Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DalaranJ posted:

Is there a preference for the regular fallout rules or the 'less lethal' fallout rules?

The "less lethal" rules are the only ones that make sense imo. Default fallout rules introduce some weird behavior re: narrative conditions when clearing it comes into play. Can't comment on the difficulty or lack thereof except in the Heart playtest (in which standard fallout was ridiculously, horribly lethal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, the Heart playtest is a bad "real" demonstration of how the system works in practice by virtue of being at the crossroads of "let's make the system harsher!" and actual glaring mistakes in game design that combined to make it overly punishing. Can't manage to get a Spire group, so that's all I've got for experience, though.

My issues with the single pool system are more narrative consistency based than mechanical. Resistances are already in the same category as "hit points" where the actual stress taken to them is very arbitrary in what it actually represents until it collapses into a consequence. When you have a shared pool and consequence collapses refresh the total even though only one resistance was actually responsible for the consequence, a disconnect comes into play. The Lancer community's game design chat floated this pretty much every time Resistance System came up, with what a mod called "the girlfriend problem", but works better as an example without involving bonds - you get in a fight, you get knocked around pretty bad, you're riding high on Blood stress but it hasn't actually been collapsed to a consequence yet. Outside that fight, you have to deal with some other issue, receiving stress to any of the other four resistances (the initial "girlfriend problem" used "a fight with your girlfriend", because the rules discussed at the time lacked bond stress, but any resistance applies). You don't have time to go rest. You've got... Let's say 7 Blood stress, and you suffer 2 Silver stress at a low-stakes card game trying to get close to a contact (and losing coin in the process). You roll a 5 and catch Fallout. What happens?

Every answer immediately causes narrative dissonance. RAW, the default would be to take a Severe Silver fallout, so at this friendly penny poker-equivalent card game you somehow suffer something equivalent to "you have one chance to raise a fortune to pay off loan sharks" or "you betray the party for money to pay off your debt". As an alternative, you could do something Blood-based as it's the majority resistance, at which point you instead suffer something equivalent to immediately dying. Manage to survive either way? Well, you clear 7 stress... wait, because I lost some money at a card game I suddenly don't have to go to the hospital so badly?

Separate resistance tracks erase this as a problem and solve the only major mechanical issue I have with Spire.