Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ninjewtsu posted:

Is op cross posting posts in this thread to cspam too? That'd actually be kind of funny
Probably not as he said posting about LWT is verboten in that forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Still, everything else aside, who else but John Oliver straight up targets oligarchs with his platform?

Like I strongly felt like the audience was reacting rather inappropriately to some of the absolutely heinous poo poo in that deposition but at the same time John is not wrong that people simply won't care if they are required to read this poo poo for themselves or listen to a dude reading it out on TV. So what the gently caress is anyone to do to call attention to this?
Travel back in time and kill Edward Bernays as a baby?

After 100 years of being trained to be consumers and not think critically, you can lead a populace to information but if it isn’t interesting enough they get distracted.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

As far as I know "the audience" in shows like this is almost entirely a fake concept; they are a group of people being ordered to do things on cue. If the signal says applause they applaud, if it says laugh they laugh. If they make incorrect noise out of turn they get yelled at as one group between takes. They're only allowed to be there because they perform a job. In this case the signal given to the studio audience did not thematically match the delivered line very well, which is a pretty common occurrence on talk shows and makes the "audience" seem mentally off but I believe they're a mostly fictional entity anyway.
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2015/05/late_night_s_live_tapings_what_it_s_like_to_be_in_the_studio_audience_for.html

quote:

John Oliver didn’t so much as glance at us, after his pre-show greeting. He sat at his desk and stared straight into a camera lens while reading from a teleprompter, delivering gag after gag as I disappointedly realized that we, the sad sacks in his tiny, tiered amphitheater, were serving as nothing more than a fleshy laugh track. Oliver was squarely focused on his real audience, by which I mean the TV/internet audience out there, instead of on the weirdo shmoes who’d been ushered in to fill up the seats.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tickets are free... which I believe is a law for broadcast shows, they cannot charge for tickets. I imagine this is an FCC rule, and likely wouldn’t technically apply to cable shows, since they’re not using the public airwaves and thus aren’t subject to the regulations thereof, but I think all of them give tickets away free, as well.

That said, I can’t find any source to back this up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also networks cover sporting contests, they don’t originate them; these games would occur whether or not they were being photographed and transmitted. Which is pretty distinct from a show being performed especially for broadcast.

That said, I wonder, the intersection of various stage guild rules and customs notwithstanding, if NBC could, theoretically at least, record and broadcast, say, a Broadway play, filled with ticket-buying spectators?

pwn
May 27, 2004

someone who isn't stephen fry

namely, ryan barger

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 24, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

... Wouldn't Hugh bonneville be more likely?
It says “(Goodbye Birbs)” next to Barger’s name

pwn
May 27, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

goodbye birbs is on the painting. It's just a co-inky-dink. And this: https://www.pbs.org/video/behind-scenes-hugh-bonneville-isb1gl/ sounds alot more like it. I'm pretty sure barger is the shouty announcer

e:
Ah, good catch, thanks!

pwn
May 27, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The big problem with the Democrats strategy has been that they seem to believe that public opinion is just a weathervane that must be followed rather than something that can be influenced by new information and political events.
As it has been, so it shall be

pwn
May 27, 2004

Mother Jones dived into this back in 2012.

quote:

Though we’re not paid to be here until 6, we have been informed that we need to arrive at 5. If we don’t show up in time to stand around while they sort out who we are and where they’ve put our ID badges, we could miss the beginning of training, which would mean termination. “I was up half the night because I was so afraid I was going to be late,” a woman in her 60s tells me.

quote:

The gal conducting our training reminds us again that we cannot miss any days our first week. There are NO exceptions to this policy. She says to take Brian, for example, who’s here with us in training today. Brian already went through this training, but then during his first week his lady had a baby, so he missed a day and he had to be fired. Having to start the application process over could cost a brand-new dad like Brian a couple of weeks’ worth of work and pay. Okay? Everybody turn around and look at Brian. Welcome back, Brian. Don’t end up like Brian.

quote:

At the announcement to take one of our two 15-minute breaks, we hustle even harder. We pickers close out the totes we’re currently filling and send them away on the conveyor belt, then make our way as fast as we can with the rest of the masses across the long haul of concrete between wherever we are and the break room, but not before passing through metal detectors, for which there is a line—we’re required to be screened on our way out, though not on our way in; apparently the concern is that we’re sneaking Xbox 360s up under our shirts, not bringing in weapons.

quote:

We run to grab the wheeled carts we put the totes on. We run past each other and if we do say something, we say it as we keep moving. “How’s the job market?” a supervisor says, laughing, as several of us newbies run by. “Just kidding!” Ha ha! “I know why you guys are here. That’s why I’m here, too!” At another near collision between employees, one wants to know how complaining about not being able to get time off went and the other spits that he was told he was lucky to have a job. This is no way to have a conversation, but at least conversations are not forbidden, as they were in the Ohio warehouse I reported on—where I saw a guy get fired for talking, specifically for asking another employee, “Where are you from?”

quote:

I’ve started cringing every time my scanner shows a code that means the item I need to pick is on the ground, which, in the course of a 10.5-hour shift—much less the mandatory 12-hour shifts everyone is slated to start working next week—is literally hundreds of times a day. “How has OSHA signed off on this?” I’ve taken to muttering to myself. “Has OSHA signed off on this?” (“The thing about ergonomics,” OSHA says when I call them later to ask, “is that OSHA doesn’t have a standard. Best practices. But no laws.”)

quote:

It’s brave of these women to keep their phones in the break room, where theft is so high—they can’t keep them in their cars if they want to use them during the day, because we aren’t supposed to leave the premises without permission, and they can’t take them onto the warehouse floor, because “nothing but the clothes on your backs” is allowed on the warehouse floor (anything on your person that Amalgamated sells can be confiscated—”And what does Amalgamated sell?” they asked us in training. “Everything!”).

quote:

I’ll admit that I did start crying a little. Not at work, thankfully, since that’s evidently frowned upon, but later, when I explained to someone over Skype that it hurts, oh, how my body hurts after failing to make my goals despite speed-walking or flat-out jogging and pausing every 20 or 30 seconds to reach on my tiptoes or bend or drop to the floor for 10.5 hours, and isn’t it awful that they fired Brian because he had a baby, and, in fact, when I was hired I signed off on something acknowledging that anyone who leaves without at least a week’s notice—whether because they’re a journalist who will just walk off or because they miss a day for having a baby and are terminated—has their hours paid out not at their hired rate but at the legal minimum. Which in this state, like in lots of states, is about $7 an hour. Thank God that I (unlike Brian, probably) didn’t need to pay for opting into Amalgamated’s “limited” health insurance program. Because in my 10.5-hour day I’ll make about $60 after taxes.

“This is America?” my Skype pal asks, because often I’m abroad.

I could keep going, but yeah.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Check this one out: Hiring more people and paying them better will mean less people stealing poo poo because they aren’t hopelessly desperate.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, if we're talking about nationalizing big corporations Amazon is way down the list. Comcast and ATT are the two big targets there.
You hear that, Business Daddy??? We should nationalize you!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Azhais posted:

Just be sure to have one of these for dessert

In semi-related news, wtf did imgur just do to its interface?
1. no
2. imgur has been amazingly bullish in making themselves as unsavory to use as an image host as is humanly possible

Basically: We’re not asking. You will use this as a social media platform, or you won’t use this.

Hopefully tomorrow I can still load the desktop version on mobile

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cocktail sauce is mainly ketchup, horseradish, worcestershire, and lemon juice. Perfectly reasonable flavours for a crisp.

More likely the revulsion is a reaction to the word “prawns.”

pwn
May 27, 2004

I appreciated the Belle and Sebastian nod.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Fantastic ad in August 20 issue of Variety

pwn
May 27, 2004

i have push notifications turned off for nearly everything, same with location services. I get notifications for Messenger, IMs, podcasts, and emails.

tsob posted:

Then again, I also have essentially never curated my general email account and there are over 10,000+ unread emails there. Which doesn't bother my rear end none, because anything important is going to be near the top anyway, I can favorite/star anything actually important and search exists if I want to find something older than a few weeks.
what’s checking emails, precious

:pwn:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Shitlibs 2020: Better Things Aren’t Possible

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oliver, Meyers, and Colbert need to throw money at the Some More News guy to coach them on being funny without a live audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKDgE1rcEoA

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think Oliver is particularly funny but whoa man neither is that fuckin guy

I’ll update my logs, ty

pwn
May 27, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I've only heard of ONN through posts here so seeing it live was...ugh. It's incredibly disturbing that these people not only have access to are president but also a non-zero audience.

So... just like the Spanish Flu and SARS-CoV-2 then?

OAN. ONN is Onion News Network, an organization of greater repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvzw7MOFhQo

pwn
May 27, 2004

Anyone but Bernie was going to lose. Everything is hosed.

But it is so especially bad with vice President Uh My Boss LastGuy Raprock You Know The Thing Sundown. We are so so hosed

pwn
May 27, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

The judicial system has blocked the executive branch a bunch of times, but the republicans stacked the supreme court with rapists that the democrats failed to meaningfully challenge.

Shoulda told the dems that Kavanaugh supported Medicare for All

pwn
May 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

It's not just the poors freeloading but also "drat, if I could own the USPS, maybe I could finally be as rich as Bezos!"

It’s mainly this, the 2006 bill was a tactic known as “starve the beast.” Making them have 75 goddamned years of benefits on hand was explicitly to break them, so that the commentariat could point to the now-floundering service and bellow: “See?! The government is incompetent! Only the glorious free market can innovate!”

Hard to say that the government service is bad if they’re well in the green every year. So they put an unrealistic burden on them to make what’s happening now possible. The whole thing about raising rates and Amazon is just blather to cover their end-game.

Note that John didn’t mention removal of the ridiculous funding requirements as a solution to the problem.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Dallas’s

Edit: On-topic, i bought two sets of stamps last night. I’d been meaning to buy a sheet the past few weeks anyway to help support the PO, this was too good to pass up. Glad I’m financially able to do so.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ap Style Guide posted:

When creating the possessive form of nouns, there are eight simple rules:

1. For both AP and Chicago style, if a singular noun does not end in s, add ‘s

The delivery boy’s truck was blocking the driveway.
Bob Dole’s concession speech was stoic and dignified.
NOTE: Even if the singular noun is a proper noun (i.e. a name) if it does not end in s, add ‘s.

The student’s attempts to solve the problem were rewarded
2. If a singular common noun ends in s, Chicago and AP handle apostrophes differently. For both styles, if a singular common noun ends in s, add ‘s

FOR AP STYLE: if the word following the singular common noun ending in s begins with s, add an apostrophe only. (This includes words with s and sh sounds.)

The boss’s temper was legendary among his employees. (AP and Chicago)
The boss‘ sister was even meaner. (AP)
The The boss‘s sister was even meaner. (Chicago)
The witness’s version of the story has several inconsistencies. (AP and Chicago)
The witness‘ story did not match the events recorded on tape. (AP)
The witness’s story did not match the events recorded on tape. (Chicago)
3. If a singular proper noun (a name) ends in s, Chicago and AP handle apostrophes differently.

In AP style, if a proper noun ends in s or an s sound, add an apostrophe only.

Chris‘ exam scores were higher than any other students’.

4. If a noun is plural in form and ends in an s, add an apostrophe only, even if the intended meaning of the word is singular (such as mathematics and measles.)

The instructor asked us to analyze ten poems’ meanings.
The dog catcher had to check all of the dogs’ tags.
It is hard to endure the Marine Corps’ style of discipline.
5. If a plural noun does not end in s, add ‘s

Many activists in Oregon are concerned with children’s rights.
Everyone was disappointed with the American media’s coverage of the Olympics in Atlanta.
6. If there is joint possession, use the correct possessive for only the possessive closest to the noun.

Clinton and Gore’s campaign was successful.
She was worried about her mother and father’s marriage.
Beavis and Butthead’s appeal is absolutely lost on me.
7. If there is a separate possession of the same noun, use the correct possessive form for each word.

The owner’s and the boss’s excuses were equally false.
The dog’s and the cats’ owners were in school when the fire broke out.
8. In a compound construction, use the correct possessive form for the word closest to the noun. Avoid possessives with compound
plurals.

My father-in-law’s BMW is really fun to drive.
The forest ranger’s truck is painted an ugly shade of green.
Your neighborhood letter carrier’s job is more difficult than you imagine

So basically,

Josh Lyman posted:

It depends on the style guide you're following but both are acceptable.

Edit: I need to buy a more current AP style guide, those mid-90s references are a trip though

The last one really wraps around back to the topic at hand, haha.

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 13, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's an annoying thing where for some reason so much professional media refuses to assign malicious motivations to the most obvious goddamn plots, so they're left doing these elaborate shows of idiocy because they can't let themselves be seen as one of those crazy conspiracy theorists.

Like earlier when William Barr clearly was saying that a criminal who pled guilty to multiple crimes should be absolved, John Oliver couched his criticism in this idiotic way where he said, "This could set a dangerous precedent," like Barr was just acting foolishly on the spur of the moment as opposed to directly planning to break the law to defend the administration, just like what he said he would do in the essays about breaking the law to help the president that got him hired to break laws to help the president, and after he smiled at that reporter saying that after successfully breaking the law to help the president, the world order that would follow in the future would be forced to be sympathetic to its master unbounded by human law.

There is no precedent. This is the damage being done now. Like I don't know whether they're waiting for deathsquads publicly executing dissenters to actually speak up about things or what.

I think they (Oliver, Colbert, et al) feel that if they don’t act cynical, cooler heads will prevail. Or they have terminal brainworms. Six of one, etc.

Cody Johnston is the cynic you’re looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfIsuMmncm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQ4Cm9gYv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn1zQiwVBJY

pwn
May 27, 2004

The post office bending and ruining the commemorative stamps i bought to help save the post office is probably the most post office thing

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 24, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

This week’s episode coincides with this fantastic and thoroughly depressing article in this week’s unusually-good issue of the New Yorker

Punishment by Pandemic: In a penitentiary with one of the U.S.’s largest coronavirus outbreaks, prison terms become death sentences.

Seriously, go out and buy this.

(Closer look)

pwn
May 27, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That guy with his homemade armour is still a national hero. :v:

He and his gang got to wear their lovely suits of armour in just the one shootout with the police, things were going really well until the cops realised that they hadn't made any leg armour so they kneecapped 'em all and that was the end of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4HJAm0xrF0

But the inverse thereof

pwn
May 27, 2004

This is why I loathe the Tiny Houses thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xwJvrWRRxg

Do you want to sleep in a cutesified shed? Yes it is better than a bench, or a tent, or even a shelter, but that it is humiliating is the point. You don’t deserve dignity. You haven’t earned it. Yeah I guess I’d rather sleep in a Shame Shed than under a bridge, and maaaaybe instead of my car, but you could just let people live in actual loving buildings, too.

pwn
May 27, 2004

tsob posted:

It's definitely too radical for me, because I literally have no idea what would even mean. I would assume it means something like "a house no longer has a value", but then, how do you even convince people to build and maintain them en masse, if doing so doesn't have any economic return?

Because we like to live in houses?

pwn
May 27, 2004

I remember him from High Spirits, which is also my main exposure to Peter O’Toole and Daryl Hannah (before Kill Bill anyway.)

pwn
May 27, 2004

Everyone needs to read the Atlantic piece.

The Election That Could Break America

“If you are a voter, think about voting in person after all. More than half a million postal votes were rejected in this year’s primaries, even without Trump trying to suppress them. If you are at relatively low risk for COVID-19, volunteer to work at the polls. If you know people who are open to reason, spread word that it is normal for the results to keep changing after Election Night.”

pwn
May 27, 2004

Xealot posted:

Fight Club gives me way more of a Gen-X vibe. Millennials were 10-15 at the time, so I can definitely see your point.

Fight Club came out in 1999, the youngest Millennial was -5 and the oldest was 17, so it definitely fits, but agreed, as a Millennial who was 17 at the time, it felt like it was appealing to the generation before me, who were all about grunge at the start of the decade and had become disillusioned office drones by the end of it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

“The mad king president is replacing the top pentagon officials so that he can fire sale the government,” he tells himself as he sweats through four layers of clothing

This is really Cool, and Normal, and Doesn’t Happen Here

pwn
May 27, 2004

For a “fun” game, imagine the alternate timeline where President Clinton conceded the election last week to whatever Trump-but-competent horror emerged from the mists this cycle after being drubbed for the nearly 2 dozen American COVID-19 deaths on her watch, and the draconian lockdowns she instituted back in January that mildly inconvenienced American travelers but few others, about which FOX News et al screamed about like Benghazi times 100 for the past year.

pwn fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 17, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

I long for vicious crackdowns on non-compliant anti-maskers tbh

pwn
May 27, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

You could buy real chips.

Zapp’s are real chips, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Related, why do Americans pronounce it "sir-racha"????

Because we’re bad at pronouncing non-English words and worse at taking any criticism of our speech

A white lady named Karen coined, “Language is always evolving”