Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You still didn't investigate what looks like the route to the area below ...Sirens rest was it?
Instead of jumping or climbing down to it, it looks like you can just walk around it. Take a closer look at your map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nah, I asked in the A44 Games discord about it and there's nothing there. For some reason the map doesn't match the actual level, and there's that huge lake that appears to be part of the map but just doesn't exist at all.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Cut content perhaps? If swimming/interacting with water was better than "ankle deep or instant drowning", that might have been an area to explore.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

CJacobs posted:

Nah, I asked in the A44 Games discord about it and there's nothing there. For some reason the map doesn't match the actual level, and there's that huge lake that appears to be part of the map but just doesn't exist at all.

Well, curiosity satisfied in any case then! Thanks for checking it out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The mire itself is the part that's admirable. What an amazing geological phenomenon. The locals however are the exact opposite of admirable.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

CJacobs posted:

The mire itself is the part that's admirable. What an amazing geological phenomenon. The locals however are the exact opposite of admirable.

Shame we had to go through two bland locations to get this amazing area. Kind of has a similar tree/color look as Vagrant's Rest. Which is a nice opening -> ending loop!

Kind of has a The Witness vibe to it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Those rock rhinos are the saddest enemy ever. I figured they were going to be the slow but powerful type but that was redefining slow. They actually might have been attacking you when you first ran around them but they never got an attack off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Y'know, I really admire the recurring themes of this game. Light, dark, family, optimism, warmth, bloodlines, MURDER OF THOUSANDS OF BANDITS

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Oh man Lathyrus Castle looks :krad:

It may be inspired by Middle Eastern/Persian architecture? Just by the design alone it feels like an imposing (presumably?) final area. It looks big.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Don't they know, it's the end of the world~? It ended when I said, "goodbye".

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"A miniboss-ish enemy on a semi-hidden roof that should be an interesting fi-oh it fell off okay."

You know, it feels like forever since we had a true boss fight. What was the last one, the big lantern guy in the cave? All those Doctor Octopus statues in the canyon and nothing even resembling that between you and the way out? Seems like we're missing out on something. Not necessarily the progression of the plot but the... escalation of it? It's been on a plateau for a while now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I agree that the game could've used more bosses or one-off encounters. There are only a couple in the whole game with huge gaps between them and it feels a bit lacking in that area. I think they did a good job of slowly ramping up the danger and intelligence of the basic enemies, but there hasn't been anything truly UNIQUE (as in, only appearing once) besides the Amiren boss fight at the bottom of the Listener dungeon. Even Ukoto eventually came back as a standard enemy type.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Foiled for the last time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess that was more thematically appropriate ending to the quest but drat it game you put Malik in an area basically made for a miniboss fight.

Anyways here's hoping for a good run up to the end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's the Very Definitely Final Dungeon, and you know what that means! Another jump in difficulty, and terror!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Before Watching: The only thing that scares you is Spiders (and for good reason!)

After Watching: Eh, those aren't that bad. Now Ghost Spiders on the other hand.... :)

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

I don't understand how you're at presumably the end of the game and there's still three "big bads" left that you haven't even seen: The Shadow of the Ashen, Sissna, and Riak.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Sequel bait, maybe?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm guessing the reason there are so few bosses is that each unique enemy requires a disproportionate amount of art, animation, and AI work and it's a relatively small developer. Even AAA action games frequently recycle enemies and bosses.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Akumu posted:

I don't understand how you're at presumably the end of the game and there's still three "big bads" left that you haven't even seen: The Shadow of the Ashen, Sissna, and Riak.

It's funny you should say that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb_hQ1K-CQo

Ashen's PS4/Nintendo Switch/Steam version trailer released today, and at 1:11 something kinda interesting pops up!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's funny you should say that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb_hQ1K-CQo

Ashen's PS4/Nintendo Switch/Steam version trailer released today, and at 1:11 something kinda interesting pops up!

*adds to Steam Wishlist*

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I thought they had no plans to bring it to PS4. This makes me happy!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, they seem to be going back on a lot of the things they said they wouldn't be doing early on in the game's life- they said there wouldn't be patches or updates, or a PS4/Switch port, or a game-world expansion, and now it seems we're getting all those things. I'm glad they've found enough success with the game that they feel it's warranted devoting more time to it!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You should definitely try attacking one of those not-quite-statues.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Unrest in the house of light.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For a boss with adds and that much agility that's a pretty ridiculous health bar. It feels like this boss was made for actual co-op.

You know another weakness with how the dungeons and fast travel work here is that the it is very discouraging to realize you may need to go upgrade or change the various perks since you have to do the entire dungeon over again. Even worse if you realize this at the boss - not that it seemed there was much to change in this case.
Even before the boss fight I was really hoping to see our sky whale pup plant themselves on that stone on the balcony but nothing doing. The "boss run" in other games of this particular genre is one thing but that only happens once you feel you're in a position to beat it - it is never made hard to go get bigger and come back later.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sorry if I missed this in an earlier part, but is it possible to upgrade your armor?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nope, and none of the armor really is all that effective which is very strange. Wearing nothing gets you almost the same result as wearing the more defensive/heavy clothes. The most defensive set in the game only gives 30% damage protection while making actions cost 70% more stamina which is super not worth it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It may he the same deal as in GAME WHICH MUST NOT BE NAMED where wearing armor is the difference between a boss comboing you to death or leaving you with a sliver which to come back from.

70% of a truckload of damage is still a lot of damage, bit it might mean the diff between a second chance or death.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's true, but the stamina cost (and the regen speed penalty) is just so large that I don't think the tradeoff is worth it at all. Especially not against an enemy like this boss where he jumps around a whole bunch and each attack comes in strings of two or three so you gotta dodge or block constantly.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
CJacobs: "Well, I think we're at the end here."

Me: :roflolmao:

That guy was a huge dick to fight. I don't feel so bad now seeing you had as much trouble as I did. I ended up abusing elevation differences (him on the steps and you below ends up in a lot of his attacks whiffing) and had Silaren with me who was a goddamn monster with the two-headed axe. She chopped adds like cordwood while I dealt with the boss.

Still the stamina thing was one of my real complaints with the game. I mean, in DS you also suffer a stamina penalty but poise helps make up for that. In Ashen you get staggered and not using some kind of shield against that guy is just suicide, no matter how good you are at dodging. But then the shields have a stamina penalty too, so it all kinda sucks.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Holy hell that boss fight.

Also, I was 100% with you when he did that to Amara.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Holy hell that boss fight.

Also, I was 100% with you when he did that to Amara.

And then she just kinda...comes back without explanation. Which...nice to see her again but way to undercut the impact.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dark depths of the earth where sunlight is unable to penetrate through thick clouds of smog that conceal hunched over slimy creatures which communicate with each other by hissing and screeching? Sounds like SA to me!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
While the shovel can upgrade further, you might find it a little easier using the sword that's still stronger.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I find that the comedy value of beating things up with a shovel outweighs the bit of extra damage the sword deals at this point. At least the enemies in the Gnaw go down in a relatively sane number of hits!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

malkav11 posted:

And then she just kinda...comes back without explanation. Which...nice to see her again but way to undercut the impact.

There is that respawn point just outside in the courtyard. It's where she got the clothes I'm more :confused: about.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I feel Like Lira could have chosen a better evil form than slow moving skeleton to take over the world or whatever she wanted to do.

berryjon posted:

There is that respawn point just outside in the courtyard. It's where she got the clothes I'm more :confused: about.

She is a buddy character and buddy characters do come back after they die just like the player. I don't think the player character has been absorbed by a boss to fuel its weapons yet but death is death.

It doesn't come up often but the purple gak reminded me that Ashen is somewhat forgiving when it comes to potentially deep water since you can slowly swim for shore. As long as you don't go in with 0 stamina or end up in the centre of a huge pool getting those far off items wouldn't be that dangerous, enemies aside.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kibayasu posted:

I feel Like Lira could have chosen a better evil form than slow moving skeleton to take over the world or whatever she wanted to do.

I believe the idea is that she messed with the skele-fungus too much and thats what turned her into a frontlineswoman in the eternal skeleton war. Messing or dealing with 'the dark' seems to always carry a price.

Also im surprised Jokell has no reaction to you equipping the (an? Are there multiple?) Umbral veil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure I became corrupted by the darkness in the same way all the other ghosts around the game did. "Ooh, I got a new collectible! I wonder what it does! I'm gonna put it on and wear it around! Oh no I'm a darkness ghost forever now!"