Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The image is wrong -- the KOs auto-target actually targets people closest to death as of last board update. It was called "kill shots" before release, which would be a better descriptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm four games in a row of being targeted by several players from the start of the match. This is getting ooollllddddd.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Even the gods of Tetris have misdrops

Amemiya messes up a 4-wide setup when Mattyan is the only remaining player

https://twitter.com/inazuma0217tai1/status/1098838711666495488?s=19

Wumbotize misdrops an I piece and has to panic during the top 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYLfIV_M2s&t=440s

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm four games in a row of being targeted by several players from the start of the match. This is getting ooollllddddd.

Nothing's more demoralizing than getting targeted by somebody's opening FC in the first fifteen seconds or so.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Wildtortilla posted:

Switch to attackers and just start spamming single line clear combos it'll jam their queues thanks the attackers force multiplier.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Attackers is the way.

Two first place finishes today! Game continues to own.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Reading this topic I was thinking "This might be what finally makes me try out Nintendo Online, a $15/month service" only to find out it's $4/month or $20 for an entire goddamn year

see you losers online

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Riatsala posted:

Reading this topic I was thinking "This might be what finally makes me try out Nintendo Online, a $15/month service" only to find out it's $4/month or $20 for an entire goddamn year

see you losers online

Yeah, it's nuts how cheap it is, but then again, I'm not huge into online gaming, aside from once in a while with my friends.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
It’s worth $20 a year to just not worry about whether a given feature is Nintendo Online or not

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean, if you get a couple hours of fun out of T99 and the NES games, a 20 spot for and entire year isn’t asking much.

The goon reaction to the pricing was hilarious.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean, if you get a couple hours of fun out of T99 and the NES games, a 20 spot for and entire year isn’t asking much.

The goon reaction to the pricing was hilarious.

Tetris 99 is the first Nintendo Online feature worth paying for.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Finally got another win and KOed 24 people on the way :feelsgood:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I have been training my whole life for this game :getin:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Elman posted:

Tetris 99 is the first Nintendo Online feature worth paying for.

Online NES games are cool too but, yeah, this is the first killer app. I love this game.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I need a game mode that gives me 12 lines of garbage every time I spin a piece left three times instead of once right. Bet I’d learn real quick.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I hate watching other people play this game online, I had been under some sort of illusion that I was reasonably good at this game, I got a bunch of 2nd place finished then I started watching this on Twitch. Honestly, I have no idea how they can react fast enough to set up t spins and all the other crazy shenanigans towards the end of the matches when the game is moving so quick.

Oh well, I got my first victory tonight and It still felt great. This game is honestly virtual crack.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I did the tape mod on my pro controller which worked well for Puyo Tetris in the office, but misdrops are 100% what keeps screwing me over in top ten. Is there a better fix for that yet, or is there a different controller that's preferred for high-level Tetris? The joycons with separated buttons is obviously ideal for avoiding accidental hard drops, but the reason I bought a pro controller in the first place was because the face button placement on the right side was giving me tendonitis when playing Puyo Tetris. :(

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The 8bitdo SNES type controllers seem the go to. Some people complain about the dpad clicking but mine quickly stopped doing that before tetris dropped and certainly isn't now.

Still hard drop but it's nearly always me going too fast.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the thing about the joycons is you dont have ot hold them in any specific way beacuse you can just take them off the thing.

WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*
I was watching KevinDDR's stream yesterday and he just started using a DualShock 4 with the Mayflash Magic-NS adapter, says there is no appreciable lag. Seems like a good solution and it is pretty cheap if you have a DS4 on hand already.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I did the tape mod on my pro controller which worked well for Puyo Tetris in the office, but misdrops are 100% what keeps screwing me over in top ten. Is there a better fix for that yet, or is there a different controller that's preferred for high-level Tetris? The joycons with separated buttons is obviously ideal for avoiding accidental hard drops, but the reason I bought a pro controller in the first place was because the face button placement on the right side was giving me tendonitis when playing Puyo Tetris. :(

You’d probably be better of playing with separated joycons with the right one positioned in more of a way to not cause you pain. I’ve seen some players play Tetris 99 with the right joycon in the left hand and the left joycon in the right hand. Maybe try that as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you play handheld get the hori dpad joycon

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does level mean anything in this game? My first two hours with the game were fun, but I continue to be targeted from the word go. In more than 75% of my games this weekend things are fine then suddenly I have 8+ lines of garbage incoming.

Edit: five games in a row of being among the first five players to be blasted into oblivion. I think I've spent more time waiting for matches to start. :(

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 24, 2019

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Does level mean anything in this game? My first two hours with the game were fun, but I continue to be targeted from the word go. In more than 75% of my games this weekend things are fine then suddenly I have 8+ lines of garbage incoming.

It's just a measure of how many times someone's played for twelve hours straight at this point.

People think that if you're doing really well then the "random" targeting is weighted more heavily to aim people at you but I don't think anyone's conclusively proven it one way or another.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

EightFlyingCars posted:

It's just a measure of how many times someone's played for twelve hours straight at this point.

People think that if you're doing really well then the "random" targeting is weighted more heavily to aim people at you but I don't think anyone's conclusively proven it one way or another.

I think I figured it the targeting system: it makes me everyone's target!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I think I figured it the targeting system: it makes me everyone's target!

Don't worry, we've all been there https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1096087908757499905

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Nothing feels better than getting an orange ricky at just the right moment

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1099748313862234114

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

The 8bitdo SNES type controllers seem the go to.

Can I use one but still target people with the joycon stick? I own the non-pro 8bitdo (with no joysticks) so targetting is a problem.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Elman posted:

Can I use one but still target people with the joycon stick? I own the non-pro 8bitdo (with no joysticks) so targetting is a problem.

Yeah I have the one with the sticks, no sticks no targeting at this time I'm afraid. I'm expecting/hoping a button mapping function in the next patch because there's enough spare shoulder and face buttons for the 4 main targeting modes which will make all the fighter sticks totally viable. I happen to have the 8bitdo one cause the GF prefers that anytime she can use it so I'm kinda banking on it. Meanwhile the SN30 is getting the job done

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Switched to split joycons, which traded my hard drop problem for an even more aggravating dropped inputs problem. Left joycon seems fine, but I keep pressing buttons and wtf why aren't my pieces rotating or swapping. It's also causing the targeting to go nuts because sometimes it thinking I'm tapping one direction over and over.

Hopefully nothing's physically broken, but I'm not having any issues with all of my other wireless controllers.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Apparently there is an upcoming tournament where the top 999 winners get $10 in gold coins

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
More details

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1103294164253339648

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I wonder what event they'll run on Sep 9th.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The same tournament, but the top 1999 players get gold coins

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

totalnewbie posted:

I wonder what event they'll run on Sep 9th.

Since that's the anniversary of the Dreamcast, maybe a crossover with some Sega property?

Props Department
Jul 10, 2007

creamed corn & confucius
Maybe I'm just playing worse, but since the new update came out it's felt less common to get badges without specifically targeting them. I've always played with auto-targeting on Attackers 99% of the time since it feels like the best way to avoid tons of random junk. And if I made it into the top 10, I would usually KO enough badge-holders along the way to be set up well for the final stretch. But now it seems like that's happening less and less often, and I'm entering the top 10 badgeless or with only a half of one at best.

Has anyone else noticed this change in the last few days? Are there more advanced targeting strategies I should start practicing more?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Props Department posted:

Maybe I'm just playing worse, but since the new update came out it's felt less common to get badges without specifically targeting them. I've always played with auto-targeting on Attackers 99% of the time since it feels like the best way to avoid tons of random junk. And if I made it into the top 10, I would usually KO enough badge-holders along the way to be set up well for the final stretch. But now it seems like that's happening less and less often, and I'm entering the top 10 badgeless or with only a half of one at best.

Has anyone else noticed this change in the last few days? Are there more advanced targeting strategies I should start practicing more?

Actually, as of last night, I've kind of decided to only target attackers or badges (I used to exclusively target KO, but that felt scrubbish and not 'sportsmanlike', to quote Fezzik). I noticed that, yeah, it would sometimes take me longer to get badges and extra garbage output, but I chalked that up to not targeting people who were about to lose.

Besides, targeting attackers is like learning martial arts only for self-defense. It is the true lawful-good way. :clint:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Godspin is so cool to watch, even though it is only useful for showing off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarzeMG11dY

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah I agree the game seems to be changing...I'm finding myself getting multiple attackers a lot more often now, especially when my stack is getting towards the top of the screen. I assume it is from more people bothering to select the KO option.

I tend to select KO at the beginning, then switch to Badges some time after the 50 player warning comes up. I select Attackers when more than one is targeting me, then usually forget to change back after I weather the storm.

Speaking of forgetting...anyone else glance at the upcoming pieces indicator, see a 4-long piece coming after like 2 or 3 pieces, and your goldfish memory immediately...immediately forgets its 3rd in line and your hands automatically maneuver the next piece, which is actually a Z shape, into the gap you've set up and whoops, your Tetris is ruined??

Oh. Uh...me neither...

I got my first all clear last night :toot:. Went on to lose the match but the screenshot of my all clear: 1 stat afterward will live on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This game makes me want to see a Tetris anime.

"Tetro is stacking the blocks like he's never played Tetris before! He hasn't cleared a single line!!"

*stack piles up, more and more players target the main character*

"He's going to be KOed! All 98 players have targeted him, he'll be destroyed any second!!"

*main character smirks, switches to Attackers*