Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I forgot to play last night, and I'm not going to be able to play my Switch until Monday, so it looks like I'll be missing out :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I forgot to play last night, and I'm not going to be able to play my Switch until Monday, so it looks like I'll be missing out :negative:

That's a bummer. Hopefully, they offer up another chance at the themes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How hard is it for someone bad at tetris like myself to get 100 points?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

explosivo posted:

Just takes a bit more time.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

explosivo posted:

It'll be a grind but it should be doable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pokeyman posted:

Just takes a bit more time.

Cool, I was worried you only got points if you were top 10 or something like that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I got to 100 in like an hour maybe doing no better than a 7th, with how quick a match is the scoring system is more generous than it looks on paper.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Managed a 2nd, good enough. I was so not ready enough to battle that last person

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d win more often if I didn’t start to choke when in the top 10 and make stupid mistakes.:bang:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

At that speed everyone makes mistakes, it's how fast you can fix them before someone finishes you off.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The game boy top ten music is way more chill.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got 100 points in about a half hour today with my highest being 5th. Hadn’t played in a while, it’s drat fun

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just really want a Tetris skin that somehow has the TGM3 music. Because nothing says 'accelerating panic attack' quite like the Terror Instinct soundtrack. I mean I imagine it's basically impossible, but Akira developed both games so it's marginally... less impossible?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A Tetris DS theme would be pretty cool.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The next Maximus Cup will have a Splatoon theme:

https://twitter.com/nintendovs/status/1145678439313215493?s=21

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
The splatoon skin event just started. It's pretty neat.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

After getting punched repeatedly in the dick and also the balls during this event I now deeply and viscerally understand why my partner never plays video games with me

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Schlub Husband posted:

The splatoon skin event just started. It's pretty neat.

Great music and visuals on this one.

:woomy:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love Splatoon but don’t really care for this skin. I don’t think I’ll be using it as much as the Game Boy one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Great music and visuals on this one.

:woomy:

Yeah. Thank god they went with Splat 1's soundtrack instead of the godawful one from 2. That said, the Game Boy skin is definitely superior.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Araxxor posted:

Yeah. Thank god they went with Splat 1's soundtrack instead of the godawful one from 2. That said, the Game Boy skin is definitely superior.

this is TWO bad opinions

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I dig the music in both Splatoons! I also like both themes. Maybe I'm just easy to please?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I dig the music in both Splatoons! I also like both themes. Maybe I'm just easy to please?

Same. They both have mostly good music.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My problem with the Classic Tetris theme is that at higher speeds I see the block colours before I notice the shapes so I'm just bad with the monochrome theme.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

YggiDee posted:

My problem with the Classic Tetris theme is that at higher speeds I see the block colours before I notice the shapes so I'm just bad with the monochrome theme.

Me too, if I don't see the colours I slap down All The Wrong Blocks. Being able to peep the colours with your peripheral vision is just too useful to use the GB skin.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

YggiDee posted:

Yeah this. I can see myself using the new skin long after the event is over, whereas I've never chosen to reuse the classic skin because having to glance more directly at the coming pieces to know what you're getting feels like putting yourself at a disadvantage. Also it's just nice to have different music for once.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes when I start a new round one of the other players will be... sparkly? Does anyone kow what that is?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Sometimes when I start a new round one of the other players will be... sparkly? Does anyone kow what that is?

I wonder if that's why sometimes when I start a match I get targeted by like 6 people? Maybe it tracks to number of KO's in a previous match, or who had the highest finish in their last match?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Think it's just a random graphic

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

It's someone who has placed in the top ten on average within their past ten games.

EDIT: You can see your own average place of the last ten rounds on the main stats menu, then pressing X (or Y, I don't remember). It's kind of hidden.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 15, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Just won a game where my only KO was the guy in second place. :thurman:

Also his name was Jesus lol

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Invictus is hard and has the side effect of making normal easier to win. Also, the new daily challenges and cosmetics are pretty cool, be sure to check them out!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I forgot they made a legit pros only mode, I gotta get in on normal. And maybe take my beatings in Invictus

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Invictus is hard

Have you won yet?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

KingEup posted:

Have you won yet?

Best I've done in Invictus is 3rd. I'm mostly noting that I rarely get KO's, nobody falls for the bait strategy and the pieces move faster from the start.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

And then 20G flips on once you're in the top ten and aaaaag

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This is a great update. Adding missions and unlockables will keep me playing a lot more. Invictus is fun. I got second yesterday.:bang:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

No Scrubs mode is pretty fantastic, and all the extra content is great too. Almost makes me want to put the :10bux: down for the offline features.
Although I'm one ticket off from getting a new theme :argh:

One thing I've noticed is that since this update, when I play regular 99 mode I get loving dogpiled within the first 1-2 minutes, like I'll be tetrising along minding my goddamn business and then the sidebar is like FOOM HAVE 15 LINES AND THEY'RE ALL GLOWING RED INSTANTLY gently caress YOU

what is that about??

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It might be related to your placement? I know if you've been doing well in previous games you show up as a 'sparkly' opponent to other players. What I don't know is if other players are deliberately targeting sparklies or if they're more likely to be chosen by the 'random' option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

raditts posted:

No Scrubs mode is pretty fantastic, and all the extra content is great too. Almost makes me want to put the :10bux: down for the offline features.
Although I'm one ticket off from getting a new theme :argh:

One thing I've noticed is that since this update, when I play regular 99 mode I get loving dogpiled within the first 1-2 minutes, like I'll be tetrising along minding my goddamn business and then the sidebar is like FOOM HAVE 15 LINES AND THEY'RE ALL GLOWING RED INSTANTLY gently caress YOU

what is that about??

I had a similar experience and was the first out on one game where it took me completely by surprise when I was doing a huge buildup.

Also wtf on being one ticket short of a purchase on day one. It would have felt so much better to get one the first day, even if the next one took a few days.