Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I just read the Resistance Toolbox and nobody had made a Spire thread so I made one.

What is Spire?

Spire: The City Must Fall is an RPG written by Grant Howitt and Chris Taylor. It feels much like a game that's descended from the Apocalypse (though not Powered by it). It is often compared to Blades in the Dark.

It was nicely described as

mllaneza posted:

Spire is an ancient artifact of unknown purpose or provenance.
Spire is a drow city, two miles tall.
Spire was conquered by the high elves two centuries ago.
Spire will be freed by the Ministry of the Forbidden Goddess.
That's you.

You play terrorists freedom fighters [Ed Note: gently caress that, you're definitely terrorists] trying to overthrow the high elves in power.

Mechanics are roll Nd10, keep highest, compare to chart of "No, Yes But, Yes" results we all know and love. You have "moves" that are familiar to those who have played any Apocalypse-adjacent game.

The Fatal and Friends is amazing and deep and definitely worth a read if you're not going to read the book. Big thanks to lazyangel.

Who wrote it?

Grant Howitt and Chris Taylor. They've brought you such gems as
Support

The adventures for the game are quite good. Eidolon Sky is pay-what-you-want, and I think does an amazing job of setting up an adventure in a narrative game where players can change the fiction wildly in play.

There are a decent number of adventures and small supplements, as well as the Resistance Toolbox.

They let others write for them: the Codex of the Deep Spire by Jordan Shiveley is full of crazy ideas dripping in theme. Like a secret cabal of talking cats. I poo poo you not. The Conclave of Khaats.

And, they just finished a Kickstarter in November for Strata, a supplement with new classes and moves and ten scenarios. BackerKit.

The Resistance Toolbox

Available pay-what-want, the authors have released the Toolbox, and SRD and guide. It includes the core of the game, with thoughts on how to hack it.

Hack Ecosystem

Ascendancy, described by author Ruby as "queer tabletop RPG about being psychic cyborgs in a city at war after the empire ruling it fell".

Facade, a "transvampiric roleplaying game about existing and surviving under the pressure of society's unfair (and often contradictory) expectations", by Nora Blake.

Community

There isn't much of one, which is why I'm posting here.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

nomadotto posted:

That dice mechanic seems a little odd, has there been any feedback from the creator on the specific reasons for choosing it?

I haven't read any. It's the same dice mechanic as Blades in the Dark, except d10s. IIRC, Howitt claims he wasn't aware of Blades (and wishes he had been because a) Blades does some things better, and b) he would changed some things just to make them less similar). However, despite that claim, it seems a case of parallel evolution. I'm not sure what was going on in the "let's make games inspired by but not powered by the Apocalypse" community at that time.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 22, 2019

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

mllaneza posted:

They also Kickstarted a supplement that seems to be two new classes, some supplementary rules, and several adventures. The adventures have some real gems in them that I'm going to give prospective players a choice of.

Frak, how did I forget Strata. I updated the original post. Thank you!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So, disarming in Spire.

There's no way to reflect bad things happening, other than through Fallout. Failure results in Stress, which is abstract. I guess you could declare that an NPC is trying to disarm you, and the PC could roll Resist, and failure results in Stress and their weapon being knocked from their hand?

Just thinking it through here.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Oh man, do I really want to read a new edition of Paranoia? (No.) Am I a completionist who is currently trying to procure everything Howitt and Taylor have touched? (Yes.)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So, the Knight's Armor is 3 Armor, Heavy.

I'm working on a cyberpunk hack and I want to make one of those heavy total-conversion style cyborgs. How terrible would 4 Armor, Heavy that you couldn't take off be? (Obviously with a Medium/Heavy Advance that would include getting rid of the Heavy tag.)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I mean, obviously.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've been working on a hack/reskin of the Spire, into a simple Cyberpunk game. Here's a link of what I have so far: link.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I picked up Heart (I actually picked up the entire Resistance bundle in print, because gently caress it, I'm not spending money on anything else).

Spire, but with structure, is a glory to behold.

Easily the best XP system I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure Chuubo's XP is similar, but I could never make heads nor tails of it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LazyAngel posted:

For the record I'm doing a Fatal and Friends read-through/review right now.

Oh, excellent! I was going to do a Let's Read, but I'll follow along instead!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yeah, Spire's resistance system works exactly for what it needs to - undergunned, undermanned, ever-hustling terrorists against the tide of oppressors with too much of everything to hope to fight off.

I really appreciate the subtle shift in perspective in Heart. Derelictus goes from the slum of slums in Spire to comparative refuge in Heart, it's little touches like that that I think really sell "different part of the same world.".

I adore both the core mechanic and the stress economy of Spire. And I recognize that some mechanics work for very specific feels. And while I wouldn't want the Resistance to become a totally generic system, if it could cover various themes and power levels like *World, man, that would make me happy.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I've been working on a Resistance based game focused around replicating the experience of classic JRPGs and Heart has really given me a lot of ideas for how the system could work. There's a really nice sliding scale between "fallout checks only watch a single track at a time" to "remove the two highest dice from your rolls result". You could probably tune it way to the mild side with Heart stress rules and single stress stat fallout rolls.

Please share when you've got enough to do so - that sounds delightful! "Replicating a JRPG experience" sounds like a really insightful fit for the Resistance.

I've been working on a She-Ra hack (to focus on core mechanics and designing classes and callings), and a cyberpunk reskin (which is more about adding crunch for specific things, akin to delves and Blades in the Dark). I think there's a lot of potential - the core mechanic is both solid and flexible, and I could see it supporting a spectrum of games akin to 2d20.

LazyAngel posted:

Burned and Broken (as it’s titled I think) is more the process of Spire characters becoming Heart characters and isn’t quite a conversion kit. The issue is more that there’s no Calling-equivalent in Spire; maybe Durance, if you reflavour it to “why do you hate the regime?”. Plus you’d need to come up with all the beats, although you’d probably want “choose 2, achieve 1” for Spire’s pace.

For anybody who hasn't read it, this post over on RRD has a good preview of how they're replacing Calling with Fall.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
That sounds awesome!

How is the appropriate Mood defined? In Spire/Heart, a Domain is defined by the scene, which I think is key - it prevents players from narrating their way into their strengths. This is just an Academic or Haven scene - you have it or you don't. Is a scene Idealistic? What defines Moods?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
This doing well is great, because it means we might get more books for other domains.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just read through Sin and it is fantastic. The Mortician Executioner is so fun. I just wish Heart would get a book like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Spire is very much "you're probably going to lose everything and/or die, but if you're lucky you'll make some progress toward the rebellion's goal."

Heart is a little more optimistic. "You're probably going to lose everything and/or die, but if you're lucky you'll achieve your own goal before you explode."