Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

A friend ordered me the Spire core book and that got here Sunday... I had no idea what I was looking at but the blurb on the back sounded cool. Once I started reading the book I had a hard time putting it down, it is crazy dense with lore. I don't know when I'll be able to get a group together for it, but I'm really looking forward to taking a crack at this game.

CitizenKeen posted:

Spire is very much "you're probably going to lose everything and/or die, but if you're lucky you'll make some progress toward the rebellion's goal."

This is really my takeaway too, which really leads me to think that if you had a group of people who like the system and like toppling unjust regimes enough to play generations of different ministry cells building on their predecessors progress. Does any of the lore mention a approximate population? I don't remember reading that, but the saying "you're never more than six feet from a corpse in Spire" really stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

I've been reading through the book for this and a lot of it seems really cool, but I'm really not especially keen on some of the core conceits basically being "you will do horrible things and then you will die, having achieved, at best, nothing at all, and every player character is aware of this." It just sounds like it would make for a pretty miserable, pointless time overall.

I don't know if I have a specific question but can someone allay my fears in some way so I can maybe enjoy what this game has to offer?

I kind of have been leaning this is the game of small victories. I have only played one session, but they have been trying to feed and arm the Hidden, the people who are the illegitimate squatters in the Ivory Row. One of the characters is an Idol, and they happened to know people who are involved in the Sunlight Collective, and they asked where the guards avoid/where could we find the Hidden without running into opposition, so I gave them both a haunted mansion in Ivory Row, where one of the original families lived and a bride had killed her groom on her wedding night in front of dozens (found the Hidden and got them to join up easily (the firebrand kept rolling 10s the whole session, hosed me up good as a GM), as well as a merely neglected house on the edge of the district. I styled this other house as being extremely on the fringe of the Ivory Row, the end of the block being a Vermissian station that connects to the garden district below, and actually the garden district being likely where the Hidden are coming from on this side of the Ivory Row.