Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
oof, I suck. 4190 games played, 222 wins, reg 99. Invictus: 766 games played, 38 wins. :(

I've played... 500 hrs... Jesus

drat, you've placed first in 7 of your last 10 games... That's pretty loving good

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My game really improved when I started chasing the badge for getting three all-clears in one game. In order to keep the field as low as possible for all-clear opportunities my play became hyper-aggressive, with my focus being on clearing the board as quickly as possible instead of setting up Tetris or T-Spin builds. Not only did this help my speed, it also greatly improved my ability to play at the top of the board in high-pressure situations with a less-than-optimal playing field and piece selection. Another thing is to try to get in the mindset where you find top-board play exciting instead of something that freaks you out. That's probably the other mental hurdle I jumped that led to me consistently winning at least 50% of the matches I play.

It might just be placebo but having a good theme that gets you pumped to destroy your opponents has helped me. I only started winning regularly when the Fire Emblem theme came out, and when the Xenoblade one was released my win rate got even higher to where it is in that screenshot. I want to play team battle more but the default theme sucks so bad and I feel like I'm playing slower because of it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a tutorial on how to go for all clears? Like the video that was posted in this thread about t-spins

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hard Drop has entries in their wiki for all-clear openers and general strategies, but I've personally never used any strategy to get them other than furiously keeping the board at the bottom and seeing potential opportunities as they come up. I see players much better than me take a few seconds to look at their opening set of pieces and plan an all-clear with that, but I'm not at the level of play where I can quickly and confidently do builds like that. It might just be a playstyle difference but I'd much rather opt for raw speed and let my instincts and reflexes figure it out, which is where it pays off to know the quirks of the rotation system and to get rid of bad habits like only rotating in one direction or only using the I piece vertically.

https://harddrop.com/wiki/Perfect_clear
https://harddrop.com/wiki/Perfect_Clear_Opener

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Got some all clears together quickly enough to clip it. Maybe this'll help people who are trying to get the hang of getting them by reflex. I just try to build as flat as possible, even if that means blocking gaps for later. There's also some stuff in my decision-making regarding piece width being an odd or even number but I don't know how to properly articulate it other than it works out in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ombd0P0H6No

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pokemon event is up for their DLC. It seems more or less the same as the first one so I just won my first match to unlock it and probably won't touch it again.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1405198656244912135?s=20

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
there is a Mega-Maximus Cup event right now, cycling through a different past theme each day... there's 3 that I missed in there, so I'm goin for it!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1554270763376590849?s=20&t=H-wTGxGlLXa5BJuomGBCdg

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh god I haven't played in over a year, has the playing field in general become more or less skilled?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Coxswain Balls posted:

Oh god I haven't played in over a year, has the playing field in general become more or less skilled?

I play nightly and while I can usually hold my own, I can barely make it to top ten.

Still haven't won :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Coxswain Balls posted:

This is your best chance to play with more average skilled people. More hardcore people play when there isn’t a theme event going on.