Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jonny is correct. The selected side mission is the partner we run around with in the open-world outside of the Hub. It's really cool, it doesn't actually make any gameplay difference but I really like that it lets you run around with whoever you want. Feels very organic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I'm getting this game for a nephew, mostly so I can play it while he's in Budapest with family this summer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well we certainly left Pleasantville abruptly. Doesn't seem like there are going to be any frolicking not-deer or fluffy not-bunnies in there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AltaBrown posted:

I'm getting this game for a nephew, mostly so I can play it while he's in Budapest with family this summer.

Y'know what, there is no shame in that, my dad does the same thing for my brothers. The Xbone is not in the living room instead of their bedroom because it's got better acoustics! :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sorry for that break, got busy with some personal life stuff, but I am back and ready to keep things moving!

Rag and Bone, Rod and Stone, Jokell and CJacobs are comin' home.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Finally got around to this.

Your end-of-episode comments are exactly how I feel about this game.

It's really cool to have such a simplified art style end up so beautiful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I was gonna call this episode 'Tower of Terror' but terror isn't really an emotion Ashen makes you feel. Uh, yet.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I wonder if that Mask will set us up for the bad end or something, it's very cursed-looking.

And I started talking out loud after the boss fight and CJacobs rounded the corner WE GET TO RIDE THE PUPPY :swoon:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
aaaaa what a cute whale bird pupper thing

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The good fast travel systems always involve riding some large animal. The best fast travel systems let you control the animal.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
I love this game so thanks for recommending it! OTOH, there is a point probably about 3 or 4 episodes away where I'm not going to spoil but I got frustrated and just quit. Gonna pick this back up though, your enthusiasm helps.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And thrown with great force, too! This is the kind of difficulty curve that'll give a man whiplash!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Can you upgrade armor or only weapons? That's a pretty big leap in damage from bosses to what are essentially mini-bosses. Those talismans that reduce damage seem like a good idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You cannot upgrade armor, and I'm wearing some of the most protective stuff you can get at this point in the game! The wilderness area is a big hike up in enemy damage, definitely the point at which the game assumes you get the gist of how to play it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

You cannot upgrade armor, and I'm wearing some of the most protective stuff you can get at this point in the game! The wilderness area is a big hike up in enemy damage, definitely the point at which the game assumes you get the gist of how to play it.

On this topic, maybe you're meant to use that orb helmet in regular gameplay now? It certainly seemed you were doing less damage than your buddy even with the same weapon; maybe the devs compensated by giving said buddy a damage boost to match the player supposedly using the helmet?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, we're going to find out in the next few episodes that I was very wrong when I assumed the Ukoto mask was a bit overpowered. Because this is like exactly the point in the game when it goes from 'overpowered' to just 'powered'! Real unfortunate timing on my part. :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
The mask is ugly as sin though and everyone knows that Fashion Souls is the only way to play these kind of games :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Specifically the laughter of only one person, but I guess technically one person could fill a barrel if they laughed enough at your expense.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

CJacobs posted:

Specifically the laughter of only one person, but I guess technically one person could fill a barrel if they laughed enough at your expense.

Well that was a mean prank :stare:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What an odd travel system. There's even a stone like 1 minute away!

I'm a sucker for more the more organic environment progression so I really do like how the town is going. I wonder how much it's going to expand, or how many other characters it's going to get.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
It's a really nice change from the DS accumulation of dreary, manically laughing idiots that sit around whatever pitiful remains are flagged as the hub.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
It's crazy all the stuff you are showing off that I have never seen playing this. That barrel is amazing, lol!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime!

edit: It was winter when I recorded this let's play so this video description was at the time accurate :x

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I didn't catch it last video, but I love how many smashed barrels there are at the end of the barrel trip. Like, how often does this happen? Is she regularly pushing people into barrels and hoping for the best? It's great.

Also the "OOPS" was glorious

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What happened to "For Better or Curse"? :colbert: I demand punny titles, drat it!

On a more serious note, it's good to see that you're not bad at video games, and that this area's difficulty spike is a pretty much universally acknowledged thing!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ashen is currently on sale for 30 bucks! It's all the way down to 20 bucks with the Epic Discount to boot (I don't know what that means!) Either way, 30 dollars is absolutely worth pulling the trigger on it if you're on the fence, that's about the perfect price for it in my opinion!

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
But do i want to bother with another lovely game launcher on my pc, though?

That aside, i am really enjoying your lp, CJacobs. Thanks for taking your time for exploration and not rushing through the game world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You don't need the Epic Games Launcher running to play a lot of the games currently on it (Ashen specifically can even do the multiplayer!). It's mostly just for downloading. I really think that it's worth the minor annoyance of having another program on your PC, especially since you can set it to automatically close and other basic stuff like that. The Epic Games Store launched a bit too early in my opinion and it is very feature-light but it is serviceable as a program.

Ashen IS coming to Steam in Q4 of this year, with the current projection being December-ish, but it's not worth waiting just to keep all your e-Eggs in one e-Basket imo.

edit: And thanks! I know this LP hasn't been non-stop explosions and yelling like 3/4ths of my let's plays are but it's nice to slow down for once and really drink it in. The game really does just ooze atmosphere.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 18, 2019

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

It's a nice relaxing stroll through a very pretty world, interspersed with occasional moments of panic due to really big dudes you weren't expecting. Lots of fun.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

As someone with nearly a full terabyte hard drive of raw video files I want to (but am poorly motivated to) edit and upload, you producing a tutorial or three would be pretty sweet. I know there's all kinds of information out there already but damnit, you're a content creator I already watch and those other schmucks aren't!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's definitely been on my mind lately, I think it'd be a fun little side project to make a script for and stuff. I'd go over popular programs, the process of using them to record and cut together something simple, how to render video down to one file and upload it, as well as tips and tricks or mistakes to avoid during the editing process. So who knows, you may be getting a big ol tutorial from your pal CJacobs sometime!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Let's Play Let's Play?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha, I was looking through my recordings hard drive and it turns out I actually was farther ahead on this idea than I thought I was, I already have a script mostly written!

So I guess it's been on my mind for longer than I thought!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh God, I actually read all that in your voice, CJacobs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's kind of hard to feel a sense of retribution when it comes to getting revenge/vengeance if it's a multiple step program.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I dunno, I think "welcome to the club" works better if you're about to bash someone with it :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

I dunno, I think "welcome to the club" works better if you're about to bash someone with it :v:

"You and I? We're going to meet at the club."

I've been eyeing those statues suspiciously this entire series so far. All those spears protruding from the pillars also seem mildly tutorial-ish.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fighting for air while you circle the drain.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Stellar music choice for the montage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I mean obviously you're probably way past this point but all that moss you're finding really makes it seem like the game's telling you should be upgrading your weapon more?

Still a very large area with no checkpoints, yikes. Really needed one of those patented Dark Souls shortcuts there.