Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FBS posted:

I hadn't seen it yet so I stole this from reddit to share

https://streamable.com/wqjpk

Owwwww that’s how you break an ankle, Marc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Following people on track:
Andrea Iannone: simple and brutish, dishonorable and bringing shame upon his anscestors
Marc Marquez: tactical genius, savage cunning, brilliance of strategy and psychology

I want the commentary team to faceplant into the tarmac.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Zarco was helped off the bike in the middle of the race by Mir.

Rossi and Dovi's fight wasn't too bad but shows that acceleration and top speed are way way down still for Yamaha.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Skreemer posted:

I need to see if someone gifd that shot from Miller's bike in slo-mo because zarco coming off the bike that way looked crazy. At least up to that point he was doing as well as nakagami I just don't think that will help him much career wise.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Rossi and Dovi's fight wasn't too bad but shows that acceleration and top speed are way way down still for Yamaha.

loving tragedy.

the paradigm shift posted:

I need to see if someone gifd that shot from Miller's bike in slo-mo because zarco coming off the bike that way looked crazy. At least up to that point he was doing as well as nakagami I just don't think that will help him much career wise.

I think it will help his career immensely.

He did better than crutchlow, won't even mention Lorenzo or the KTM's. Crutch and nakagami are both contracted directly to HRC, HRC are desperate to get rid of Lorenzo and have a long term desire to put a Japanese rider on the factory team.

Meanwhile lcr's owner is sitting there looking at what zarco is doing vs what zarco costs and joining the dots with the above.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I think it will help his career immensely.

He did better than crutchlow, won't even mention Lorenzo or the KTM's. Crutch and nakagami are both contracted directly to HRC, HRC are desperate to get rid of Lorenzo and have a long term desire to put a Japanese rider on the factory team.

Meanwhile lcr's owner is sitting there looking at what zarco is doing vs what zarco costs and joining the dots with the above.

Crutchlow is also getting older, and Nakagami is definitely being groomed to get on the Repsol bike because :japan: Even if Zarco has to sit a year (with Lorenzo somehow staying next year) I think he's rehabilitated his career with these runs

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

harperdc posted:

Crutchlow is also getting older, and Nakagami is definitely being groomed to get on the Repsol bike because :japan: Even if Zarco has to sit a year (with Lorenzo somehow staying next year) I think he's rehabilitated his career with these runs

Frankly Lorenslow staying at Repsol for another year would be an insult to 99% of the field. Guy is earning a mint but he's slower than second-rate riders on KTM non-factory rides. If Zarco has done anything, it's show how hideously uncompetitive Lorenzo is. At this rate Honda would be idiots not considering taking the cash out to get rid of Lorenzo early for someone else (whether that's Zarco or not, Zarco at least is a 'known' level equal or higher than crutch).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bring back three bike teams.

Or alternatively, bring back competitive Honda Satellites.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Bring back three bike teams.

Or alternatively, bring back competitive Honda Satellites.

Crutchlow's bike is the exact same as Marquez' and his team is very well run and funded. The problem is the bike itself being allegedly impossible for non-Marquez riders to extract speed from without constant risk of crashy death.

Nakagami and zarco are on the easier to ride but again, allegedly slow-engined 18 bike. Somehow zarco is able to overcome this apparent disadvantage and absolutely sodomize petrucci, on his way to doing the same with Miller, both on the fastest bike in the class before he got hit.

So it would be nice to see him on the 19 bike next year.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skreemer posted:

It's hilariously bad. Two weeks in a row now, in the lead coming out of the back corner and then *ZZZOOOOP* six bike lengths behind in 100meters (numbers approx.). Interesting to see Vinales do so well though. It's the first race I can remember for a while that Marquez just didn't have a shot to win. Speaking of Marquez, that start was ridiculous.

Barnsy posted:

Frankly Lorenslow staying at Repsol for another year would be an insult to 99% of the field. Guy is earning a mint but he's slower than second-rate riders on KTM non-factory rides. If Zarco has done anything, it's show how hideously uncompetitive Lorenzo is. At this rate Honda would be idiots not considering taking the cash out to get rid of Lorenzo early for someone else (whether that's Zarco or not, Zarco at least is a 'known' level equal or higher than crutch).

What do you suppose HRC's goal is? Because they have the winner in Marquez. And Lorenzo is one of the very few riders who actually has the speed to beat Marquez. So just keeping him off Ducati is a win. Also seems like you're forgetting this moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piIWf7NI-_Y Unless you (as HRC) think Lorenzo is just done, then why not keep him around for another year?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They completely changed their bike for the worse in every way purely to reduce the straightline speed disparity to Ducati out of corporate pride.

In light of the above, an HRC bike circulating outside the points will elicit a response regardless of any theoretical strategic benefit. Paying all the team, the several-million-a-year cost of supplying the bikes themselves, logistics, sponsor expectations etc nobody wants their bike at the back for any reason ever. It being the biggest baddest team and the biggest baddest factory elevates the humiliation to an artform. Something will break.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

They completely changed their bike for the worse in every way purely to reduce the straightline speed disparity to Ducati out of corporate pride.

In light of the above, an HRC bike circulating outside the points will elicit a response regardless of any theoretical strategic benefit. Paying all the team, the several-million-a-year cost of supplying the bikes themselves, logistics, sponsor expectations etc nobody wants their bike at the back for any reason ever. It being the biggest baddest team and the biggest baddest factory elevates the humiliation to an artform. Something will break.

Fair. I just wonder if you don't keep lorenzo around for another year because it took him a year at Ducati and he really does have the potential. Plus, he rode for you injured. Still, to your point, I think it'll be tougher to do if he doesn't show, you know, something before the end of the year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
His Ducati stint was different. He’d be leading for like 2-3 laps then drop like a stone, he hasn’t shown any sort of speed on the Honda whatsoever.

I think there probably is an argument to get Lorenzo back on the Ducati because I can’t see Dovizioso forcing them to fix the bike and I think anybody else that’s an option is going to get told that this is just the way things are done at Duc, if he’s not going back there I reckon it’s probably time to draw the curtain on his career.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Fair. I just wonder if you don't keep lorenzo around for another year because it took him a year at Ducati and he really does have the potential. Plus, he rode for you injured. Still, to your point, I think it'll be tougher to do if he doesn't show, you know, something before the end of the year.

That what's in the balance, but who knows how Honda rate Lorenzo internally, what they judge his odds of improvement are and, honestly, how much effort they're even willing to put in to try and come his way.

Ducati modified their frame and their bike is generally much better off thanks to Lorenzo's stay; early reports of the '20 Honda promise more of the same and HRC haven't shown any sign of bending toward his style.

So you have some (small) probability of Lorenzo getting gud on the Honda, balanced against the smaller chance of replacing him with a moto2 guy who takes to the Honda like a duck to water, balanced against what zarco is doing now.

The past few years have taught me that rider contracts are basically just gambling based on media hype and short memories. Atm the perception is that Lorenzo is a fickle waste of money, while zarco is a diamond for a bargain.

You could also argue Honda's questionable management practices are what led to him riding 300hp bikes with a loving spinal injury in the first place.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

That what's in the balance, but who knows how Honda rate Lorenzo internally, what they judge his odds of improvement are and, honestly, how much effort they're even willing to put in to try and come his way.

Ducati modified their frame and their bike is generally much better off thanks to Lorenzo's stay; early reports of the '20 Honda promise more of the same and HRC haven't shown any sign of bending toward his style.

So you have some (small) probability of Lorenzo getting gud on the Honda, balanced against the smaller chance of replacing him with a moto2 guy who takes to the Honda like a duck to water, balanced against what zarco is doing now.

The past few years have taught me that rider contracts are basically just gambling based on media hype and short memories. Atm the perception is that Lorenzo is a fickle waste of money, while zarco is a diamond for a bargain.

You could also argue Honda's questionable management practices are what led to him riding 300hp bikes with a loving spinal injury in the first place.

This is all very well put.

It does, however, neglect the most important failure of Lorenzo's time at Honda. He's totally failed at helping Marquez embrace villainy. I'm hoping things change before the end of the season but I'm not holding my breath.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's true, I really want to see full heel Marquez, hopefully fabulous' refusal to be intimidated leads to this.

Dovi is too nice to bring it out and vinales psyche crumbles at the first sign of adversity so Fabio is our only hope.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The kind viewpoint is Lorenzo is doing all he can while riding to prevent any worse injury; then the question is why haven’t they done like with Nakagami, and yanked him off the bike early to heal up. Surely there’s a test rider or two they can toss on the second Repsol bike (Bradl?) who won’t be any worse than limp-home mode Lorenzo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

harperdc posted:

The kind viewpoint is Lorenzo is doing all he can while riding to prevent any worse injury; then the question is why haven’t they done like with Nakagami, and yanked him off the bike early to heal up. Surely there’s a test rider or two they can toss on the second Repsol bike (Bradl?) who won’t be any worse than limp-home mode Lorenzo.

The real answer is honestly probably that people aren't rational robots and Alberto Puig is an absolute oval office.

Bradl is good enough to get in the points regularly so yeah would be a definite improvement, I suspect they don't want even a glimmer of hope of racing to enter his heart and distract him from his honorable testing duties.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 5, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m guessing it’s more Lorenzo going “I’m riding god dammit” because of his contract more than anything. There has to be some greater political reason.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I'd be fascinated to learn more about what life is like in that side of the Honda garage. Is Jorge riding just to avoid injury? It'd be totally understandable. Does he just come in and do the bare minimum to meet his contract requirements waiting to get out of there? Does Honda support him as well as they could? Does the team? How would it effect morale knowing the rider tried to quit on you halfway through a season? I bet it factored in to KTM letting Zarco go.

It made so much sense that HRC would hire the only rider to beat Marc and I'm sure they were excited at the prospect of constant Repsol 1-2s.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I'd be fascinated to learn more about what life is like in that side of the Honda garage. Is Jorge riding just to avoid injury? It'd be totally understandable. Does he just come in and do the bare minimum to meet his contract requirements waiting to get out of there? Does Honda support him as well as they could? Does the team? How would it effect morale knowing the rider tried to quit on you halfway through a season? I bet it factored in to KTM letting Zarco go.

It made so much sense that HRC would hire the only rider to beat Marc and I'm sure they were excited at the prospect of constant Repsol 1-2s.

Honda would definitely be butthurt that they didn't seal the constructor's title early on. It's a testament to Marquez that they're even in the running, but I doubt the higher ups in Honda (and here I'm thinking beyond the race-only management) are wondering why even a mid-range rider that actually gets points would have sealed them the constructor's title halfway through the season, instead of it still being up for grabs. This is where next year they'd definitely be thinking 'welp, Lorenzo isn't working as we hope, let's get someone else who can clearly work with the Honda'.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mat Oxley has a column about Jorge up today answering some of the questions we’ve been discussing. There’s even reference to “building a bike so Jorge can win” being the sort of challenge that HRC would take for laughs in the same vein as almost making Pedrosa champion.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
It’s not that insane. HRC originally signed Jorge because they realized they were hosed if Marquez left and Jorge had largely made the Ducati more accessible

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Tried to type out zero on my phone, automatically tried to correct to Zarco. The system works.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Laughing

https://twitter.com/matoxley/status/1193026030036029440

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
RIP Jorge Lorenzo who died from riding a Honda.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

It had to happen.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

yeah being so worried he'd paralyze himself he's running around with the pay riders must have been demoralizing

interested in who gets that seat for next year though since nakagami seems unlikely just yet and I doubt cal gets the call.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tragic. If only he'd taken that petronas seat :(

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

the paradigm shift posted:

yeah being so worried he'd paralyze himself he's running around with the pay riders must have been demoralizing

interested in who gets that seat for next year though since nakagami seems unlikely just yet and I doubt cal gets the call.

Cal's already been talking about retiring at the end of 2020. It might be prudent to move Zarco up for a year until The Silliest Silly Season starts the merry-go-round in motion.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

Tragic. If only he'd taken that petronas seat :(

If only he'd taken the Suzuki seat. Give the corner speed bike to the ace 250 rider seems like a no brainer, but I think his pride kept him from going to a lesser factory.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
goodnight sweet prince

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Great style on the bike. I'll miss him.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Cal's already been talking about retiring at the end of 2020. It might be prudent to move Zarco up for a year until The Silliest Silly Season starts the merry-go-round in motion.

Cal to the Repsol bike, Zarco to the LCR seat? Cal is the one with the current Honda contract, it would make the most logical sense for him to come into the factory. Even if it’s just for a year, it’d be a good move.

What Honda does later is a different bigger question.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The issue with Cal is his Monster energy contract which conflicts with the Red Bull one with the Repsol team. Dunno how eager he’d be to burn his bridges with Monster to be a seat warmer for one year.

I think the biggest what if is always gonna be what if Lorenzo stayed at Ducati. He seemed to be better at steering the team in the right direction than Dovi who just shrugs his shoulders and goes into cruise control unless he’s leading a race with Marquez behind him now that Lorenzo is gone.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nakagami also has a direct HRC contract.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Slavvy posted:

When is he expected back from shoulder surgery, tho?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

So long as Idemitsu keep decals on a Honda will they be happy? That would seem to be a higher-value clash (with Repsol) than Cal’s energy drinks one...

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Nakagami, as things stand, isn’t getting a 2020 bike at LCR next year so I kinda doubt he’s getting the call up if they aren’t even willing to give him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

the kentucky quid posted:

Nakagami, as things stand, isn’t getting a 2020 bike at LCR next year so I kinda doubt he’s getting the call up if they aren’t even willing to give him that.

Yeah this is probably fair.