Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
My T99 story: I won the very first match I played on release day. I just got my second win exactly 200 matches later. I'm on my way to being a pro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I have yet to win a game. I got enough skill to get in the top 25 most of the time, with top 10 being a very good chance. I just need to sharpen my skill and hope for good luck.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Did any of you win the eshop credit? I’m curious what the lower threshold was.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZCy_vpaYJM

So a new strategy has appeared where high-level players can take advantage of the KO auto targeting option other players use and the attackers setting to slaughter almost up to half the players in a round.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pharohman777 posted:

So a new strategy has appeared where high-level players can take advantage of the KO auto targeting option other players use and the attackers setting to slaughter almost up to half the players in a round.

This is almost always how I play, and my best is 25 KOs without sniping. It's a fun strat!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Pharohman777 posted:

OK that would explain how I've murdered people who dumped large numbers of badges on me lately. So I'd say there is a downside to this if you get someone who can combo you back hard enough when your dozen lines show up to reversal of fortune on you.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pharohman777 posted:

I wonder if he’s using a pro controller with a modded dpad.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SeANMcBAY posted:

Did any of you win the eshop credit? I’m curious what the lower threshold was.

The winners will be announced on or about March 24.

I had 9 wins, I hope that is enough.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Only thing that bugs me in this game is how the square in the loading animation just blinks four times without moving. Every other piece moves or rotates. Stupid lazy square.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I didn’t win any gold coins. I saw someone say they had 17 wins and won coins

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I did it... got first place just today after 2-3 days of being more top ten than not.

I can finally rest.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I won a game of Tetris 99 for the first time last night, and I was wondering if the thread could put that into context for me; I had zero expectations of ever getting higher than fourth, my only qualitative measurement of personal skill being able to hit level 10 in the NES and gameboy versions years ago (and promptly dying).

After watching Wumbotize and that kid that hit level 33 on the NES version, I figured any goon that could get first must be hardcore good.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Once you're in the near instant speed even the pros falter and splat from the smallest mistake at times. Being consistent is what matters at that point so if you can hang in you can always win.

I wish the game had my 2nd places as I feel I've had as many of those as wins.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 29, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, I had a really fortuitous series of drops at the end; I was able to place the last 10-15 with no problems.
I guess I just wanted to know if I'm actually decent at Tetris.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
See I figure if I die to a Big Name Streamer then the next round I play is guaranteed to not have that guy in it. The faster and more often I die the better my chances get. This is definitely how statistics works.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
Something clicked with me recently and I started winning a lot more than I used to. I had 7 wins at roughly 250 games, now I have 21 wins at 350 games and they no longer feel like the rare flukes they used to. I've been trying to up my game by learning how to set up t-spins and its pretty tough. My instincts on how the pieces fit together and what combination of shapes work goes out the window. I don't see what possibilities there are for set ups or know what pieces to wait for like I do when playing normally. I'm slowly getting better by trying to 'grind' out t-spins but so far it probably makes my game worse as I play a lot slower that way.

Mister Facetious posted:

I won a game of Tetris 99 for the first time last night, and I was wondering if the thread could put that into context for me; I had zero expectations of ever getting higher than fourth, my only qualitative measurement of personal skill being able to hit level 10 in the NES and gameboy versions years ago (and promptly dying).

After watching Wumbotize and that kid that hit level 33 on the NES version, I figured any goon that could get first must be hardcore good.

The poo poo Wumbotize pulls off makes my head spin. There is an enormous gulf in skill in being able to win occasionally and that guy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Schlub Husband posted:

Something clicked with me

It's called "practice" :D

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The even crazier part is the person on the other end was just as good. They held each other at bay for a long time.

It always becomes such a loving intense knife fight when you get down to 1v1. This guy I don't think I'd be able to hang with though, I've never even considered the idea of placing pieces hosed up so you can set up a T-spin, especially at that speed.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Edit: Wrong thread.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
meant to post this the other week...

I love using this opening strategy, even if it doesn't work all the time to get KOs

https://twitter.com/BoomMike/status/1108934675009925122

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Astro7x posted:

meant to post this the other week...

I love using this opening strategy, even if it doesn't work all the time to get KOs

https://twitter.com/BoomMike/status/1108934675009925122

Wow, I'm definitely going to do this.

Also, the 1.2 update came out, and they added a new win screen (hahaha, like I'd see it), a backend system to assign points based on rank for events, and a sensitivity option for hard dropping, apparently to deal with the issues of the pro controller's crap dpad.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
A 3-wide is much more efficient if you learn how to do it.

Best is a center 4-wide but that's pretty difficult to do because you have to stack each side perfectly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

sensitivity option for hard dropping, apparently to deal with the issues of the pro controller's crap dpad.

That’s cool and I can’t wait to try it. I was playing joycons in grip, just for this game, because of the dpad issues.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s cool and I can’t wait to try it. I was playing joycons in grip, just for this game, because of the dpad issues.

That reminds me; am I the only one who, for the most part, is fine with the joycons in the joycon holder? Granted, I don't have any other controllers available to me yet, probably going to pick up an 8bitdo SNES30 Pro when the one with the grips is released, but for now, it's just two joycons, and I actually find it fairly comfortable for mostly everything to play with the joycons in the holder/shell.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That reminds me; am I the only one who, for the most part, is fine with the joycons in the joycon holder? Granted, I don't have any other controllers available to me yet, probably going to pick up an 8bitdo SNES30 Pro when the one with the grips is released, but for now, it's just two joycons, and I actually find it fairly comfortable for mostly everything to play with the joycons in the holder/shell.

It’s fine for me and was my primary way of playing docked until just like a month ago. I only got a pro because it was heavily discounted and I could also use it as a pc controller.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The Puyo Puyo Tetris demo has been preparing me for this game. I'm currently averaging around 1 win every 20 games, but I have no idea if that's good or bad. I just throw it into the "Attackers" mode and get as many tetrises as I can, since T-spins mystify me.

It's super fun when you get like 8 people targeting you and you go ham and knock half of them out.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1115421589112119296

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Points per match

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nice to know that not getting first counts. I’m gonna play a lot this time and hopefully win.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Does the EU version of it follow the same rules or is it a lottery again?

I'm up for playing a bit and earn a chance to win something but if it's a competition I'm out. I'm sure there'll be more than 999 poopsockers playing nonstop for 3 days.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Elman posted:

Does the EU version of it follow the same rules or is it a lottery again?

I'm up for playing a bit and earn a chance to win something but if it's a competition I'm out. I'm sure there'll be more than 999 poopsockers playing nonstop for 3 days.
It's still a lottery, but your chances increase the better you do and the more you play.

Every 100 points gets an entry in the prize draw.

A game's point distribution:

1st place: 100 points
2nd place: 50 points
3rd place: 30 points
4th-10th: 20 points
11th-30th: 10 points
31st-50th: 5 points
51st-80th: 2 points

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1115530114719191040

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The new low sensitivity hard drop option is nice but the pro controller dpad is still pretty inadequate for faster gameplay.

Is there any reason to ever target badges? My typical strategy is to keep it on KOs and switch to attacker when I’m being targeted by more than 2 players at once.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Knocking out the badge leader nets you all their badges which ups your multiplier which is always an advantage. Course then you will likely find yourself targeted for the same reasons.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there any reason to ever target badges? My typical strategy is to keep it on KOs and switch to attacker when I’m being targeted by more than 2 players at once.

If you ever find yourself with the badge lead you can completely smother the entire competition by targeting the players with the next-most badges and taking out potential threats to your position. I've won a bunch of games this way.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I usually do quick switches. KOs, attackers if you find a lot of people targeting you. I'll take the time look and target specific people as well.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I usually start out with KOs, then switch to Attackers when I get targeted by a few people, and then just leave it there. If it gets down to the final 30 or so, and I'm still at 0% or 25% bonus, I'll switch to Badges out of desperation, because it's basically impossible to win without at least 75% line bonus and random individual kills at that point might not get you there.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

PSA: Get 100 points in the tournament that is running right now to unlock the gameboy theme, complete with gameboy music and effects. It's pretty great!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I did it
https://twitter.com/MercuryCrusader/status/1129594264147546114

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Took my second first place win tonight and earned the theme in one match. I love it and will be using it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Took me way too many matched but I got my 100 points, only got up to a 3rd place finish over all those. Been getting sloppy and not practicing.