Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Whoever decided that techno Flight of the Bumblebees needs to play when it's down to the top ten needs to be a) given a raise and b) fired immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I've won 15 times and I still feel like I'm trash at this video game

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks for the anxiety attack

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

tithin posted:

I see I see

And tell me, how does this replay make you feel

https://twitter.com/cobretty_/status/1097160549530402817?s=19

Inadequate

Seriously, watching people who are Good At Tetris is both incredibly inspiring and mortally terrifying

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Does level mean anything in this game? My first two hours with the game were fun, but I continue to be targeted from the word go. In more than 75% of my games this weekend things are fine then suddenly I have 8+ lines of garbage incoming.

It's just a measure of how many times someone's played for twelve hours straight at this point.

People think that if you're doing really well then the "random" targeting is weighted more heavily to aim people at you but I don't think anyone's conclusively proven it one way or another.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I think I figured it the targeting system: it makes me everyone's target!

Don't worry, we've all been there https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1096087908757499905

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there any reason to ever target badges? My typical strategy is to keep it on KOs and switch to attacker when I’m being targeted by more than 2 players at once.

If you ever find yourself with the badge lead you can completely smother the entire competition by targeting the players with the next-most badges and taking out potential threats to your position. I've won a bunch of games this way.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

After getting punched repeatedly in the dick and also the balls during this event I now deeply and viscerally understand why my partner never plays video games with me

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

YggiDee posted:

My problem with the Classic Tetris theme is that at higher speeds I see the block colours before I notice the shapes so I'm just bad with the monochrome theme.

Me too, if I don't see the colours I slap down All The Wrong Blocks. Being able to peep the colours with your peripheral vision is just too useful to use the GB skin.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

And then 20G flips on once you're in the top ten and aaaaag

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

YggiDee posted:

It might be related to your placement? I know if you've been doing well in previous games you show up as a 'sparkly' opponent to other players. What I don't know is if other players are deliberately targeting sparklies or if they're more likely to be chosen by the 'random' option.

If your average place over the last ten games is tenth place or above, that's when you get the sparkly intro. I think the game does prioritize you when other players are doing random targeting, but maybe that's bullshit too.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Also t-spins are fun, they feel like cheating

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Invictus mode is weirdly relaxing in that I have no expectations of ever winning it so who cares how I do

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Save your combo attacks for endgame though, if you target KOs in the beginning or midgame it's likely that all these lines will get sent to different players, and it probably won't do much.

But they're great once you hit top 10. And you can get even longer combos with three- or four-wide setups, but those take more forward planning to keep the combo up.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Also if you ever center 4-wide against me I'm calling the police

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Eeey I just won my first Invictus round

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Ritznit posted:

I love everything about the Galaxy theme except the absolutely terrible looking blocks that hurt my eyes for some reason. Really wish we could mix and match things.

Same, the music is really good but those blocks look kinda dumb

Anyway you guys had better get the Spooky Castle theme if you haven't already

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

You gotta use Spooky Castle this month though, it's the law or something

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

That t-spin video was very helpful. I’m actually doing set ups without thinking too hard about it now.:eyepop:

Good work!

Now work on your t-spin triples :getin:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah there's another streamer who has an entire league going with rankings and everything and the players it's attracted are terrifyingly good at Tetris

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

^^^ Nice work!

Team Battles are fun except for the part where everyone else is looking at how you're playing and judging you

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

raditts posted:

Is there a reason he occasionally sat on a block rotating it in place for a couple seconds? Is that like a way of memorizing your next pipeline in order to drop them at absurdly fast speeds?

Your garbage meter can top out, and if you get sent more garbage while it's full, it goes to waste. So stalling between line clears gives more time for the garbage to actually pile on the other players before you add more.

PS: I just got my 999 gold points :dance: so if any of you qualified you'll probably be getting emails from Nintendo soon! Good luck!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

raditts posted:

How many points did you get in the event? I think I got about 1600

edit: oh snap I got them too! So if you got at least 1600 points, you've got :10bux: in Nintendo funbux coming your way

Congrats, dude! Me, I only racked up like 1400, which I didn't even grind all that hard for. Easy money!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The cool thing about t-spin triple setups is that they're almost exactly the same as double t-spin double setups, just with one extra block in the middle of the well, so once you learn one of them you get the other for free

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Honestly, almost all the t-spin triples I've ever done in any Tetris game ever are from doing DT cannon openers, so don't worry tooooo much about them. Being able to work t-spin doubles in on the fly is way more important

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

e: Also I don't know how to keep track of rotation so I literally only rotate in one direction.

It's clockwise and counter-clockwise, so just imagine you're turning the piece like a steering wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

lol i suppose i deserve that

i know how the pieces are being rotated, but when i am trying to get a piece flipped to a specific orientation, it is easier for me to process as "1-4 clockwise spins" than "1-2 clockwise OR 1-2 counter-clockwise spins", if that makes sense?

Yeah I think I follow

For me it's just muscle memory, but I guess that happens if you've been playing Tetris since you were in kindergarten