Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Was that Stephen Fry doing the Churchill-ish bit at the end?

So glad it's back. I'm not even from the US and I know Chester A. Arthur was a president (I saw Die Hard 3.)

One thing that really stood out to me personally was how John plows through the audience's hooting and hollering and it made me really glad after suffering through Colbert's insufferable audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kind of a swing and a miss episode and tying the topic of automation to Trump seemed pretty limp-wristed and the "naming countries crazily" joke wore out its welcome like two in. But hey, season low-point, one of them's gotta be it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It’s about as bad, Colbert’s crowd must be nice for him but watching at home sucks because you have to wait for his audience to stop screeching and whooping, and there’s the added annoyance of the audience being like twitchy whippets constantly ready to jump at any pause with a 10-second cheer/applause while Colbert waits. I love that John just barrels through that poo poo.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Woah Black Betty

Nothing to add to this, but it made me laugh.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What the gently caress, America?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wasn't it that the UK can show footage from the parliament but not if it's comedic in nature or something? It's way, way dumber if that's the case.

Speaking of censorship, Russia just subtly changed a line in the new Pixar movie Onward which has a second-long reference to a female character having a girlfriend which they changed to a more ambiguous "partner" instead. Several middle eastern countries outright banned the movie.

Also I immediately turned gay just because I typed all of that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And now.. yes, we're still doing these.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I rarely like live audiences on these shows and have always appreciated how John just barrels through their hooting and hollering as opposed to many others who allow them to stop the show dead on its tracks. I get that they're performing in front of an audience but the show isn't just for them. So when it's just John on his own it's not much different I don't think, and this format isn't all that detrimental to him as it might be for other hosts.

Also, as a non-american, I feel compelled to say.. I'm so sorry, Americans. You've got one bum deal here and it's gonna get loving grim for you guys with all these ignorant asses arguing for brownie points while people suffer and die. Even more than usual.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

With people like that it always boils down to either severe brain worms, or there's no way they're that loving stupid and are milking this poo poo for money. I can't tell which one it is in this case though, could be both.

I did have a hard time watching that whole segment because the US is going to get turbofucked in the coming weeks and I don't like to pick on people who are suffering.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm bugs me more and more that John insists this is a comedy show and not a news show when this is pretty much the most important news show on in America right now.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

swickles posted:

The same thing happened to Stewart and The Daily Show. They never sought to do real investigative journalism, only make fun of the news and make jokes about the dumb stuff in it. Because this was all construed as being honest, Stewart eventually became the most trusted man in news, despite never actually aiming for that goal. Oliver's stuff is a little more serious and they do a good job of in depth reporting, but they aren't a news gathering organization (i.e. no reporters or presence at major press conferences). They are more like a 20/20 with dick jokes. They are a news magazine that focuses on important, and in non-emergency times, often uncovered topics. Despite that, or maybe because of the fact that they take time to deliberate and source and fact check, they are seen as a more vital and trustworthy source than other news outlets.

Last Week Tonight also benefits from being weekly I think, they have time to research things that happen and then condence that into a show instead of being completely reactionary like 24 hour news channels are.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No new show last night? I didn't remember John saying they'd be off.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Aw drat. Oh well, thanks!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And now..

A Stamp.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So is America just basically

Common sense people: "Hey, here's something that would benefit everyone with no real loss to anyone!"

The United States of America: "NO" *faaaaaaart*

Am I missing something maybe?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So yes, but in a more nuanced way. The US is making it really hard for me to flaunt my European freedoms without feeling super lovely about it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I always knew that but it's so hosed that it had turned into a joke unto itself into my mind. It's left for the rest of us in the world to look at the US with a strong mix of amusement, bafflement and abject horror. It would be nice to be able to feel superiority too but that's not in the cards.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gently caress the poor, but also gently caress all the other rich guys because I'm not as rich as them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That "And now, this.." sure was something. Also, PS5 hype out of nowhere.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Good news Butch, you'll get to die for the flag real soon.

Yeah goddamn, I wonder if he'll feel the same hooked up to a loving respirator.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kamrat posted:

I don't have HBO, what was the "And now, this" segment all about?

A bunch of AMERICAN PATRIOTS one after another bitching to some council in Florida about the mandate to wear masks and how it's un-american to force people to do that. With bonus WHO/CDC conspiracy bullshit and how one guy would die for the flag. Typical dumb crap.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

September 27th.

E: :argh:

That RNC montage sure was something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This was what I was referring to, specifically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7P0ZfIXe1A

Boy, that segregationists/abolitionists part is just so perfect.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It was a good episode but reality makes this show hard to watch. I know he's preaching to the choir but I hope there are some who haven't yet, who do the census stuff and register to vote. Man that Sean Penn audiobook though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Alhazred posted:

It felt like Cormac McCarthy after him having a lobothomy.

It was like if Palahniuk ate alphabet soup and puked and Penn read what's on the floor while smoking every cigarette in the world.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Godfather 3 doesn't compare favorably to the first two but it's a fine movie in its own right, Sofia Coppola's acting aside. Yeah, gently caress you, I'll say it! It's up there with Alien3 as the most underappreciated sequels of all time.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

You can't argue that Alien 3 was anything other than a massive production mess. I really like the Foundation Cut as well but it's still rightfully criticized for being all over the place.

That's one of the reasons why it's so great, there's no way that movie should be that good and the Assembly Cut is great.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I absolutely adore your avatar and custom title.

Thanks. :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Of course now he's off air.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oylmpics?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That Kennedy joke caught me mid-coffee sip, goddamn it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So clearly if there are banjos, finger snaps and hand claps playing during a commercial, it's particularly egregious bullshit.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I thought that too but I guess it's a gimmick they want to use sparingly. The segment was good enough on its own.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

loving hell that lawyer was an absolute rotten piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat. gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They botched the upload of this week's episode, it stuttered and froze a lot but it was a good episode. They did censor the Windows 95 logo on that guy's shirt though for some reason.