Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chester Alan Arthur was president from 1881 to 1885, he was not a popular president.
Also, Last Week Tonight is back for season six where John Oliver will most likely use HBO's money to buy more stupid poo poo. Hopefully the dog supreme court will make a comeback. There will probably be a lot of stupid mascots (the We Got Him Tiger is probably too depressed to return though). This will also be the year where he finally exposes the Olsen Twins Conspiracy (it's really only one girl).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I feel like we don’t need this show to learn that psychics are full of poo poo.

But it's still fun to watch them being dunked on.

banned from Starbucks posted:

It's like they were about to go after religion bit got cold feet and instead picked an even easier target.

They had an episode about televangelists though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Luckily my job can't be automated:smuggo:

gently caress

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

You're assuming that Alhazred does anything different from that.
The robot has better accuracy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

The hand was still funny, though.

Also, HBO robocalling all those officials, doesn't that constitute harassment? I mean for the sake of all 'murricans I hope it will be successful and I am sure HBO's legal team triple checked it, but it still seems a little bit weird.

Surely John Oliver won't insult any powerful people this week says increasingly more nervous HBO lawyer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

An okay episode. There's kind of an elephant in the room of a particular elephant that isn't in the room for once, a certain somebody that remarkably wasn't mentioned throughout the whole episode. Public outcry is sometimes the only outlet the people have against certain bad people in power, which is why they refine these outrage responses, before they get bored and turn it on some rando.

But he brought that up. He said that public shaming isn't always bad because of those reasons you mentioned.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

This show might be helping the left, but it is also part of the problem by spreading the centrist lies that nothing is worth fighting for, that nothing can be different systemwide, and that any attempts to change it are not only a waste of time, but in fact cause disharmony that is the only true problem in society must stamp out. That the true onus lies on voters, not rulers, to learn better and to fix things or else get out of the way.
You are very wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Oliver#Influence_and_the_%22John_Oliver_effect%22

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

When has he has said that? A quick google didn't bring up anything

https://www.facebook.com/notes/outr...-/251212869181/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Eh that was in 2010, and more recent comments show hes learned and gotten better :shrug:

Good for him. But he has a tendency to say stupid poo poo about gender.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

i'm glad they're doing an episode on the death penalty, honestly they could probably do a whole other thing about *who* gets executed.

(surprise, they're all poor, often not white, and occasionally mentally deficient to reckon with their crimes humans)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

I'm a firm believer that, in some cases, the death penalty is called for. However, and more importantly, no justice system on Earth is currently capable of correctly determining when to apply it, and therefore, for all practical purposes, the death penalty shouldn't exist.

Counterpoint: The state should not be allowed to decide that someone deserves to die.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phenotype posted:

That doesn't seem like a counterpoint at all.

His post said that he was a firm believer in the death penalty.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It felt like John was back to his usual energy levels this episode (and holy poo poo that was some scary stuff) but I'm real disappointed they didn't actually book Momz In Da Hood to close the show.

HBO lost their cultural relevance a couple of weeks ago.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Also, they don't have to fund the cgi dragons anymore.

But they still have to fund Oliver's shopping habit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It is true though, Norway has a lot of dirt on foreign politicians.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Yeah ... that horse is dead now. It's definitely not alive and well.

Then how could it be doing donuts besides a fiery crater?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Excellent episode tonight. You'd really hope that the medical field would be the one place in the world where racial and gender biases don't permeate but nope! The joke at the end about bringing a white guy is something I've literally seen happening in real-time where a woman's pain wasn't being taken seriously until her husband restated it verbatim to the practitioner.

It's just loving horrifying that medicine in some areas hasn't evolved since antiquity.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So why is this thread suddenly about a politician who hasn't been covered in the last few episodes?:confused:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

What the gently caress is wrong with Michael Bolton's face?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It seemed like he could barely move his mouth.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Diva cups are actually a real thing:eng101:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Does the US not have laws for branding people vexatious litigants if they repeatedly file SLAPP suits? From the segment it sounds like even the states that do have anti-SLAPP laws only make people pay their opponents attorney's fees if they lose, without restricting their ability to file suit again in the future.

I know that in my country you have to pay your own court expenses plus the court expenses of the guy you're suing if you lose the lawsuit. Which I guess is a good deterrent against frivolous lawsuits.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Dollars to Pesos we actually get a white paper on Why Bernie is Bad For AmericaTM. :nallears:

Your post aged...poorly.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's kinda hosed up how countries will just randomly censor tv-shows. India cuts away segments as to not offend their Disney overlords, Britain for some reason can't show footage from the parliament. Hasan Minhaj also got his program censored by the UAE, because while they're totally progressive and cool it would be nice if people just stopped making jokes about them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The media bubble, including Oliver, is still so brain-broken that they hope a ~TRUMP PIVOT~ is still possible because, surely underneath all of that narcissism and hubris is a human heart, right? :nallears:

I think it was more to make it clear that he isn't after scoring some political points on the pandemic. That he isn't attacking Trump because he's Trump but because he doing a genuinely lovely job at trying to stop people from dying.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That interpreter :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly didn't even considered that the postal service can't also offer banking services.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Couldn’t a lot of it be fear of being sued for slander and/or losing access?

I'm pretty sure that it's been demonstrated that the very best scenario when you sue Last Week Tonight is that you waste your money.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of Stewart, it's really depressing to see him talking about the same thing in 2014 and realizing that nothing has changed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KqDIPdCOg

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

i give it three weeks
That seems generous. The face eating leopards can find you way faster if you give them actual facial recognition tech.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

That "And now, this.." sure was something.

Good news Butch, you'll get to die for the flag real soon.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like how John Oliver made sure to clarify that the way rental housing works was already a crisis before the pandemic exacerbated it, because it's true. It needs massive reform, probably even central planning instead of relying on people who just want a safe return on their investment.

It's a crisis in every country, even mine. Rich people are buying up apartments and renting it out to insane prices because they know people are desperate. In my opinion a regulated market is the only solution.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Djarum posted:

Easiest way to combat this is by introducing a compounding real estate tax. If you own a single property you have the standard tax rate. Your second property raises this. Every property after compounds that tax rate to a point where it is uneconomical to own that much property.

We've had this for three years in my country and it hasn't actually made that much of a difference.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xealot posted:

The thing that really gets me about real estate as a market investment is how short-sighted it is. Places become desirable because of unique characteristics of the community, the local businesses or other smaller institutions or amenities it already has there.

Right now places is desirable because people need a place to live. Most people can't afford to consider the unique characteristics of the community, that's reserved for the wealthy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Azhais posted:

So your theory is you'd be happy to spend $200k building a house you didn't ultimately own at the end?

I mean, that's basically what renting is and people are willing to do that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Have a functional welfare state and a regulated housing market, that's at least two silver bullets.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Worth also mentioning that mortgages as a whole are their own massive problem. All the value represented by all the money tied up in mortgages is one of the pillars that supports the economy, and the last time something went wrong with that, the whole economy went down, and there's no meaningful measures to prevent another collapse. The pandemic's not great for mortgage payments either.

Norwegian banks actually lowered their interests on mortgages because they realized that it's better that they make a little less money over the economy collapsing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Here's the return and the incentive: "you get to live in society and have all your other needs taking care of". In exchange you perform useful labour to take care of the needs of others.

That sounds a bit..authoritarian. Like, who's gonna define what is useful labor and what is not?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Let me talk at length abut how little I care about John Oliver"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

On the bright side we got rat erotica.
And maybe we soon will be getting more weird stuff:
https://www.cracked.com/article_21223_8-horrifying-movie-props-you-wont-believe-you-could-buy.html