Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro

a computing pun posted:

"Knocked Out" as a fallout means that you get knocked out and you're out of the scene and possibly have other consequences of a similar severity, but you'll be back on your feet soon enough.
And if the GM can't come up with a way for you to get knocked out but not killed, they aren't allowed to select Knocked Out as a fallout.

I think this is an appropriate reading of the rules, given that Spire is supposed to be a narrative-driven game.

Rules for Fallout do note that you can either downgrade a Fallout to be multiple lower-level Fallouts, or upgrade it if the character experiences Fallout again from repeat sources - Maybe the first time you get walloped, you go unconscious, but if your enemy continues beating you in the head, you die.

That said, I think it's disingenuous for a GM to apply a "Moderate" fallout and then have an NPC coup-de-grace your character for no real reason. It's stated that the game is meant to be similar to PbtA in that it's a conversation, and also that the GM doesn't roll dice, except in response to player actions.

While the GM is still responsible for moving the story forward, the impetus should be with the players to drive the scene - and this is evident in the combat/play examples through the book. If a given player rolls poorly and suffers Blood stress in combat, that stress probably shouldn't be applied (unless by way of a Spread weapon, for example) to their colleagues.

hyphz posted:

I agree, but if I was GMing I'd have a hell of a time explaining why, because of a low Stress roll, a character's mortal enemy would not decide to kill them given a golden opportunity with them unconscious in front of them. Maybe CountZero's GM had the same issue?

This probably depends on the situation. If their mortal enemy is an Aelfir, I could conceivably see them regarding the erstwhile Drow as not really being worth the effort. After all, this is Spire, and there are some pretty bad things that can happen to an unconscious person if left alone. Personally? I think we're drawing a lot of conjecture from scarce details, but after seeing the lengths some GMs will go to in order to just gently caress with people (thanks, Cat Piss thread) I'm inclined to believe that CountZero's GM decided to just crank the lethality up to 11 for shits 'n giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU