with a live audience in mind, I still really enjoyed not having to wait for the audience. Oliver just needed to stop pausing for laughter that obviously wasn't coming.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Does this not-news station air its dicksucking "questions" on its own programs, or is their purpose just to give an ego boost to the one man that needs it the least?

My guess is, they're primarily there as advertising. Clips of their reporters asking the president questions get shown by other media and some fraction of the people watching will like what they see. Or dislike it enough to want to hate-watch. Either way, they get more viewers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I'm bugs me more and more that John insists this is a comedy show and not a news show when this is pretty much the most important news show on in America right now.
It's not a news show. It's current affairs. If you're relying on it for news then you're going to miss a lot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Literally every topical weekly comedy show is better without an audience now that they've had a chance to adjust to it. It's going to be a real disappointment when they switch back.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Im sorry as a dallas... person 'Dallas's' hit me weird. It should be Dallas' , should it not?

Dalla's.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just ban rental. If the landlords can't manage to sell their now worthless properties, the state can buy them and give them to homeless people (or the current occupants where applicable).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Baronash posted:

Sure, housing prices may decrease slightly, but many folks who currently live (or would like to live) in these areas still wouldn't have the tens of thousands of dollars necessary to convince a bank to offer them a mortgage.
If the prices didn't decrease dramatically due to the sudden and dramatic increase in supply then you still have the option of the government buying up empty houses and just giving them away (or at least letting people live there if that's too radical for you).

Baronash posted:

You still need temporary housing options, and those options are still going to be limited in some way by the desirability of the area.
If you always have the option of selling your house to the state then there's no reason not to buy in most cases, even if you're planning to move again. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

another reason you can't get rid of rental is that you can't get rid of hotels, and every landowner is going to try fixing up a lovely hotel scheme instead.
Only if you let them.

Zachack posted:

And that's without getting into democratic action where the populace, upon being notified of fraud (real or imagined), starts hamstringing or imposing weird requirements on the property.
Well, if you're going to bring that up as an issue then the whole concept has to be scrapped because people can't even agree that people who are literally sleeping on the street should be allowed to sleep inside a building somewhere. The whole thing's so implausible that trying to figure out any details for how it would actually work is basically a waste of time. Too many people are still under the impression that they earned what they have and it wouldn't be fair to just give food and shelter and dignity to people who haven't paid for them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

So what's the proper square footage required for dignity

At least enough that your bedroom is not also your living room.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's kinda the point. You can't just maintain a simple black and white rule like "no renting", because you'll still end up having to do a complex analysis of every landowner to find the ones breaking the system. No shortcuts around that.

And you'd still have to do extra programs on top to create new housing to meet demand. California is real big on its disgusting sprawl of expensive low-density housing that makes any infrastructure serving more than a few people at once hard to create. You need a lot of bulldozing and rebuilding to make that mess work.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make. Yes, there are many things wrong with the current system and all of them should/would have to change. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

I would be somewhat curious who would be president in that scenario, no election and the term ending. I suppose it would fall down the line of succession to somebody that still had time left on their elected term, like the speaker of the house or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLbNekBU1A

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

So, the thing about matching signatures; is there some way to see what your signature is supposed to look like or do you just have to guess and hope?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I know why you're bringing this up, and I totally get it. But, take a step back, and just think about how suspicious it would be to any reasonable election official if a would-be mail-in voter came up and said, "Hey, I forgot what my signature looks like. Can I see an example of it so my ballot gets counted?"

Well, yeah, but expecting people to remember how they signed their name some random time however long ago is also utterly insane, so... :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Like, checking whether people's signatures match is transparently an excuse to deny literally any ballot you want to. If they can do that then the whole thing is a farce and Trump is correct; voting by mail in America is subject to massive fraud and shouldn't be trusted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Remora posted:

Does... does your signature change? It's not really supposed to.
Everyone's does, and in sane countries that's fine because no one is ever comparing your signature against a reference to verify your identity (because it's wildly unreliable).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

So does this all mean that the dude on Pawn Stars they bring in to "authenticate" celebrity signatures and the like is basically a fraud then?
What assurance could they possibly be giving other than "looks genuine to me"? There's just no way to test that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

The fact that it is theoretically possible should disqualify the entire system in the mind of any reasonable person.

In any election it's theoretically possible that only one person votes and so their pick automatically wins. A reasonable person can tell the difference between what's technically possible and what's actually plausible or likely.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Covid didn't really the direct result of what was done in previous years.
Well...

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Wait a second... All this talk this year about a featureless white void-- what if John is a Janet in disguise?
I did think, when he got up from the desk and started walking around, that it would be pretty funny if it turned out he'd been in Janet's void the whole time and she was there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Djarum posted:

In the next few years lab grown meat is going to economically viable

Has there actually been some progress on this or is it the same Betteridge's law "will we all be eating lab-grown meat in ten years?" bullshit that's been repeated every time there's been a slow news week for the past twenty years?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zaroff posted:

I’ve got to wonder - would anyone be upset if the show never left the void, even after the COVID situation permits it?
It will definitely make the show worse - removing the audience was an immediate improvement - and it will definitely happen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

With a audience, getting a mascot is silly and amusing.

Without a audience, a man is hiring a person to stand around in a fursuit with him in a empty room while he stares at a camera.
So you're saying that it's better without an audience?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What does "families make good go round" even mean? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It seems like American political parties are way more nebulous than in normal countries. Like, you can just say you're in a party and they can't stop you or kick you out? And if you want to run for a particular office as that party's candidate, you can just have a bunch of people (who may or may not also have to say they're members of that party) vote for you to be the candidate, and if the rest of the party doesn't like it that's too bad for them? And if you manage to get elected then you can do whatever the gently caress you like and no one can kick you out of the party or make you toe the line? Am I wrong about this?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This is just a segment from the show, not a new video.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just got around to watching last week's episode, and I had to replay that first "catch phrase" six times and then give up and google it to understand what Mickey was saying. Am I the weird one for not instantly knowing who Shelly Miscavige is? And what's the connection to Disney?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She's the wife of the Scientology leader David Miscavige and she disappeared back in 2007 with no explanation ever given

Yeah, I know that now. I googled it. But, without context, I couldn't understand what the mouse was saying because that name meant nothing to me. And that still doesn't explain the connection to Disney?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

What you're supposed to do is to say something like "There are x_1 people in China. A pig gives x_2 usable servings. The average Chinese person would eat x_3 servings a weak so roughly 50*x_3 servings a year. We can assume that all pigs are eventually eaten, so there is a stable amount of pigs around. A pig will take x_4 years to mature to slaughtering age. Given all these factors a reasonable number would be x_1*x_2*50*x_3*x_4."
That's complete nonsense though. What you're doing is literally making up bullshit and padding it out to make it sound plausible. Your assumptions are unfounded and your numbers are made up out of nothing. You will not end up in the right ballpark, except through blind luck. The correct answer is to google it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

sure okay posted:

You wouldn't tell BP to just "Google it" when they come to you with organizational problems. You tell them you'll save them billions with strategic realignments based on fact-checked data algorithms (aka layoffs and C-suite bonuses).

The question is perfect for the kind of people McKenzie wants: A-type bullshitters who can polish the optics of a business wanting to launder their most selfish actions onto someone else. Getting to the correct number is not the point.
Right. But here's the post I was responding to:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, I had one those kind of Fermi questions in basically every application process.
Of course you can google "How many pigs in China." but that's not the point at all and it's honestly silly for John to suggest that.

What you're supposed to do is to say something like "There are x_1 people in China. A pig gives x_2 usable servings. The average Chinese person would eat x_3 servings a weak so roughly 50*x_3 servings a year. We can assume that all pigs are eventually eaten, so there is a stable amount of pigs around. A pig will take x_4 years to mature to slaughtering age. Given all these factors a reasonable number would be x_1*x_2*50*x_3*x_4."

The actual numbers for those variables are completely irrelevant, but if you try to make vague estimations for them, you will end up on the right ballpark.
Nobody cares for the final number. But the interviewer might note how this answer disregards the effects of import and export of pigs and pork, which might skew the estimation drastically.

McKenzie is an evil company with deplorable opinions and working conditions and I know a few people who ended up working for those assholes. But the fact that their applications sometimes use Fermi questions is a weird point to ridicule.
They're not saying that you're supposed to bullshit the answer because that's what the job entails. They're saying that the question is actually good and reasonable for the reasons that McKenzie claim it is.