Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The Puyo Puyo Tetris demo has been preparing me for this game. I'm currently averaging around 1 win every 20 games, but I have no idea if that's good or bad. I just throw it into the "Attackers" mode and get as many tetrises as I can, since T-spins mystify me.

It's super fun when you get like 8 people targeting you and you go ham and knock half of them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

PSA: Get 100 points in the tournament that is running right now to unlock the gameboy theme, complete with gameboy music and effects. It's pretty great!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I forgot to play last night, and I'm not going to be able to play my Switch until Monday, so it looks like I'll be missing out :negative:

That's a bummer. Hopefully, they offer up another chance at the themes.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The next Maximus Cup will have a Splatoon theme:

https://twitter.com/nintendovs/status/1145678439313215493?s=21

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Schlub Husband posted:

The splatoon skin event just started. It's pretty neat.

Great music and visuals on this one.

:woomy:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I dig the music in both Splatoons! I also like both themes. Maybe I'm just easy to please?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Sometimes when I start a new round one of the other players will be... sparkly? Does anyone kow what that is?

I wonder if that's why sometimes when I start a match I get targeted by like 6 people? Maybe it tracks to number of KO's in a previous match, or who had the highest finish in their last match?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Just won a game where my only KO was the guy in second place. :thurman:

Also his name was Jesus lol

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Invictus is hard and has the side effect of making normal easier to win. Also, the new daily challenges and cosmetics are pretty cool, be sure to check them out!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

KingEup posted:

Have you won yet?

Best I've done in Invictus is 3rd. I'm mostly noting that I rarely get KO's, nobody falls for the bait strategy and the pieces move faster from the start.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

raditts posted:

No Scrubs mode is pretty fantastic, and all the extra content is great too. Almost makes me want to put the :10bux: down for the offline features.
Although I'm one ticket off from getting a new theme :argh:

One thing I've noticed is that since this update, when I play regular 99 mode I get loving dogpiled within the first 1-2 minutes, like I'll be tetrising along minding my goddamn business and then the sidebar is like FOOM HAVE 15 LINES AND THEY'RE ALL GLOWING RED INSTANTLY gently caress YOU

what is that about??

I had a similar experience and was the first out on one game where it took me completely by surprise when I was doing a huge buildup.

Also wtf on being one ticket short of a purchase on day one. It would have felt so much better to get one the first day, even if the next one took a few days.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

T-spin or bust.

It bothers me more than it should that T-spins are worth more than tetrises. They are literally the namesake of the game! T-Spins were a bug that someone took a shining to. :argh:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

raditts posted:

If you're looking for a theme to spend tickets on, do not make it the Zelda one. Not unless you want some weird lovely rendition of the Zelda theme and some hot garbage sound effects that I have never heard anything remotely similar to in any Zelda game. I hope the other ones are better.

Same for the Mario theme. An in-game preview would have been nice. :sigh:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Tempura Wizard posted:

The Treasure Map theme is bad (at least when it comes to board legibility). Avoid. Learn from my mistakes. That said, three themes down, 8(?) to go!

I think the bold colors and clean lines make Splatoon the best theme. (Bonus points for best music.) Honestly, I found the Mario theme disappointing enough that it made me not care about grinding tickets.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Was in third place in an invictus match with zero garbage and got a communications error. :tizzy:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Won at Invictus! :toot:

Only took... 43 tries. :sweatdrop:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

So this happened

https://twitter.com/nofrikinfun/status/1200632869401415680?s=21

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Twist ending on that one.

I was super mad before the tetris maximus popped up. Then I was just sort of bewildered.

Too bad there isn't a special icon for a zero KO run.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

New update added teams mode and I'm not sure how I feel about it because I've been getting crushed all night. There also seems to be password games and you can buy special themes you missed for 30 tickets.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I believe it is any of them, but I was only missing the Kirby theme.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Everyone's throwing down in Team Battle right now, so this is probably the best time to go for an Invictus win. If you're willing to accept a mostly-bot game. Which I am.

I haven't seen an invictus game that was less than 50% bots since week 1.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SeXReX posted:

Every once in a while people who stream Tetris like blink from hard drop organize sessions to get as many people as possible playing invictus.

That is if you don't mind playing against actual grand masters

I rage out playing against random people so this would probably be bad for my self esteem.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I hate team battles.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

This kind of makes me want to quit. I can't comprehend the strategy just watching it, let alone trying to perform it.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SeXReX posted:

4wide owns and is a great demonstration of some of my qualms with the way vs works in guideline Tetris.

At least in this you don't have to go against it as a puyo player.

It's a great reminder for me that I only ever win because none of these guys were present.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

i haven't been playing as much but did everyone in regular 99 mode just level the gently caress up? I haven't gotten a single maximus in 2020.

I've had the opposite experience for the most part, but certain dates/times it seems like the absolute rawest players congregate and shut me out completely.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I don't understand... the T-block is 3 tall, but technically two-wide; how the hell do you fit it in somewhere to clear 3 lines at once? The L piece I understand, since the one block that juts out would be at the top, so you wouldn't have to put it down further, but the T-block? How do you get that one bit from the T past what would be the top line you'd be clearing?

I'm :psyduck:-ing over here, trying to picture that.

This is precisely why I dislike t-spins as a mechanic. I can't even get the drat tall piece to fit over a high lip sometimes and the game allows this kind of thing. :argh:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Yeah, I just watched that video, and I'll be damned if I can keep track of which button flips my pieces which direction.

This is also likely why I'll never make it to Invictus, but oh well, having fun with my big screen, HD Gameboy Tetris game anyway! :toot:

I don't win 50% like Schlub, but I win about 5-6% without t-spins. I focus on KO's early and build tetris clears as often as possible then, the moment there are 10 players left, I flip to badges and dump everything I can. That's been my most effective strategy.

The rate your garbage meter turns into garbage speeds up at the 50 and 10 player marks, so changing targets right at that moment and hitting hard can catch people off guard. With a little luck, you wipe out the guy that has been making all the KO's and now you have an advantage over the remaining players.

It's not the best strategy by a mile, but it's simple enough that I can actually do it.

e: Also I don't know how to keep track of rotation so I literally only rotate in one direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

EightFlyingCars posted:

It's clockwise and counter-clockwise, so just imagine you're turning the piece like a steering wheel

lol i suppose i deserve that

i know how the pieces are being rotated, but when i am trying to get a piece flipped to a specific orientation, it is easier for me to process as "1-4 clockwise spins" than "1-2 clockwise OR 1-2 counter-clockwise spins", if that makes sense?