Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

John's taking the mouse on tour throughout the PR circuit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaMxn_WD-nc

"I think the first Volkswagens that got shipped overseas went to Argentina..." :pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Clarence Thomas: Did you see that John Oliver offered me a million dollars a year for the rest of my life and a luxury motorcoach?
Some Billionaire rear end in a top hat: I did. It was so insulting towards you.
Clarence Thomas: I'm glad we agree. So... what's your counter offer?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Oliver kept pointing out that he was straight up offering a Supreme Court Justice a blatant and unmistakeable bribe but that according to the show's lawyer it was a completely legal thing to do. At the end he's just throwing money in the air yelling,"I can't believe this is legal!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought the way that pig butchering (not bacon and pork) story was put together and escalated to higher and higher states of revolting actions was pretty masterfully done. The video of the human trafficking victims getting beaten by their captors was pretty loving horrifying, Jesus.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I knew student loans in America in particular were bad, but holy poo poo :stare:

The reveal that of the 2 million people who had signed up for the plan that forgives your loan after 10 years of public service, 99% had been rejected when they hit 10 years and requested their loan be dismissed was just batshit insane.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

My mother in law was one of those people. She had applied twice and been denied (parent plus loan too).

After a lot of work, I convinced her to apply again once Biden announced the new changes, and it was accepted and zeroed out. Like $50k of loans gone in a flash. It was exactly as they described on the show. Paying for over 10 years, never missed a payment, the balance had only gone down $2000 despite a ~$500 monthly.

That's incredibly hosed up and I'm sorry your mother-in-law had to deal with all that bullshit, but man it must have been an amazing loving weight off when that 50k burden was suddenly just... gone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It blows my mind every time I see a look into stuff like Uber or the food apps in this ep, and you get interviews with the guys running them straight up saying on camera,"Yeah we just knowingly and repeatedly broke the law v:shobon:v" and the people interviewing or reporting on them (though not John Oliver in this case) just go,"Huh, okay well no need to follow up on that any further."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great (and horrible) story on the Death Penalty, no wonder they ended on the wholesome bit with Ilgar :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The utter bullshit those poor librarians had to put up with, Jesus Christ.

"And did your library have any of the books they were so angry about that they were showing up to your house to scream at you?"
"Not a single one."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I shouldn't be surprised, but the story about the Conservative Party being a miserable pack of loving assholes towards refugees was still infuriating and depressing. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love how much Oliver loved Windows95man :allears: