Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

This was the first time for me to actually realize that WWE exists in does things that non-wrestling fans hear about. Nice to see horizons expanded by this show, don't think I knew anything about that before.

What an industry that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

That doesn't roll off the tongue that well in a monologue full of information and jokes though to be honest.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

John Oliver constantly brings up problems and then maybe not fully setup a large scale solution, but he always, always, always highly encourages and supports people to inform themselves, make up a mind on their own, decide what they want to do if they do want to do something about it and they spend thousands of dollars for ridiculous but yet informative portions.
Be it that they buy URLs to circumvent the FCC trying to shutdown discussion by having every comment going through an ridiculous amount of forms, be it that they buy ad time on various networks to raise awareness of a problem, even if that problem is just the POTUS not knowing what he's doing or asking fans of sports to use their voice and power they have due to being customers to at least make problems heard.

As snowglobe said, it's unrealistic to expect them to sort out solutions for highly complex problems and then try to enact those solutions, they are already busy trying to unfold the problems at hand, explain them carefully and in an appropriate manner for a large scale audience, while constantly pointing out that it's not the job of the viewer to know everything about a certain aspect, as it's incredibly complicated. Holding up the standard that they as an HBO show that runs for 30 minutes are supposed to then propose full scale solutions, at best system wide, is ridiculous, not to say that you might not be happy with what they could propose either as you then would probably demand that they also support your own ideas.

That said, just because he's pointing out flaws by the GOP and Trump, he's not exactly enthusiastic about the left all the time either. He has his own mind and along with his staff brings up things that they consider as problems, no matter if left, right, up or down.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oh my god, can't we just enjoy some informative British accent jokes on HBO for once?
Give this CSPAM bullshit a break, it's known what they and you think about John Oliver and what he does or doesn't do, you made that clear. Stac goat even said that he doesn't want to have this discussion and I kinda doubt many other posters here do, so please don't try to force change someone else's opinion in a TV forum with quotes from other people from another subforum, just to feel that you are right and everyone else is wrong.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Dumb Lowtax posted:

As far as I know "the audience" in shows like this is almost entirely a fake concept; they are a group of people being ordered to do things on cue. If the signal says applause they applaud, if it says laugh they laugh. If they make incorrect noise out of turn they get yelled at as one group between takes. They're only allowed to be there because they perform a job. In this case the signal given to the studio audience did not thematically match the delivered line very well, which is a pretty common occurrence on talk shows and makes the "audience" seem mentally off but I believe they're a mostly fictional entity anyway.

I mean, yeah, maybe they do that or use straight up pay actors, however they do offer tickets online, so probably it's possible to get some report whether or not this is the case. I've never been there and the tickets to a number of shows, including LWT, are free, you just have to sign up, but I don't know if you are actually ordered to do a certain thing in there.

I don't really think that a show with this many views requires it though. Getting a ticket is hard and if you're there you probably won't start booing John Oliver, as you appear to be a fan. For small shows that actually pay their audience to be there, which is a thing, this may be different.

This doesn't mean that an audience might just be dumb and focus on the jokes instead of the context.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Yeah well, obviously you are just a meat version of a laugh track. I guess it's kinda cool sitting in a studio and watching your guy also being flesh, but given that they always just stare into the camera and won't care about you, it's probably not really the most fun experience ever.
That said, usually tickets for these shows are very, very cheap (like, 5 bucks) or entirely free as they don't bother to take so little money and go to potential drama over it, not to say that they want the thing to be full at all times.

I like it that John Oliver once gifted away the bunny books to his audience, that's nice, but especially for him even their laughter seems to be not a major factor, given that he constantly talks over it and presses on with his words, no matter how loud they are. Which is good for the sake of the show from an TV perspective, though.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

He filled the role really well. Talks about as much as in an episode of the show, only per scene.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Since waiting for the next episode of the show is such a tedious task, the film was a worthy alternative.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I wonder if John even wants to do another show under these circumstances. This was deeply unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

It's emblematic to this entire past decade that the thing people are most concerned about is the quality of the stuff they wipe their asses with.