Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand... the T-block is 3 tall, but technically two-wide; how the hell do you fit it in somewhere to clear 3 lines at once? The L piece I understand, since the one block that juts out would be at the top, so you wouldn't have to put it down further, but the T-block? How do you get that one bit from the T past what would be the top line you'd be clearing?

I'm :psyduck:-ing over here, trying to picture that.

This is precisely why I dislike t-spins as a mechanic. I can't even get the drat tall piece to fit over a high lip sometimes and the game allows this kind of thing. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

NofrikinfuN posted:

This is precisely why I dislike t-spins as a mechanic. I can't even get the drat tall piece to fit over a high lip sometimes and the game allows this kind of thing. :argh:

Yeah, I just watched that video, and I'll be damned if I can keep track of which button flips my pieces which direction.

This is also likely why I'll never make it to Invictus, but oh well, having fun with my big screen, HD Gameboy Tetris game anyway! :toot:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Yeah, I just watched that video, and I'll be damned if I can keep track of which button flips my pieces which direction.

This is also likely why I'll never make it to Invictus, but oh well, having fun with my big screen, HD Gameboy Tetris game anyway! :toot:

I don't win 50% like Schlub, but I win about 5-6% without t-spins. I focus on KO's early and build tetris clears as often as possible then, the moment there are 10 players left, I flip to badges and dump everything I can. That's been my most effective strategy.

The rate your garbage meter turns into garbage speeds up at the 50 and 10 player marks, so changing targets right at that moment and hitting hard can catch people off guard. With a little luck, you wipe out the guy that has been making all the KO's and now you have an advantage over the remaining players.

It's not the best strategy by a mile, but it's simple enough that I can actually do it.

e: Also I don't know how to keep track of rotation so I literally only rotate in one direction.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Honestly, almost all the t-spin triples I've ever done in any Tetris game ever are from doing DT cannon openers, so don't worry tooooo much about them. Being able to work t-spin doubles in on the fly is way more important

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

e: Also I don't know how to keep track of rotation so I literally only rotate in one direction.

It's clockwise and counter-clockwise, so just imagine you're turning the piece like a steering wheel

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

EightFlyingCars posted:

It's clockwise and counter-clockwise, so just imagine you're turning the piece like a steering wheel

lol i suppose i deserve that

i know how the pieces are being rotated, but when i am trying to get a piece flipped to a specific orientation, it is easier for me to process as "1-4 clockwise spins" than "1-2 clockwise OR 1-2 counter-clockwise spins", if that makes sense?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

lol i suppose i deserve that

i know how the pieces are being rotated, but when i am trying to get a piece flipped to a specific orientation, it is easier for me to process as "1-4 clockwise spins" than "1-2 clockwise OR 1-2 counter-clockwise spins", if that makes sense?

Yeah I think I follow

For me it's just muscle memory, but I guess that happens if you've been playing Tetris since you were in kindergarten

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Jstris Cup going on right now on harddrop. Look and weep.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's terrifying seeing people place 3 pieces per second and still manage to pull off T-spin double and triple setups.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
https://twitter.com/Rideris0509/status/1220019946224148482?s=19

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Tetris's 11th Maximus Cup coming up the 30th through the 3rd. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's going to be a new theme coming with it but it sure is a reason to boot up ol' Tetris 99

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2020/go-for-glory-in-the-tetris-99-11th-maximus-cup-lunar-new-year-challenge/

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I originally did the tape mod on my pro controller where you cover half the contact points with tape, and it must have worn down because I started having weird double-tap issues. The paper painter's tape I used became impregnated with a black powder from the conductive material on the button membrane is made out of. I redid it with the easier alternative method where you just put a spot of electrical tape in the center between all the contact points, which raises the d-pad pivot point and accomplishes the same effect. It could just be a coincidence but I've been winning much more frequently compared to before. It definitely feels like I'm having less misdrops or accidentally hard-dropping two pieces in a row in the endgame.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

GUYS I GOT NUMBER ONE

I DID IT

I FINALLY DID IT

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
Congrats :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Nice! Feels good.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I followed it up with a first on jstris too!

Sure, the better players logged on later but it still counts aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Xenoblade Chronicles event is happening next weekend, which should have a music selection that rivals the Three Houses theme in making sure I'm Really Feeling It.

After bumbling into getting two all-clears in a game I've been actively trying to get the badge for doing three in one match and it's improved my game an insane amount. Instead of focusing on building wells for combos and t-spins, I'm just obsessively trying to keep the field right at the bottom while looking for all-clear opportunities. I've gotten close to getting three a couple times but just didn't have the right piece at the right time, however my clearing speed has improved to the point where I'm getting first place in two-thirds of my games by just slamming down as many singles as possible. I think it's helping with getting KOs in the early game which puts me in a better position to win at the end.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I missed one of the events, are they ever going to have a time where you can get the skins you missed?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

WilliamAnderson posted:

I missed one of the events, are they ever going to have a time where you can get the skins you missed?

You should be able to purchase themes from events you missed in the themes menu for 30 tickets each.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I happened to boot this up again the last couple days and I have the 2 skins I earned ages ago and all the rest up for tickets. The daily missions are pretty easy from what I saw., and I'm mediocre as hell.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Coxswain Balls posted:

You should be able to purchase themes from events you missed in the themes menu for 30 tickets each.

Cool, I should grind some tetris.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I just checked, I missed the Ring Fit theme and I don't see it in my themes menu to buy at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

robot roll call posted:

I just checked, I missed the Ring Fit theme and I don't see it in my themes menu to buy at all.

They’ll probably rerelease the new event themes in waves. It took almost a year before they started offering some of the older event themes for tickets.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’ll probably rerelease the new event themes in waves. It took almost a year before they started offering some of the older event themes for tickets.

Yeah, I'd missed out on the GB theme but eventually saved up enough points to unlock it, and holy poo poo, I love it.

The AC theme I was able to snag when it was first available, and that one's good too.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The AC one has finally replaced the Three Houses theme for me since the music and art is good and it keeps my win rate up. I've never even played Animal Crossing so when I was over at my friend's place and they were giving me a tour of their island it felt strange hearing all of these Tetris sound effects in the background.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Music in the Xenoblade theme is lit, especially in top 10. Sound effects for KOs and sending damage is a bit too quiet for my liking though so it's a bit hard to tell how many dudes I'm wrecking if I'm focused on clearing lines.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

Music in the Xenoblade theme is lit, especially in top 10. Sound effects for KOs and sending damage is a bit too quiet for my liking though so it's a bit hard to tell how many dudes I'm wrecking if I'm focused on clearing lines.
Yeah, I thought I was just playing casually, when suddenly like nine people targeted me, and I finally looked at my kill count, and I had 14 KOs. I must have become badge leader.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What I really like is the sound effect for slamming pieces down, it's so meaty and satisfying. I think it might be my new main theme, because my win rate right now is insane. I thought it was because there might be more lower ranked people playing right now for the theme, but that doesn't seem to be the case when I look at the scoreboard and how long the games are taking. If anything games are longer, going by the number of lines I'm clearing; it's rare that I hit 300 in a single game but it's happened a couple of times already.

Is it just me or do the pieces start to get blurry sometimes with this theme when you've got a long combo going? I hope I'm not Tetrising so hard that I'm about to stroke out, but I just get so jacked up when it's Reyn Time.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The stacking sounds are very satisfying. I'll probably stick with my usual Kirby theme, though. I've never played Xenoblade, so this one doesn't really resonate with me in any way.

I've won three out of about fifteen games during this event, which is better than my usual win rate. But I'm making top ten less often than usual when I don't win. It feels like I'm getting ganged up on a lot when there are 40 or 50 left.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh fuckin' hell yeah, just got the all-clear badge by going ham and managing to get not three, but four in one game.

Last year I figured that there were going to be some badges I was just never going to get, like the three wins in a row, ten Invictus wins, or the all-clear ones. Now the only badge left out of those "impossible" ones is the 15-combo, and I think that's just a matter of finally getting around to learning how to do 4-wides. I just need to buy the full version and I think I have a shot at actually getting all the badges now (except for the team ones, since I'm not going to enjoy myself in that mode until it allows you to use alternate themes).

Unlike achievement systems in most other games this one really feels like it actually tracks your skill progression as you slowly get better. Chasing the more difficult ones rewards you not just with a checkbox in a list but with measurable improvements to your playing ability, which I really appreciate.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Origami King event is up. The paper goomba is cute but I'm not feeling the music or the sound effects. After getting used to how beefy the effects are with the XBC theme, it feels like I'm just hard dropping a cardboard box (which is thematically appropriate, but still).

None of the music gives me a sense of panic which is certainly affecting my playing ability.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Remember to jump in and play to grab the 3 themes over the next week or so if you missed them the first time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Xik posted:

Remember to jump in and play to grab the 3 themes over the next week or so if you missed them the first time.

3 themes?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh poo poo, thanks! My kids love Luigi's Mansion 3, so I'll definitely be aiming for that theme.

I just realized I missed the PM one from a little while ago. Was it good?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I logged back in, found the Animal Crossing theme so relaxing that I didn't stress about the game and immediately won. What a world of difference from Flight of the Bumblebee!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oh poo poo, thanks! My kids love Luigi's Mansion 3, so I'll definitely be aiming for that theme.

I just realized I missed the PM one from a little while ago. Was it good?

Yes, very. Highly recommend to get that one again whenever you get another chance.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Artelier posted:

I logged back in, found the Animal Crossing theme so relaxing that I didn't stress about the game and immediately won.

The AC theme is super cute :3:

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
How do you know if you're good at this game?

Are there leaderboards I'm unaware of?

I think I'd just like to know what percentile of player I am, i.e. top 30th percentile, top 20th, etc. (Not sure if that makes sense...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

In the stats screen you can see your performance for the past ten games if you press the X button, which shows your place and number of KOs. You can just divide your wins by total games to get a complete win percentage, but the ten-game trend is a better way to track your improvement. There's no leaderboards other than the leveling system where you get more points for wins, but I think that's by design to not discourage people from playing if they feel they're not good enough.