Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Space Race Riot posted:

Lol I've been on some of those fishing trips with my own dad, I miss him. Never heard of the hot dog thing for bass though, I'm a bit intrigued. Maybe I'll try it in the spring.

Don't.
They don't work.
Stick to crawlers for live bait, tied shallow and bright colored artificial grubs for casting near reeds. Hotdogs won't work for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JnnyThndrs posted:

Aren’t hot dogs precooked? You just heat ‘em up,right? I remember my mom used to feed me canned Vienna sausages when I was a toddler, which are just small cold hot dogs, more or less.

I appreciate I'm a monster for thinking the smell, texture and taste of a cold hot dog is one of the grossest things imaginable, it's cool, I accept my fate.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Big Beef City posted:

Don't.
They don't work.
Stick to crawlers for live bait, tied shallow and bright colored artificial grubs for casting near reeds. Hotdogs won't work for poo poo.

yeah i'm pretty sure he was just making it up or just got incredibly lucky. All it actually does is gets your hopes up the entire day because you are constantly getting nibbles that never lead anywhere.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

Don't.
They don't work.

I can't imagine that they would but the idea of it is really funny to me. I've seen people catch trout with corn and Velveeta. I typically use either topwater or shallow-diving rapalas for big bass around here. A weedless jighead with soft artificial bait also works well, though you gotta match the color to the water clarity.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I appreciate I'm a monster for thinking the smell, texture and taste of a cold hot dog is one of the grossest things imaginable, it's cool, I accept my fate.

Nah, I agree with you, as an adult I’m up for a good hot Polish dog on a bun, but lovely cold hotdogs aren’t appetizing. As a little kid, though, all bets were off.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JnnyThndrs posted:

Nah, I agree with you, as an adult I’m up for a good hot Polish dog on a bun, but lovely cold hotdogs aren’t appetizing. As a little kid, though, all bets were off.

who gave you cold hot dogs as a kid? They are supposed to stay in the hot water for a reason

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

who gave you cold hot dogs as a kid? They are supposed to stay in the hot water for a reason

They're perfectly safe to eat cold.

Whether you want to or not is a different matter. But there's no real 'reason' whatsoever for it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

They're perfectly safe to eat cold.

Whether you want to or not is a different matter. But there's no real 'reason' whatsoever for it.

no poo poo. The reason they are kept in hot water is that they taste better hot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Cold hot dogs are great bait for crabs. Crabs don't get hooked or have anything that forces them to stay on. Crabs eat by holding the food with one claw, and bringing little bits of food to their mouth with their other claw. So you just need something that keeps them motivated to hang on as you pull them up, and hot dogs do that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm getting poo poo for jonesing on some delicious bana bread and y'all in here eating cold doggos?

Sick world.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no poo poo. The reason they are kept in hot water is that they taste better hot.

So does pizza, you still eat leftovers out of the fridge.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why do you keep phrasing it like "kept in hot water"

are you eating hotdogs as like a soup or what

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Do you not boil hotdogs?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My life went downhill when I went to go see Cars 2 at the theater and spilled the snack I brought with me all over myself.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bumper Stickup posted:

Do you not boil hotdogs?

if I don't have access to a grill or a broiler, sure

but I don't "keep" them in there, I take them out when they're done.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bumper Stickup posted:

Do you not boil hotdogs?
People need to learn that the best HotDog is the one that's been broiled or baked, possibly pan-heated if you don't have a small oven.

Boiling them just takes out all the flavor

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Cold hot dogs are great bait for crabs. Crabs don't get hooked or have anything that forces them to stay on. Crabs eat by holding the food with one claw, and bringing little bits of food to their mouth with their other claw. So you just need something that keeps them motivated to hang on as you pull them up, and hot dogs do that

I've seen this done with chicken on a string but it's incredibly tedious and ineffective. Best way to do it is hunt them down with a longhandled net and a piece of dowling rod to poke them out of the rocks where they hide.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Depends on the area. The string thing works well where I've been, in bays where there's plenty of crabs but no visibility. You do definitely need a net, though; even the most hot dog-obsessed crab is going to have some questions once he breaches the surface

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

so what if I am.
I think it has calories in it
:shrug:

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Depends on the area. The string thing works well where I've been, in bays where there's plenty of crabs but no visibility. You do definitely need a net, though; even the most hot dog-obsessed crab is going to have some questions once he breaches the surface

They're ridiculously fast once they get going. Out of curiosity where are you from? With no visibility it's kinda pointless here

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Mostly bays along the NJ shore. It's a bit deep, and it's not rocky, it's thick greenish mud on the bay side. There are enough crabs that you get bites often. They can move fast, but you don't see it unless something has gone wrong and they're scuttling around the bottom of your boat

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If you don't cook your dogs you can't quote Hank Hill though.

Oop, they're plumping!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Mostly bays along the NJ shore. It's a bit deep, and it's not rocky, it's thick greenish mud on the bay side. There are enough crabs that you get bites often. They can move fast, but you don't see it unless something has gone wrong and they're scuttling around the bottom of your boat

this is how I picture NJ crabs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxrMlLw_Tyg&t=43s

how accurate is that

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
nm

xtal fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

this is how I picture NJ crabs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxrMlLw_Tyg&t=43s

how accurate is that
Other than being in NJ, and being nowhere near a city, and being in a bay, and using lines instead of traps, and having the goal of dinner instead of commerce, it's basically a documentary

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

house of the dad posted:

I was drunk and walking home in Brooklyn a couple years ago and a guy stopped me and started giving me a long spiel about how he needed formula for his baby and he was poor and couldn't buy any because it was $20. I was too drunk and confused to tell him to gently caress off so I let him lead me to a convenience store where he brought two things of powdered formula up to the register and they rang up for $50. When I heard it was going to be $50 I gave him a kind of "heh what are you going to do" kind of shrug and ran out of the store and down the street into the night.

A popular scam involves talking a mark into buying something returnable in a nearby shop for the scammer. Once the mark leaves, the scammer gets a refund and buys drugs or whatever with the money.

That guy seems suss to me. If he needs to beg for family food money, why wouldn't his womam breastfeed instead? And two $25 tins sounds very greedy...doesn't a hit of heroin cost about that?

So you might well have dodged a $50 scammer bullet... or rather, run away from it.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 23, 2019

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

My first girlfriend

Why, did you catch an STI from him?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
What's The Most Awkward Thing You've Ever Done While Hotdog Crabbin' In New Jersey?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Other than being in NJ, and being nowhere near a city, and being in a bay, and using lines instead of traps, and having the goal of dinner instead of commerce, it's basically a documentary

my only knowledge of new jersey is newark airport and the jersey shore episode of that show, sorry

but it's good to hear they got it pretty close

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I still cringe thinking about the first blowjob I ever attempted :( I had no idea what I was doing and it showed. Yes I got dumped soon after.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

remigious posted:

I still cringe thinking about the first blowjob I ever attempted :( I had no idea what I was doing and it showed. Yes I got dumped soon after.

apparently blowing into it like a clarinet is wrong?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

remigious posted:

shoulda got yourself a grapefruit

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

remigious posted:

Turns out you're not actually supposed to blow on it

ah kinda beaten but whatever

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Waterbed Wendy posted:

apparently blowing into it like a clarinet is wrong?

Where I'm from we call that the Cold Hot Dog

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cosmik Slop posted:

Where I'm from we call that the Cold Hot Dog

:thunk:

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Interesting. In my experience you can get a ton of em in the rocks but you have to be able to see them, or at least a part of them. I try to get them from shore or close to it. This is in CT btw, never been to Jersey

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Space Race Riot posted:

Interesting. In my experience you can get a ton of em in the rocks but you have to be able to see them, or at least a part of them. I try to get them from shore or close to it. This is in CT btw, never been to Jersey

I to have only ever gotten crabs on the eastern shore

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
It's a dirty, dirty place I admit

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Casually strolled into a complete stranger's apartment, entered the bathroom and took a piss.

Some girl was throwing a garden party, I had to piss, and she wasn't around so I asked my friend where the bathroom was, and he said, ground floor apartment, key's in the lock. Our host had in fact left the key out for people to get to the bathroom, but her apartment was on the 3rd floor. To this day I don't know why the lady in the groud floor unit had also left her key out. Or what my friend had been up to; if it was a prank of his I can't even be mad cause that opportunity doesn't come often.

About a year later another friend invited me to his new apartment and to meet his roommate. I thought the area seemed really familiar, and so did the house. Hi, nice to meet you, yes we have met in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Fishing is barbaric and a sin against God, you should all be ashamed