Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

who's the stiff wearing the tie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

You know you're in for a wild ride when they note before the episode begins that the taping occurred before the tragedies on the same weekend

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the song "If I had $1000000" is almost 30 years old and every time I hear it on the radio I always think "welp, song's over after the first lyric, buying a house would take most of that million in most of the 'desirable' cities"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

White Light posted:

One thing I'm very glad that John covered about this topic was the fact that almost everyone who applies for any white-collar type work is barred from entry unless you have bare minimum a Bachelor's degree.

I can't tell you the number of jobs I've applied for, went through the nightmare string of endless interviews, had an offer for the position at the finish line, only to have it rescinded at the last second because I was only able to secure an associates degree due to finances. It puts you in a no-win position where you can't get your foot in the door unless you have a 4 year degree (with 2 of those years being completely useless towards your career) but you also can't really afford to commit to that high of an educational expense unless you want to be stuck with the primary entrapment of student loans :gibs:

Took me almost 5 years of searching before I was finally able to land a permanent career position, I wouldn't wish that hell on anyone.

when he mentioned the bit about administration and otherwise entry-level positions requiring a Bachelor's degree at a minimum, I thought he was going to make a comment on how those are just legal ways to screen and weed out the "undesirables" because a majority of people that I do see in positions like that usually got it because they're friends of someone higher up already. Hell, most work I get in my profession I probably could've gotten without having pursued a Master's, but I got it anyway because I was fed a line of "this is your path to success".

Granted, I'm Canadian, so our student loan system isn't nearly as hosed. Our national program is administered directly through the federal government bureaucracy, repayment and everything, so we don't have to futz around with third parties or private collectors (unless you default, but even then it isn't even a fraction as hosed as what they were showing in the episode). I don't believe we did a loan forgiveness thing here, but that may be because my loans were only about $20k or so and I didn't go to Med school or some other stupid expensive and long program. We did make our national loans interest free and there are repayment options available, so not as lovely as the situation in the US, but still pretty sucky if all you can manage after a 4 year degree is working at a fast food restaurant or something