Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

they love spending obscene amounts of money on this show for public displays, I don't understand why they didn't, like print thousands of signs and hand them out outside of the arena where it's being held or something along those lines. Find some wrestling phrase that you can get 20 individuals to spell out with letter signs that also rearranges to #WrestlerUnionNow or something like that

or poo poo, if they wanted to go full Russell Crowe Codpiece they should have hosted a wrestling event somewhere else that night, called it a Pay-Per-View and given any proceeds to a charity for injured wrestlers or something. (maybe get the amazing people behind Choke Hole to perform)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

so after watching last night's episode I saw a local news piece that a friend posted on Facebook from yesterday morning and it's incredibly relevant!

"North Liberty mobile home park residents form collective, demand meeting with Havenpark posted:

Residents of North Liberty's Golfview Mobile Home Park have voted to form a collective action group in the face of a coming rent hike.

Two weeks ago residents received written notice that new owner Havenpark Capital, a Utah-based real estate investment firm, was raising all rents by 58%. The newly formed Golfview Residents Association demands a meeting with Havenpark leadership.

According to Golfview resident Don Lund, the meeting at the North Liberty Recreation Center on Friday, April 5 was standing room only. More than 100 people met to hear from Mazahir Salih of the Center for Worker Justice and Jesse Case of Teamsters Local 238.

“Nobody can guarantee what will happen, but we know that if we do nothing the rent is going up on June first and that’s going to mean lots of North Liberty residents will be out of their homes,” Case said. “And what for? So somebody sitting in Utah can make a bigger profit by squeezing Iowa workers and families. This is a moral issue and TeamCAN and the Teamsters are ready fight alongside the Golfview Residents Association against Havenpark.”

Lund, who that Friday evening turned 65 years old, said he is already hearing neighbors say they will need to move out if the rent hike goes into effect. Lund said forming ranks with the union felt like a good first step to prevent residents from facing gdisplacement.

"The first thing was to get a coalition. We are all on the same team," Lund said. "Just one of us against the big boys is not really fair, but as a community at the very least we can have a voice and tell them we don't think this is right."

Golfview resident Brittany Clowers said the primary goal for the association will be to prevent the hundreds living in the 49 acre park from being pushed out.

“Just because low income people live here does not mean we are ‘less than,’" Clowers said. "We are teachers and veterans that live here that have served our communities, town and country, and deserve to be able to have a home we can afford.”

While next steps are unclear, Lund said he and other residents will be looking to other communities facing similar issues for best ways forward.

"We are seeing what we can do and at the very least we will go down fighting, saying we are human beings that deserve respect," Lund said. "As a single person that can be overwhelming, but when you have a community behind you, you feel like you at least have some say."

i hope these people tell the rich assholes to gently caress off and that said rich assholes do, in fact, gently caress off

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i'm glad they're doing an episode on the death penalty, honestly they could probably do a whole other thing about *who* gets executed.

(surprise, they're all poor, often not white, and occasionally mentally deficient to reckon with their crimes)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

El Jeffe posted:

And sometimes innocent.

Skippy McPants posted:

Man, that has to be the longest walk to a motherfucker joke in history.

Excellent episode, though I think it suffers from arguing in good faith towards people who have none. To use John's analogy, the people who support the death penalty are indeed motherfuckers. They don't care about being just or humane. Revenge and suffering is the point.

yeah, it's very hard to argue the death penalty on a procedural or factual basis because it is such a morally based issue (much like abortion!). I could spew facts about the cost and the innocent people and how it doesn't actually work as a deterrent and the inequality and the inhumane nature of the whole proceedings or how states literally have to break the law themselves to put it into effect but at the end of the day, the ultimate reason I think we shouldn't have a death penalty is because I think it's wrong. I think killing is wrong, I think "an eye for an eye" is an abhorrent judicial philosophy and I think the government shouldn't have the right to take a life in this fashion. In the same way, people who are in favor of it feel that there's no retribution for someone as abhorrent as, say, Ted Bundy, or any given man who rapes and murders a 10-year-old that fits better than death because it's what they deserve, and those people aren't going to be argued out of their position without some sort of insight that doesn't happen overnight, let alone in any type of debate.

The best thing you can do if you're against the death penalty is supporting the people who are trying to keep people off of death row in the first place. any poverty law charity (i've heard some negative things about the SPLC that's made me rethink my donation to them but the Southern Center for Human Rights is a good alternative, plus any local charities that help with public defenders/other poverty law issues), or something like the Innocence Project, which does incredible work for innocent people on death row who have no other recourse. But it should be remembered that most of the people on death row *are* guilty, and that even the most heinous person in the world (the Boston Bomber, according to the latest stupid "well do you support ________ having rights") should not be subject to the death penalty.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

as someone who routinely brings up the fact that he took 2 years of German in high school in regular conversation, i am offended to be in any way similar to Brian Kilmeade

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i imagine that in order to keep John and the writers from killing themselves after dealing with so many depressing stories, you have to do a goofy one to keep it light and oh man was this goofy

I really did not expect the last 5 minutes to completely body the Guinness Book of World Records, but i bet their PR people are going to have a very bad week defending their work with autocrats

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

honestly they could have done an entire 20 minutes on America's atrocious mortality rates during childbirth, especially for non-white mothers. Propublica has done some really excellent work in this area, the numbers are horrible and even when you adjust for money black women in particular are dying at much higher rates than others who are giving birth, due to a lot of the same factors John talked about in this episode.

Put another way: literally one of the most famous black women in the whole entire world had serious, potentially fatal complications during childbirth and if Serena loving Williams is still subject to the inherent bias of the medical profession, imagine how much harder it is for a woman who doesn't have her access to literally the best technology.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

Anesthesia was invented so patients would shut the gently caress up while doctors are cutting them open.

yeah constantly having "AAAHHH OH MY GOD THIS HURTS" yelled at you while you're doing your job really affects performance.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

so are we going to start seeing a huge rash of Chinese incel violence in a few years? like, in this country there are actually more women than men and we still have a bunch of disaffected lonely young men who believe they're never going to have a sexual relationship because of genetics, imagine if there actually were millions more men than women here. generally when a bunch of men fail at pick-up artisting that is the next step.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Atomizer posted:

The silver lining for China is that they don't have like 12 guns or whatever per person just floating around there, within easy reach of every braindead psychopath. :yaycloud:

japan has a similar population of disaffected young men but they just hole up and get body pillows, which is really the best case scenario

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

it's really a shame that Adam Driver doesn't do comedy often because he's really funny but he always plays these deeply serious characters

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Good news from Texas: maybe some dems aren’t worthless!

https://twitter.com/cathleendecker/status/1399234400127045632?s=21

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

My only takeaway from last week’s episode is that I really respect Tamron Hall for turning her entering a new decade crisis with aplomb, I just turned 30 and I’m inches away from a meltdown, she’s 50 (Fifty!) and owning it

Mad props, Tamron

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

I would like to know who in the writer's room pushes the "weird sexual fixation digressions" cause they are a weird running joke.

Every time this happens I think “huh John must have lost a bet this week”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The people who find interstitial clips for this show are experts at what they do, I expected the Jim Cramer bit to be something else but him repeatedly outing his wife as a Baconator fiend was funnier than anything I could imagine

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

This show’s main stories rarely break down incidents and tends to focus more on issues. Uvalde wasn’t an issue, it was an incident. Cops in schools is an issue, one that both has a very easy reference point to start at with Uvalde but also one that has been an issue for a while.

Spending 20 minutes listing out all that the cops did wrong here wouldn’t really be useful because

A: so many people are already doing it
B: details are still very much in flux
C: there’s really no policy solution to “these cops didn’t do poo poo” after the fact aside from firing them (ideally out of a cannon and into the sun) unless you start talking about more systemic problems with cops (like, for example, how cops in schools are less than worthless)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Alhazred posted:

Did John Oliver discover Dakota Fanning's lime joke just now?

Johnson, not Fanning

One has a famous sister the other has a famous mom

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

John is completely destroying the frog fountain economy and I don’t know how it will ever recover

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m very glad John is talking more about trans rights but I’m even more glad that I know that no matter what job I have in the future, I will not be less suited to my job than Esteban in San Antonio is to being a morning talk show host

edit: true story.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I wish I was as good at anything as John Oliver is at spending HBO’s money on mascot costumes

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Fun fact: Chuck Grassley was 60 years old when Groundhog Day the movie came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1777184121736802676?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

LWT doing some real-rear end journalism tonight