Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

He should just do the show with a webcam from his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

Look I get your logic, it's very understandable and seems highly sensible at first glance. And yet, *points at loving everything* look at the state of all this poo poo. And it's been like this forever. And you know, revolutions have happened before, they aren't fiction.

My entire lifetime has been one of sliding backwards. The incremental change I have lived is primarily that of problems getting bigger, things that were built in the past getting broken down and nobody with power doing a goddamn thing to address the big looming threats of our age. If they even recognize those exist, rather than straight up denying the truth. So the practical result of your approach, as sensible as it may seem, is less than zero.

Your assumption here is that things are somehow worse then before, I usually find that comes from people not really understanding how bad things were. The progression of civil rights alone in past 30 has been vast. Things weren't better before you just didn't know how bad they were.,

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

He is mildly amusing enough to get people to pay attention to things they normally wouldn't that is good enough and more then we should expect from a random 30 minute television show from a comedian.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

What surprised me is how cheap it was, I figured getting them to sacrifice whatever integrity they had would be slightly more expensive.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Junkozeyne posted:

It's absurdely funny to point out how long lukashenko's presidency is while you have liches like pelosi or mcconell in power

I mean they are both evil but they aren't dictators?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

I am not a chill for big business, but the idea that inflation would just stop when the companies wouldn't rise prices is laughably short sighted.
Imagine everyone would get a 100% raise. Congrats, that money now is half as valuable, because the concept of money is a zero sum game, which only has a value in comparison to other people.

There are two reasons for pushing prices up. One is that the workers demand more money, the other is that there's more money in circulation, making it worth less. Each of these arrows has a reverse one from the money perspective and the one pointing from "workers demand higher wages" to "cost of living rises" would still have an effect, even if the companies would reduce their earnings.

A lot of econ 101 is absolute bullshit (looking at you Laffer curve!) But inflation cycles are a real thing and the Soviet Union did not manage to squash those either.

Why does money being in the hands of average people instead of the uber rich make it be worth less it's not like that money has to appear from nothing it would simply be less going to the top?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dumpmaster General posted:

Absolutely amazing to see John do a report on Puerto Rico's horrible power mismanagement as if he didn't literally have Lin Manuel Miranda on the show to beg for the bill that put Luma in control and further gutted the country for people like LMM's family to profit off. Him comparing his show to Bad Bunny's genuinely excellent video was a little enraging considering, you know, one of those guys is a Puerto Rican who is trying to draw attention to his home being raped by the country they're meant to be taken care of by and one's the guy who gave a suckjob to the bill that made it worse!

I guess people aren't allowed to learn from or acknowledge their mistakes?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Madurai posted:

As long as "your neighbors" are all absentee landlords and house-flippers. They serve the interests of no one else.

Even then "your neighbors" typically are the people who have the time/money/care to run for the HOA board who usually end up being petty tyrants with the ability to fine you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Absolutely epic. The fact is that Thomas is going to be under heavy scrutiny from here on out. He's not going to be able to continue accepting these crazy gifts.....which makes JOs offer that much more legitimate....imo. He's offering him a fairly lavish lifestyle for the remainder of his life.....and all he has to do is basically announce that he's a corrupt, unprincipled hack. Just beautifully done.

Why can't he continue accepting the gifts, who exactly is going to stop him?