Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Late stage capitalism is horrifying and I'm tired of living through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

I work in warehousing, in a country where Amazon's bullshit doesn't fly. Yet here also "Order today have it delivered tomorow" creates so many lovely loving jobs for no measurable societal gain it's infuriating. Just making that one thing illegal would already fix so much.
Or we could just make the companies pay more employees a living wage to work fewer hours to provide this service, which they are completely capable of doing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

The shittiest jobs are the ones robots will have the most difficulty taking over, because they are highly variable.

Pretty sure a lot of the office is going to get automated away first.

You could do that, but you'd still have a highly variable and unpredictable workload that needs doing immediately meaning you'd still end up sending people home after only 2 hour
Pay people to be there to do the job. If there isn't much of a job to do, they stand around or clean and reorganize. You're thinking like a middle manager trying to make his bonus.

There is enough money and there are enough people who'd do it. The abuses stem from greed, and only greed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Even if that would work, which in many cases it wouldn’t as I’ve already explained, they’d still be working night shifts for no good goddamn reason.
It would work, and yes, you'd have a crew working at night. The "night shift," if you will, though who knows if that terminology would catch on.

And you'd pay them all a living wage, pay the night shift people more because they don't get to live normal hours, and you'd still have more money than god.

You're telling on yourself here. The richest company on earth can afford to pay a living wage, and any argument against that is an appeal to authority.

And if it's not Amazon? Well, if you need to pay poo poo wages to stay in business, you're poo poo at business.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Or you hire more people and pay them well. Why is this so hard to understand?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tiggum posted:

I can't actually tell what you mean by the term "appeal to authority" here but I think you're using it wrong?
Sure did. Whoops.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean it's the employees being squeezed that's the problem. If you enforce proper labor standards, who the gently caress cares how quickly consumers get their poo poo? It's not a new thing for logistics companies to have to deal with randomly spiking demand, just worker's rights have been drastically scaled back in recent years.
This right here is the important part.

We've so bought in to the bosses' side of things for so long that we think it's impossible to provide services people want but don't need without completely dicking over workers in the process.

There is a way of doing next and same-day delivery of stuff all over the country in a profitable way that doesn't gently caress over the workers, but for some reason if you say that, people show up to bootlick for billionaires.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

And this way is?
I've answered this question a bunch of times, and if you want to just repeat the same poo poo at each other, I have absolutely no interest in doing that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We get it. You work in an industry where your boss tells you certain things are impossible and you believed them. Now shut up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'd like to point out that lots of you, as well as John Oliver, have used "next day oreos" to paint customer wants as a bad thing with a side of fat shaming.

Grocery stores sell oreos same-day. 7-11 does it at any hour of any day.

This isn't about loving oreos. Stop making customers sound selfish by reducing them to fat people who want to eat things.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PT6A posted:

The issue of rush shipping is separate from overworking warehouse employees, though. They could quite simply hire more people than they need, and pay them even when there's nothing for them to do, to account for peak demand whenever it should occur.
But that would be impossible because

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

A competitor would not do these things and squeeze employees instead, driving the nice warehousing company out of business.

You know, market pressure.
In this hypothetical, that couldn't happen. The hypothetical is that we make it impossible for companies to abuse their workers instead of sucking up the cost of the things they promise for their customers. Now if you want to argue that it won't happen because labor unions are weak, or corporate america is needlessly corrupt, or capitalism can't work without abject exploitation, we can talk, but your argument hasn't been any of those. It's been that we need to exploit people. So it's painfully obvious that you're not a defeated pessimist like some of us. You're a bootlick who needs us all to understand that the bosses know best and shared that information with you because you're special.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah a ton of stuff for the military is made with prison labour. Uniforms and so on.
My first thought was "how does anybody think this is okay?"

My second thought was the fact that one time I talked about a racist terrorist bomber who was targeting black people in Austin on Facebook and my mom, a proud democrat, popped up to lecture me about how my generation "makes everything about race," carrying water for a literal terrorist bomber because saying anything has a racial component to it makes white boomers bend over backwards to excuse the actions of even literal, actual murderous terrorists the moment they're made to think about race even a little bit and I remembered that I was nearing middle age when I accepted this fact and was thus part of the problem.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rarity posted:

And this is why the Dems keep nominating a bunch of lovely neolibs
By the time you get to the general, there are two options. You vote for the least lovely one and fight harder in the primary the next time.

You don't put Trump in the white house for spite because you didn't fall in love with a centrist.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean... that's exactly my point?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

"Vote Blue No Matter Who" completely ignores the political reality of most people, including moderates. It's the losing strategy the dems have kept trying since 2000. It wasn't Bernie Bros or misogyny or the electoral college that lost 2016, it was Hillary thinking she was the default choice.
Okay, so I guess it was better to have Trump in the white house than to hold your nose for Hillary? I'm so tired of this argument. Jesus Christ.

Ideological purity is for primaries.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Corky Romanovsky posted:

This is a pretty dumb argument. When federal government officials don't support underclass interests, the underclass (and sympathizers) should not be compelled to support said officials. Quite disgusting, really.
Not voting is voting for the worse of the only two options. Cutting off your nose to spite your face is a stupid way to live.

Primary the absolute dogshit out of the winner the next time around, because that's where the fight for ideological purity is actually taking place.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So you vote for the candidate you actually like in the primary. If they don't win, well, in the general you vote for whoever won the nomination anyway, because what you are saying by not voting at all is "I'm privileged enough that I know I won't actually feel the consequences if the Republicans win again but I'm painting it like some kind of moral high ground".
Exactly. They've kicked trans people out of the loving Millitary and are trying to make it legal for us to be fired for being trans. "Both options bad" is a position you can only hold when nothing will affect you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You cannot nag and browbeat an entire country into 'holding their nose'. That's a far more galling expression of privilege than protest voting.

You are entitled to nothing.
What the gently caress are you even talking about? Who's even suggesting that?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Doctors are people and people are terrible and oh, poo poo, this field requires your parents to be rich as gently caress, so in there too, and you know how insufferable people are when they go to school for something for seven years?

Add in the broken medical system on top of this and it's a miracle we're not all dead or bankrupt or both.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't help but picture every party I've ever been to where the ratio was like 6:1 women to men.

Angry, sexless, loveless men are the single biggest threat on Earth.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You pretty much have the same thing with the lost boys in the West who were promised success on a silver platter just like Boomers and got nothing.
That's just it. It's happening absolutely everywhere.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Then again there was that dude who just stole all the ballots and trashed them. But yeah. poo poo's super rare.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Does the US not have laws...
I'm gonna' stop you right there, because no. We do not. We have penalties for people without a lot of money.

Show me a rich person who has ever suffered a consequence and I'll show you another rich person they hosed over, then categorizing them as enemies of the rich and subject to consequences.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you demand that the entirety of society immediately deconstruct itself to rebuild everything from scratch before any reforms on any singular issues can ever be made, and you'll just get angry at anyone who has any hesitance, you're not in favor of any reform, you're in favor of constructing unreachable goals so that you can complain infinitely about how those goals remain unreached.
SOOOOOOOO many goons need to soak this in.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

That's one of the reasons why it's so great, there's no way that movie should be that good and the Assembly Cut is great.
I absolutely adore your avatar and custom title.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You could buy real chips.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

pwn posted:

Zapp’s are real chips, op
I was talking about pringles, though. :confused:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Also as bad as the anti-China poo poo is, <redacted> will never not be funny.
Maybe I'm just a big ol' prude, but I don't find racist jokes that get people loving murdered very funny.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's always been pretty strange that throughout my lifetime the democrats have been the actual fiscal conservatives, but the right gets to just say "huh uh, we are," and everybody treats what Republicans brand themselves as as loving gospel for no goddamned reason.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Call me crazy but maybe white people don't need another way to be racist.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Let's say it turned out one lab in China caused all this.

We don't scapegoat an entire race for that poo poo. That's so hosed up and horrible that I can't believe I have to even say it.

We don't blame Germans for Nazis, even, but they're white, so of course we don't.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We *needed* Jon Stewart. He got Americans away from Reagan and Bush in a way that let the next generation kill that and become actual leftists.

Stewart should've kept up and he didn't. That's why this hurts so bad. Dude has sway and he used it backwards.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So I just found out Jon Stewart is doing a show again.

Is there a thread for it, or should we discuss it here?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh? Did he do something?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't remember what those are or when they were talked about. Anybody care to enlighten me?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Isomermaid posted:

It was an absolutely wild web exclusive about rocks. Specific rocks.
Thank you!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Everybody working on this show has a well-paid television job and was connected enough to get it.

They critique capitalism all the time, but it's never full-throated because they're all rich. They all won.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Being queer is so politicized that there exists a truly unfathomable number of cis men who will argue that they're not queer. They just gently caress men sometimes.

"hosed my best friend every day after school for all of Junior year in our dorm. Nothing gay, though."

Bruh, exactly one thing means you're gay, bi, or pan. Not curtains, not being femme, not musical theater.

But the culture is so attuned to gayness being bad that these dudes legit believe they don't count.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Poster bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All of the people who say "none of us were alive when any of this happened and we're not responsible for any of it" get really defensive of whiteness, colonialism, and loving slavery the moment somebody brings them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

David Bowie hosed a fifteen-year-old girl, so if he was holding the universe together, it deserved to unravel.