Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I did the tape mod on my pro controller which worked well for Puyo Tetris in the office, but misdrops are 100% what keeps screwing me over in top ten. Is there a better fix for that yet, or is there a different controller that's preferred for high-level Tetris? The joycons with separated buttons is obviously ideal for avoiding accidental hard drops, but the reason I bought a pro controller in the first place was because the face button placement on the right side was giving me tendonitis when playing Puyo Tetris. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Switched to split joycons, which traded my hard drop problem for an even more aggravating dropped inputs problem. Left joycon seems fine, but I keep pressing buttons and wtf why aren't my pieces rotating or swapping. It's also causing the targeting to go nuts because sometimes it thinking I'm tapping one direction over and over.

Hopefully nothing's physically broken, but I'm not having any issues with all of my other wireless controllers.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What time of day are y'all typically playing Invictus? I want to play it more, but I'm so used to playing instantly that the wait is getting annoying, plus I don't want to be playing against CPUs.

Tempura Wizard posted:

Fire Emblem
Music - 7/10
Legibility - 7/10
I like the muted colors but strongly dislike the dead-eyed renders of the characters staring at me.

I use this theme for the music, especially right after finishing Three Houses when the top 10 boss theme comes on I get all "WAR FEEDS MY BODY AND MIND". My Maximus rate has started taking off since I started treating Tetris battles like a campaign to annihilate Edelgard's foes. I got 3 today, which never happens.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

raditts posted:

Spooky Castle is the second best theme behind Kirby but I just unlocked Fancy and it's a nice chill theme that doesn't make it feel like you're going to be executed if you lose the match.

I like the spooky theme but I literally cannot reach maximus without the Fire Emblem music. I'm trying to use it this month for spooky reasons but when I switched back today to test my theory I won twice.

Also, the stick thing is the beginning sign of stick drift, or at least it was in my experience.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

EightFlyingCars posted:

You gotta use Spooky Castle this month though, it's the law or something

Finally managed to get a win in the spooky castle.

Then I switched back to Fire Emblem and promptly got the badges for three wins in a row and winning with only two KOs, as well as getting my first Invictus wins. If they release a Doom theme with Mick Gordon's soundtrack I might become unstoppable.

RIP AND TEAR THOSE BLOCKS

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's great when you get a win you absolutely did not deserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWIN2KmgO7w

I haven't been able to play in a month since I messed up my wrist and it's driving me nuts. I just hopped on to get the last Maximus cup and the Pokemon theme, which probably made things worse. Still won, tho.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Remember the Amemiya vs. The World exhibition match at Evo a few years back that was 3v1? Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTE4zEKtxkA

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 14, 2019

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxUFDyOlUFM

Tafo verbalizes his thought process here and I feel it mirrors my experience. It's just getting to the point where you can do your builds on reflex and are able to not panic when you're dealt a less-optimal piece or you misdrop. I think the first "setup" we all instinctively get the hang of is the big well on one side that you cram an I-piece into, but when you're really good you react the same way to do more wacky poo poo like DT Cannons or Albatross setups.

I think the wiki on Hard Drop is where you want to go to learn about stuff like that, although I'm not yet at the point where I'm memorizing things like openers and perfect clear setups.

https://harddrop.com/wiki/Tetris_Wiki

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand... the T-block is 3 tall, but technically two-wide; how the hell do you fit it in somewhere to clear 3 lines at once? The L piece I understand, since the one block that juts out would be at the top, so you wouldn't have to put it down further, but the T-block? How do you get that one bit from the T past what would be the top line you'd be clearing?

I'm :psyduck:-ing over here, trying to picture that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRs9Lny_J7E

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I originally did the tape mod on my pro controller where you cover half the contact points with tape, and it must have worn down because I started having weird double-tap issues. The paper painter's tape I used became impregnated with a black powder from the conductive material on the button membrane is made out of. I redid it with the easier alternative method where you just put a spot of electrical tape in the center between all the contact points, which raises the d-pad pivot point and accomplishes the same effect. It could just be a coincidence but I've been winning much more frequently compared to before. It definitely feels like I'm having less misdrops or accidentally hard-dropping two pieces in a row in the endgame.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Xenoblade Chronicles event is happening next weekend, which should have a music selection that rivals the Three Houses theme in making sure I'm Really Feeling It.

After bumbling into getting two all-clears in a game I've been actively trying to get the badge for doing three in one match and it's improved my game an insane amount. Instead of focusing on building wells for combos and t-spins, I'm just obsessively trying to keep the field right at the bottom while looking for all-clear opportunities. I've gotten close to getting three a couple times but just didn't have the right piece at the right time, however my clearing speed has improved to the point where I'm getting first place in two-thirds of my games by just slamming down as many singles as possible. I think it's helping with getting KOs in the early game which puts me in a better position to win at the end.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

WilliamAnderson posted:

I missed one of the events, are they ever going to have a time where you can get the skins you missed?

You should be able to purchase themes from events you missed in the themes menu for 30 tickets each.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The AC one has finally replaced the Three Houses theme for me since the music and art is good and it keeps my win rate up. I've never even played Animal Crossing so when I was over at my friend's place and they were giving me a tour of their island it felt strange hearing all of these Tetris sound effects in the background.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Music in the Xenoblade theme is lit, especially in top 10. Sound effects for KOs and sending damage is a bit too quiet for my liking though so it's a bit hard to tell how many dudes I'm wrecking if I'm focused on clearing lines.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What I really like is the sound effect for slamming pieces down, it's so meaty and satisfying. I think it might be my new main theme, because my win rate right now is insane. I thought it was because there might be more lower ranked people playing right now for the theme, but that doesn't seem to be the case when I look at the scoreboard and how long the games are taking. If anything games are longer, going by the number of lines I'm clearing; it's rare that I hit 300 in a single game but it's happened a couple of times already.

Is it just me or do the pieces start to get blurry sometimes with this theme when you've got a long combo going? I hope I'm not Tetrising so hard that I'm about to stroke out, but I just get so jacked up when it's Reyn Time.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh fuckin' hell yeah, just got the all-clear badge by going ham and managing to get not three, but four in one game.

Last year I figured that there were going to be some badges I was just never going to get, like the three wins in a row, ten Invictus wins, or the all-clear ones. Now the only badge left out of those "impossible" ones is the 15-combo, and I think that's just a matter of finally getting around to learning how to do 4-wides. I just need to buy the full version and I think I have a shot at actually getting all the badges now (except for the team ones, since I'm not going to enjoy myself in that mode until it allows you to use alternate themes).

Unlike achievement systems in most other games this one really feels like it actually tracks your skill progression as you slowly get better. Chasing the more difficult ones rewards you not just with a checkbox in a list but with measurable improvements to your playing ability, which I really appreciate.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Origami King event is up. The paper goomba is cute but I'm not feeling the music or the sound effects. After getting used to how beefy the effects are with the XBC theme, it feels like I'm just hard dropping a cardboard box (which is thematically appropriate, but still).

None of the music gives me a sense of panic which is certainly affecting my playing ability.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

In the stats screen you can see your performance for the past ten games if you press the X button, which shows your place and number of KOs. You can just divide your wins by total games to get a complete win percentage, but the ten-game trend is a better way to track your improvement. There's no leaderboards other than the leveling system where you get more points for wins, but I think that's by design to not discourage people from playing if they feel they're not good enough.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My game really improved when I started chasing the badge for getting three all-clears in one game. In order to keep the field as low as possible for all-clear opportunities my play became hyper-aggressive, with my focus being on clearing the board as quickly as possible instead of setting up Tetris or T-Spin builds. Not only did this help my speed, it also greatly improved my ability to play at the top of the board in high-pressure situations with a less-than-optimal playing field and piece selection. Another thing is to try to get in the mindset where you find top-board play exciting instead of something that freaks you out. That's probably the other mental hurdle I jumped that led to me consistently winning at least 50% of the matches I play.

It might just be placebo but having a good theme that gets you pumped to destroy your opponents has helped me. I only started winning regularly when the Fire Emblem theme came out, and when the Xenoblade one was released my win rate got even higher to where it is in that screenshot. I want to play team battle more but the default theme sucks so bad and I feel like I'm playing slower because of it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hard Drop has entries in their wiki for all-clear openers and general strategies, but I've personally never used any strategy to get them other than furiously keeping the board at the bottom and seeing potential opportunities as they come up. I see players much better than me take a few seconds to look at their opening set of pieces and plan an all-clear with that, but I'm not at the level of play where I can quickly and confidently do builds like that. It might just be a playstyle difference but I'd much rather opt for raw speed and let my instincts and reflexes figure it out, which is where it pays off to know the quirks of the rotation system and to get rid of bad habits like only rotating in one direction or only using the I piece vertically.

https://harddrop.com/wiki/Perfect_clear
https://harddrop.com/wiki/Perfect_Clear_Opener

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Got some all clears together quickly enough to clip it. Maybe this'll help people who are trying to get the hang of getting them by reflex. I just try to build as flat as possible, even if that means blocking gaps for later. There's also some stuff in my decision-making regarding piece width being an odd or even number but I don't know how to properly articulate it other than it works out in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ombd0P0H6No

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pokemon event is up for their DLC. It seems more or less the same as the first one so I just won my first match to unlock it and probably won't touch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh god I haven't played in over a year, has the playing field in general become more or less skilled?