Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
Something clicked with me recently and I started winning a lot more than I used to. I had 7 wins at roughly 250 games, now I have 21 wins at 350 games and they no longer feel like the rare flukes they used to. I've been trying to up my game by learning how to set up t-spins and its pretty tough. My instincts on how the pieces fit together and what combination of shapes work goes out the window. I don't see what possibilities there are for set ups or know what pieces to wait for like I do when playing normally. I'm slowly getting better by trying to 'grind' out t-spins but so far it probably makes my game worse as I play a lot slower that way.

Mister Facetious posted:

I won a game of Tetris 99 for the first time last night, and I was wondering if the thread could put that into context for me; I had zero expectations of ever getting higher than fourth, my only qualitative measurement of personal skill being able to hit level 10 in the NES and gameboy versions years ago (and promptly dying).

After watching Wumbotize and that kid that hit level 33 on the NES version, I figured any goon that could get first must be hardcore good.

The poo poo Wumbotize pulls off makes my head spin. There is an enormous gulf in skill in being able to win occasionally and that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
The splatoon skin event just started. It's pretty neat.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

YggiDee posted:

My problem with the Classic Tetris theme is that at higher speeds I see the block colours before I notice the shapes so I'm just bad with the monochrome theme.

Yeah this. I can see myself using the new skin long after the event is over, whereas I've never chosen to reuse the classic skin because having to glance more directly at the coming pieces to know what you're getting feels like putting yourself at a disadvantage. Also it's just nice to have different music for once.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
I've unlocked an icon for finishing in the top 10 in invictus 20 times. My average of the last 10 games is 9 so I sparkle in invictus mode now.

Still no freaking win :bang:

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
I just unlocked the toy blocks theme and I definitely recommend it. Simple enough design, not too busy, and the music is great

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I feel like my lazy tactic of setting target to KO and only occasionally switching to attackers when I’m being targeted a lot isn’t cutting it anymore.

Nah that's pro af optimal targeting right there. Lazy would be never changing it.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

Is it a good strat? I stopped doing it when I saw that good players were deliberately stacking high to reach near-KO status, so that they could drop a bomb by targeting a whole bunch of attackers at once.

Well in a sense that is using the strat. When being attacked a lot, target attackers. It just has the additional step of making yourself more likely to be attacked. Even a really good player who can pull that off won't do that the entire game, and when they play normally again they'll probably target KOs.

You really don't need any advanced strategies (e.g. baiting, 4-wides, t-spin triples) if your goal is just to win normal mode regularly. Invictus maybe. I don't win invictus regularly :v:

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Tempura Wizard posted:

Fire Emblem
Music - 7/10
Legibility - 7/10
I like the muted colors but strongly dislike the dead-eyed renders of the characters staring at me.

What? Fire Emblem? I missed a theme god drat :(

I hope they implement a random theme mode. I think it would be more fun to have your theme randomly chosen (from the one's you've unlocked) each game

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
I've played over a thousand games and have done exactly zero t-spin triples.
I win roughly half my games at this point though, so eh, I'm good with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
Congrats :)