Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Holy poo poo, that litany Russia of funny names Trump might for countries Russia was a drat good bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh good, tonight's episode is another thing I can add to the list of reasons Warren Buffett is a ghoul and why him giving "half" of his grotesquely disproportionate wealth to charity doesn't mean jack poo poo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

pwn posted:

After 100 years of being trained to be consumers and not think critically, you can lead a populace to information but if it isn’t interesting enough they get distracted.

Years of cultural baggage maybe honed this tendency but it's certainly not anything new. The side with a stronger the narrative usually wins public opinion.

Providing a story that's both compelling and genuine is a big ask because it requires not only a lot of effort but also good faith on the part of the storyteller. I don't think Oliver is perfect at either, but I'm not sure I can think of anyone else in the mainstream who gets closer to the goal of being both critical and entertaining.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Also, though, WTF was this episode?

Amazing is what it was. They do dour deep-dives all the time; I'm happy to see take a week here or there to explore something that's weird and fun.

Sucks that the Chiitan segment didn't go on their Youtube this week.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's a small thing, but I like that John still reps The Bugle on his twitter.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man, that has to be the longest walk to a motherfucker joke in history.

Excellent episode, though I think it suffers from arguing in good faith towards people who have none. To use John's analogy, the people who support the death penalty are indeed motherfuckers. They don't care about being just or humane. Revenge and suffering is the point.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the executioners currently prioritize keeping the body intact and minimizing cleanup. There might be some comfort in being able to have an open casket funeral, but I think mainly nobody likes cleaning up human remains. The chair is just the worst for that.

John says this outright in the video when he mentions that our current executions "aren't about minimizing suffering for the condemned, but maximizing comfort for the witnesses."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Angry Bill Nye was very good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh you haven't seen nothing yet.

Seriously. If you think it's this bad now just wait until 30% of states control 60% of senate votes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sorry, I meant 30% of the population.

Within the next few decades, up to 70% of the population will live in only ten states, but those state will have the same number of Senate votes as they do now: twenty. The remaining 30% of the population will live in the remaining 40 states also with the exact number of Senate votes as they've got now: eighty.

It will be a shitshow.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Momz In Da Hood to close the show.

I'm not. That moment was a glorious carpet pull. They're usually so good at booking weird gimmick celebs (loving Lord Buckethead!) that it was a fun twist.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wow, what the gently caress Mississippi?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Is that a serious question?

Rhetorical but, like John, I tend to forget whenever I haven't seen the flag in a while.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Excellent episode tonight. You'd really hope that the medical field would be the one place in the world where racial and gender biases don't permeate but nope! The joke at the end about bringing a white guy is something I've literally seen happening in real-time where a woman's pain wasn't being taken seriously until her husband restated it verbatim to the practitioner.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

One Nut Wonder posted:

Jesus tap-dancing Christ. THAT was a finish to an episode. :laffo: How much loving money did they spend on this?

Probably a fraction of what they spent on the lawsuit.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Show back and with good episode tonight. John gets justified criticism for tacking too close to the center at times, but his position tonight of "no, M4A is the only option. Anything else leaves you completely hosed," was correct, and will probably do more to advance the cause of healthcare in this country than anything else on television in the last year.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if ~10 years after the US finally claws out a true socialized healthcare system, other countries might start getting a bunch of idiots trying to privatize their systems since they wouldn't have America as the big example of why privatized healthcare is terrible to look at anymore.

Nope! And 20 seconds after it passes interests in the US will start trying to rip the system apart. There's money to be made!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 18, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, that's a good point, the tobacco industry too is cleaning up basically everywhere that isn't the US and Europe. Would not shock me at all if people started trying to export private healthcare to nations with a growing middle class.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

John getting angrier and more cynical can only have good outcomes provided he retains the core of well-researched reporting LWT is built around. He has a huge platform, maybe not on par with The Daily Show at its hight or something like Joe Rogan, but he still has a massive following and the ear of many self-affirmed centrists or "apolitical" folks. Having someone in that position who is, if not left-leaning, then at least left-curious is a big deal.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I was so giddy at the Claire from Bon Appetit reference. Dunno why.

A whole lotta people love those segments. Modern processed food is the product of countless hours spent innovating and iterating by some of the best food scientists in the business. Watching poor Claire try and reverse engineer decades of work in a few afternoons is good fun.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rat erotica was the highlight, no doubt, but I was also a bit shocked to see that Judy Kudlow is a decent painter.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

John using his vast resources for inane bullshit continues to be the best thing about this show.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Another note on tonight, John is starting as acclimate to this different format. He's doing far fewer of those pauses for non-existent applause.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There was a segment about her last week. Remember, the talk show host who's streaming from home and gives zero fucks?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sorry, the week before last. Whenever they last did an episode.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Depressing episode tonight, but I did enjoy the Martha Stewart, Queen of the Wine Moms segment.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Show is off until Jan. 27th? Man, that is gonna be a pretty lurid before and after picture no matter how the next few months unfold.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

One Nut Wonder posted:

September 27th.

Ohkay, that makes a lot more sense!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nah, the next leader of the alt-right isn't anyone in Trump's coterie. A narcissist can't tolerate the presence of anyone they think might mistake for a peer. As a result, everyone around Trump is legendarily incompetent and a black hole of charisma.

Trump might want it to anoint Ivanka, but she doesn't have that greasy magnetism which is the essence of a life-long huckster. She won't have the same draw.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm glad John got his poop processing plant. He deserves it.

In other news, I'd completely forgotten that Trump was planning to ghost the WHO because this loving hell 2020 has been a million years long.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

"You're saying we can only prove we need asylum if we turn up dead?"

"Even then it's not the right reason. It's not protected."

oof

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I look forward to the 30-second long exhale that will begin this week's show.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I hope he takes 10 seconds and then reminds the audience that something like a hundred thousand Americans will die from COVID before the inauguration, we still have a network of concentration camps filled with innocent people, hundreds of family separations, a crisis of police brutality, lead in the water, and a long list of other problems that probably includes our crumbling infrastructure somewhere.
:smith:

But at least now things maybe won't get worse... :sigh:

I hardly expect this show, of all shows, to lose its focus on the myriad complex troubles of our ailing republic.

That said, I don't mind if John wants to take between one segment and one episode for a deep breath and a small celebration of a good thing happening.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hah, I guessed the time!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It is beyond astronomically unlikely. Someone else used the analogy of being struck by lightning three times in a row, on a clear day, while sitting in your living room. And it's getting less likely by the day as his legal cases continue to fail (0-12 now I think?) and GOP officials back slowly away from him.

It's worrying in a lot of ways that he is even attempting a coup in broad daylight, but there's no real chance if it actually working.

Edit: don't feel bad about feeling that way though. After four years of gaslighting and steady trauma, it is very hard to suss which fears are well-founded.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hmm

I like it when John does these stupid bits for charity.

But I do not like anthropomorphized brand engagement.

Calling this one a wash.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That was quite the segment. John doesn't say anything about Tucker that folk here wouldn't already know, but seeing him signal boost the laundering of white supremacy through a major media talking head to his wider audience is still something.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I dunno, "economists don't know poo poo about how modern economies work so why should we listen to them?" seems pretty self-evident at this point.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's up there. The fact that it isn't relegated to the humanities has always puzzled me. No matter how much bunk math they try to stuff it with, it is far from being a "hard science."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Holy poo poo that gator twist. What the gently caress?