Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

NowonSA posted:

I thought it was pretty telling that Oliver has covered all kinds of horrible corporation and situations, and explained why they're horrible in detail, and I think boos from the audience very rarely happen as far as I can recall (probably as part of what they're told before the show, I'm assuming), but as soon as Oliver put up that Ticketmaster image there was a general murmur of disapproval and a very audible boo from someone. It's very impressive for a company to get a reputation that bad.

For the longest time....Ticketmaster was the only player....and you basically had no choice but to deal with them. Now there's AXS....and they're just as bad. Forget the fees and whatnot. It's the bots that cause the biggest problems imo. Ticketmaster and AXS have no interest in stopping them....because they know that bots buying the tickets will be charged fees....and then they'll be able to double dip on those fees as they are resold through their secondary market. It's a complete joke for the average consumer. Glad that JO did a segment on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

John Oliver is the best. Him dunking on wine as a "bad" drink made me laugh out loud.

And omg.....offering Clarence Thomas $1 million per year for the rest of his life.....as well as a brand new luxury motorcoach to resign from the Supreme Court. Incredible.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 19, 2024

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Rappaport posted:

It's a shame Thomas won't respond publicly, because that's a pretty epic burn after roasting him for 30 mins :allears:

Absolutely epic. The fact is that Thomas is going to be under heavy scrutiny from here on out. He's not going to be able to continue accepting these crazy gifts.....which makes JOs offer that much more legitimate....imo. He's offering him a fairly lavish lifestyle for the remainder of his life.....and all he has to do is basically announce that he's a corrupt, unprincipled hack. Just beautifully done.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Sankis posted:

There's no mechanism to stop him short of impeachment and that's never going to happen. He's going to keep doing it.

True.....impeachment is unlikely. But it's not like it's going to gain less support over time. These stories aren't going away.....and it's a terrible look. I'd like to think at some point the blatancy of what he's doing will force some hands.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah I dunno what this bit is hoping to accomplish other than him getting even more poo poo from his "friends"

Hmm keep my ultra powerful position and get even more ridiculous bribes or admit I'm a complete immortal whore in front of everyone, lose my billionaire sugar daddies and hope this totally legit contract holds up. What a decision!

The lavish trips appear to be the most common form of "bribe". There's the thing where someone bought his mother's house and let her live there for free. And then you have the motorhome "loan" that was later forgiven....which looks to be the closest thing to people actually outright paying him. But as far as I know....he's stopped short of straight up accepting cash (outside of the motorhome loan).....not that it makes the other forms of compensation okay.

I'm just saying that this "bit" appears to be more than just a throw away. A million dollars per year (plus a new motorhome that has to be worth a million or more alone) and Thomas could pay for his own vacations to wherever he wanted to go.....beholden to no billionaire "friends". Would probably allow him to live quite a bit more lavishly than he does now.....and he could retire. Just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if this deal (if executable) wasn't truly considered.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Narcissus1916 posted:

They touched on it a bit as examples, but I wish they focused in on how much higher the interest rates are for student loans. That's the biggest culprit and "gently caress you" part of this. And also where we differ from most other countries.

After years of wrangling I finally found solid (and remote!) employment right before COVID hit. I was luckily in a position to finally be able to make a real dent in my loans. But literally every financial expert and advisor told me that because of interest rates the best, smartest choice was just to pay the bare minimum amount for the foreseeable.

When I graduated with my BS & MBA about ten years ago.....I lived with my parents for a couple years and dumped money into paying off my highest interest rates loans (6-7%). The rest (which was still a lot) were in the 3.7-5.4% range if I remember correctly. Well.....everytime a new provider comes in and "consolidates" the loans.....the interest rates change (go up). lol.....I just checked mine on Mohela and my rate is 6.55%. It's such a sham.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

zzMisc posted:

How on earth is it legal to just package your debt, sell it off, and the new owner raises the interest rate on you? That's literally just straight up thievery.

Actually, I haven't watched this ep yet, maybe Jon goes into that.

I have no idea how it's legal. But since I got out of school about ten years ago.....my loans have been transferred to a new "servicer" at least a couple of times.

Edit: I misspoke. The 6.55% isn't uniform over all eight of my loans. I do have some that are lower. Still am quite sure that I had none over with rates over 6% remaining.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

That's 10 years of making payments while working in the public sector, right? My mom has ParentPlus loans but she's worked for a retail company the whole time.

Yes. The ten year thing is the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program.