Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, the enemies do a ton of damage regardless of my own damage level, but a recurring problem throughout this play through is going to be me neglecting to upgrade my weapons until later than the game probably intends. I did make note of it in the commentary but it seems it was a bigger deal than I thought in hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Regardless of weapon damage or enemy damage big area attack enemies, small fast enemies, enemies with grab attacks, narrow corridors with potential death drops, and darkness that you can only solve by either not using a shield or isolating yourself to a small zone, is a hell of a combination to run into after the generous spaces before it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a hell of a shift in design, for sure!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

clifftonite
:eyepop:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I picked this up after watching a few videos because it looked nice and charming and then I hit this area :gonk: The gourd stations help, but it really needs a waypoint or two. DS would have given you at least one by now, probably combined with a shortcut. I don't mind the dying, but I do mind having to do the whole goddamn thing from scratch every time. I think the pinning rune will help, along with the one that gives you stun when you have your lantern out. I'll be diving back in this weekend so I guess I'll see.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
The sheer amount of weapons you seem to pick up in this game would give me some serious indecision regarding which ones are "worth" upgrading.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I'm kind of wavering on buying this game. Would anyone be up for some co-op?

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Yeah this is the part I was talking about when I quit. I guess a lot of people have problems with it, glad I'm not the only one.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Aumanor posted:

I'm kind of wavering on buying this game. Would anyone be up for some co-op?
Sure, though I'm not certain how it works. Doesn't seem to be any option to summon or randomly join another person's game - a couple of times now I've had a real person drop in (your companion's icon changes to a blank diamond instead of an avatar) but they both got murdered pretty quickly.

e: I did finally make it through last night and there's a stone at the bottom so at least you don't have to do this whole thing should you lose to the boss.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sylphosaurus posted:

The sheer amount of weapons you seem to pick up in this game would give me some serious indecision regarding which ones are "worth" upgrading.

There are so many weapons. I definitely feel this way about it, especially since a lot of them have similar movesets (they are mostly unique though!). I think the game would have been better off with way fewer weapons that had more distinct movesets or attack speeds or similar.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Sure, though I'm not certain how it works. Doesn't seem to be any option to summon or randomly join another person's game - a couple of times now I've had a real person drop in (your companion's icon changes to a blank diamond instead of an avatar) but they both got murdered pretty quickly.

e: I did finally make it through last night and there's a stone at the bottom so at least you don't have to do this whole thing should you lose to the boss.

If two people have the same Co-Op password set, they'll automatically hook up when they are both outside of Vagrant's Rest. However you can hit the up button (I think?) on the d-pad to send out a ping to the game servers at any time even if you just wanna play with randoms!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CJacobs posted:

There are so many weapons. I definitely feel this way about it, especially since a lot of them have similar movesets (they are mostly unique though!). I think the game would have been better off with way fewer weapons that had more distinct movesets or attack speeds or similar.

If two people have the same Co-Op password set, they'll automatically hook up when they are both outside of Vagrant's Rest. However you can hit the up button (I think?) on the d-pad to send out a ping to the game servers at any time even if you just wanna play with randoms!
I think the game intends you to constantly use something new - whatever you find in an area seems to scale to you. You still need to upgrade but the base damage is way higher. My storage box is almost full :ohdear: Also haven't found a way to sell things or break them down for resources which is kind of a shame. Maybe it unlocks later or that's just not a thing this game does and you're expected to dump older stuff.

That's good to know, I just read the FAQ on the game's website and minus a password it's just a thing that kind of happens. Good to know about the ping though, I'll give that a try.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

Are you on discord?

E: sorry for using your thread for this, CJakes, unfortunately the general thread in Games was DoA. Really enjoying your commentary, put on that goddamn mask again you're making this harder on yourself than it needs to be.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 8, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Crossposting from the Immortal Unchained thread:

CJacobs posted:

Hey, sorry this lp has died a bit. It'll be back soon. Currently I'm going through some really rough Crohn's related problems and so I can't really get settled long enough to record anything new. I'm working with my doctor to figure out what's going on and how we can fix it, but for now I'm just making this post to keep the thread from getting bumped into the archive. In the meantime, check out my let's play of Ashen if you're not watching it already! It's got a very similar "AA" Indie Game With Pro Polish type of vibe.

Also, The Surge and Bloodborne are now on the LP Archive! Thanks baldurk! :toot:

Thankfully Ashen won't be slowed down as much because I've already got quite a backlog built up. So here's another episode!

Get it? Because we're at the heart of a dark dungeon, fighting the metaphorical heart of the dark forces, to reclaim a literal heart of darkness. Listen I don't claim to be a genius okay, I just write snappy episode titles.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

CJacobs posted:

Get it? Because we're at the heart of a dark dungeon, fighting the metaphorical heart of the dark forces, to reclaim a literal heart of darkness. Listen I don't claim to be a genius okay, I just write snappy episode titles.

Welp, time to pause Bloodborne, and watch this episode!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm not sure how big your backlog is, but I've made it to the final boss and I can say that while I love the aesthetic they really did a bad job of scaling the difficulty. This area is just the beginning of it.

As someone who's never really had a complaint about how hard the Souls games are (I may not be great but I can always see where I messed up) there are some sections that are just straight up bullshit. Not only do enemies do a fuckton of damage, you'll get mobbed by half a dozen or more plus ranged guys. I also feel like they did stamina management very poorly. You can upgrade weapons but not armor or shields and while you do get better stuff the damage reduction doesn't make up for the stamina penalty. Using a two-hander pretty much becomes pointless as you'll just get poo poo on over and over; you can't block with them at all and after a couple of hits you can't dodge your way out of trouble due to no stamina regen. You also can't turtle since even the best stability shield eats up a third or more of your stamina with a single hit. You max out at 8 gourds which doesn't seem like enough for the amount of damage late-game enemies do.

If this is a first effort by the studio then hopefully they'll get better with the fine tuning. The environments are varied and interesting, and the art style is wonderful. If I'd paid more at launch I might be a tad saltier but even if I didn't finish it I'd be content with the amount of gameplay for the $20. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do on some of the late-game stuff as it mostly reduced me to incoherent yelling punctuated by swears.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
What is the song you used? I feel like I recognise the artist.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's 'In Circles' by Darren Korb and Ashley Barrett, from the Transistor soundtrack. It was the name of the previous episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGMWL8cOeAU

edit: Usually I name the songs I use in the pinned comment underneath the video they're used in, but I forgot this time! Whoops!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 12, 2019

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Ah, yes, that is where I heard it!
I googled for it and got Darren Korb, but mistakenly dismissed it as the wrong song because of the female vocalist.
I have since realised that it reminded me of a song by Abney Park and then spent ages trying to find it, since it is very different from their usual songs.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So, my son just gave me a Fathers Day card in which I was Super Dad. Among my mortal enemies were the Dark Souls 3 Tutorial boss. Because he knows I can't beat that stupid thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

We all learn and grow with age, it's just that some people learn and grow at the same pace as a comic book character.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
At 28:40/41, it looks like you missed an item.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God drat you've got a good eye, it was only on screen for like half a second :eyepop:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So the obvious point of being able to buy scoria stashes is that you don't drop those when you die. So if you have a lot of scoria stored up and are going into a tough area, you can, at the cost of 0.1(6) of your hoard, safeguard it against loss. Perhaps in the future larger stashes will unlock, maybe with better ratio.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I only noticed that item because I was looking down that hallway wondering if there's a path to somewhere else.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

He's done that a few times, had an item on screen around a corner or something and just doesn't quite catch it. I saw one or two in the Endless Deep Dark Dungeon, but didn't say anything cuz with all the cuts maybe he found them on subsequent runs. Or they were just more Sapient Moss or Craven Remnants and eh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, you're going to notice going forward that there is an absolute ton of moss compared to the weapons we're picking up. It's kind of frustrating actually, the game just dumps moss on you for this leg of the journey which makes it hard to find new armor or weapons because you never know what's going to be in a stash. A game like say Dark Souls was smart about this and they put item sets in chests, weapons on corpses, and standard items just sitting around on the floor on dessicated corpses. Ashen just lumps them all together unfortunately.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Aumanor posted:

So the obvious point of being able to buy scoria stashes is that you don't drop those when you die. So if you have a lot of scoria stored up and are going into a tough area, you can, at the cost of 0.1(6) of your hoard, safeguard it against loss. Perhaps in the future larger stashes will unlock, maybe with better ratio.

It's an interesting way to bank money, I'm just not sure if it's... good?

It feels like a half-assed way to get around the corpse run which is a questionable mechanic in Souls-games to begin with.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Sekiro has the same thing with sen banking, though it's limited in quantity. IMO just get rid of the whole corpse run mechanic in general.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That's a disappointing end to that leap. Unless that's just a really unintentionally video game looking jump that has to be doable in some form, right?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Everything about that screamed Fall Damage Rune to me.

Bataran posted:

The look of a weapon can do as much damage as its blade.
Behold, the Goatse Hammer.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Fish Noise posted:

Everything about that screamed Fall Damage Rune to me.

Behold, the Goatse Hammer.

Why? Why would you put that image in our heads?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The small scoria stashes don't seem worth it but when you can buy the large ones it's not the worst way to bank money if you're going through a really dangerous area. Maybe you get a new weapon/talisman/relic you want to equip or upgrade and die right after, then you don't have to do a corpse run and have to come back to Vagrant's again before it's useful and since it's the random non-hostile NPC's that sell them you can stash as you go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

You can't start a fire sitting 'round crying over a broken heart. This gun's for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
drat, so that's what those weird monk things were for- here's to hoping that there's weird optional dungeons they open up. Speaking of which, did you put on that helmet with all those little orbs around it in future videos? I've been rewatching the videos and it seems like that would make the game somewhat easier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wore it for a few episodes early on, but I deemed it made the game a bit easy so I took it off. As it turns out, that was the exact point at which wearing it would have become useful! v:v:v

You'll see Jokell et al wearing it occasionally from now on though, it turns out that picking something up or purchasing a relic will add it to a pool of possible equipment your NPC buddies can use! Which is cool!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

At least that 10k scoria you have to pay to change it isn't totally wasted.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
From Wikipedia;
"Human fat (German Menschenfett, Latin Axungia hominis) was mentioned in European pharmacopoeias since the 16th century as an important fatty component of quality deemed ointments and other pharmaceuticals in Europe. In old recipes human adipose tissue was mentioned as Pinguedo hominis, or Axungia hominis (abbrev. Axung. hominis)"

So yeah, you're eating people fat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thesaya posted:

From Wikipedia;
"Human fat (German Menschenfett, Latin Axungia hominis) was mentioned in European pharmacopoeias since the 16th century as an important fatty component of quality deemed ointments and other pharmaceuticals in Europe. In old recipes human adipose tissue was mentioned as Pinguedo hominis, or Axungia hominis (abbrev. Axung. hominis)"

So yeah, you're eating people fat.

AAAHHH

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
FANTASY CRISCO IS PEOPLE!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!