Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CitizenKeen posted:

I haven't read any. It's the same dice mechanic as Blades in the Dark, except d10s. IIRC, Howitt claims he wasn't aware of Blades (and wishes he had been because a) Blades does some things better, and b) he would changed some things just to make them less similar). However, despite that claim, it seems a case of parallel evolution. I'm not sure what was going on in the "let's make games inspired by but not powered by the Apocalypse" community at that time.

I wish that had happened too, BitD would be fantastic for providing a structure to the resistance struggle.

They also Kickstarted a supplement that seems to be two new classes, some supplementary rules, and several adventures. The adventures have some real gems in them that I'm going to give prospective players a choice of.

"Strata posted:

Line in the Dirt by Pauline Chan. The cell’s safehouse - and home - is in the god-forsaken district of Derelictus, amongst the lowest of the low. But as they wake up one morning, they discover that aelfir-owned companies are threatening to destroy their apartment block to make room for new housing, and evict them in the process. Can the players keep hold of what little space they’ve managed to mark as their own, or will their fellow residents sell them out for a chance at a better life?

The Forgotten by Laurence Phillips. The players aren’t Ministry operatives - instead, they’re people with disabilities who were, until recently, under the care of a kindly minister in the cut-throat district of Pilgrim’s Walk. When their guardian is abducted, it’s up to them to take matters into their own hands to find out what really happened - and try not to get exploited by the Ministry in the bargain.

Eye of the Beholder by Christine Beard. The height of fashion in aelfir society is to surgically modify a drow employee to make them more beautiful, useful, or graceful. In this scenario, perfectly suited to one-shots or a short series of linked games, the cell are tasked with extracting a group of drugged, mutilated dark elves from an eerie auction in one of Amaranth’s most elegant gardens, and bring the justice of the Ministry to the surgeon who scarred them.

The Sulphurous Press by Coman Fullard. The cell are tasked with publishing a newspaper that furthers the goals of the revolution, and in the process they must tackle problems with distribution, crackdowns on seditious materials, and finding enough stories to fill the lifestyle section. Contains two new sports that players might take part in or report on: stairway luge and a deadly cross between hurling and squash.

Home Is Where The Hatred Is by Helen Gould. The cell infiltrate an aelfir household as the staff, looking to gain information and leverage over the lords and ladies that dwell within. A tense, single-location scenario in the style of Downton Abbey, except all the wealthy people are undead elves and all the servants are murderous revolutionaries.

Glasshelm is the centre of the aelfir banking network in Spire, and a handful of downtrodden drow are going to ruin it. Taking the ideas of computerised banking and adapting them for a fantasy setting, this scenario leans hard into cyberpunk - but all the hard-drives are the wet brainmeat of captured magicians, and the hacker is a blood-witch with a parasitic intrusion spell curled around her heart.

I'm planning to try to run one of those in bits and pieces at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Found on Facebook:

quote:

Traveling in a fried-out Zombie
Underdark trail, head full of Romney
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me poison...
And she said
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women rule and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover

quote:

Buying boots from a Dwarf in Brukkles
He was four foot four and full of muscle
I said, "Do you speak my language?"
He smiled and said "these will give you advantage."
And he said, "I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and Drow wander"
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover", yeah.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

So, the Knight's Armor is 3 Armor, Heavy.

I'm working on a cyberpunk hack and I want to make one of those heavy total-conversion style cyborgs. How terrible would 4 Armor, Heavy that you couldn't take off be? (Obviously with a Medium/Heavy Advance that would include getting rid of the Heavy tag.)

Sounds fine so long as there are big, Brutal, guns around.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There's one big change. Instead of your class and abilities giving you extra Stress boxes that don't count towards Fallout, they give you Stress Resistance and reduce the amount of Stress you take in the first place. That means under Heart rules, characters can take a LOT more stress over a longer period. That's an easy change to retrofit to Spire, but it's going to change the Stress economy significantly.