Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

I've been playing in a Heart game for a few months, and its rapidly become my favorite game. The weird nature of the classes and setting flow perfectly in the rules, I'm just sad its not more popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

So as someone who just got into Spire thanks to the amazing bundle of holding deal, I have some questions for folks who are more experienced with the system: Does the base "add all stress when checking for fallout" make characters as incredibly fragile as it seems?
Also how have you handled stress tracking? I'm not a fan of the suggested "The GM knows, and doesn't tell players their scores but instead uses flavor descriptions"
I think I'd lean towards having my players track their stress and when I hand out more asking where it puts them, then rolling for fallout.
I also lean towards having the different stresses count as different tracks -per the alternate rules for more heroic play. Ideally I'm looking for a feel where the characters are a tad less resilient than say a blades in the dark PC, but the trade off is costs to people around them.
I don't want to be the guy who immediately houserules or modifies a system before playing it, but I also don't want to merc and stomp a group that's used to beefier characters and not being punished for risks.
Reading the thread I get that part of the theme is only roll if it's meaningful, but I don't want to get into a "Ok players try to engineer ways you avoid touching the dice, because that's how you lose" like some old school dungeon crawl.

The characters are fragile with the base stress system, but that is intentional as they aren't supposed to be automatically on top, the cell is the underdog. Playing with individual tracks instead is totally fine though, I've done both and they'll still get hurt plenty.

I'd say your players can track their own stress, they dropped the hidden aspect for Heart and it doesn't change the feel of the games I think.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

It varies in my experience, and also depends on the tone of the game. The less lethal option will make your game more heroic feeling, while the baseline rules make the characters very mortal.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Just read through Sin and it is fantastic. The Mortician Executioner is so fun. I just wish Heart would get a book like this.

Nothing official, but a buddy of mine released an unofficial supplement called Ichor-Drowned. Contains multiple new classes, a new calling (Retribution), a different take on the Heart as a psedo-oceanic setting, vehicle rules, a Tarot-inspired deck for delve creation, and an adventure about breaking into the Incarnadine afterlife. It's gotten a lot of good feedback on the RRD discord. I'm biased, obviously but I think it's worth picking up.

https://sillionl.itch.io/ichor-drowned