Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

we use the opentracing api for everything and use jaeger as our backend which feeds it into elasticsearch

its cool when someone used a constant sampler (samples every trace) and we were producing 10gb of traces each day in our test environment.

pro-tip: use a probabilistic sampler or something that says "sample 5% of traces" instead.

Yeah, I set up tracing in our app, and the dev team was like "Can we have 100% sample rate in staging?" and also the dev team "We want to do some load tests in staging."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, it can be set by env var, but I don't trust them to not gently caress up.

We do have some stuff set to 100%, and some stuff set to 1/1000000, while most is at 10% or so.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I used paper trail at one point, they had an option to save a copy of everything you sent them to s3. Maybe datadog has something similar?

If you're using this for billing, it seems like you need something more transactional. What if the log never makes it to dd?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Scud Hansen posted:

When I worked at [ALLIED MASTERCOMPUTER] we had really insane metrics and monitoring, but making any changes to it involved editing a 5000 line xml file, and when you parsed it, the thing that checked its validity couldn't tell you which line errors were on, only that there was one.

Hell.

Prometheus is pretty awesome especially when you stick a fancy dash with grafana on it. Jurassic park poo poo.

I prometheus operator. If there's an error in some PrometheusRules object some other gently caress deployed last week, it just never updates the promethus config again until you find the object causing the error. At least there's a log somewhere that might give you a clue about which part is broken.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Why yes I love having to take a delta and then sum, instead of a sum then a delta. I like having metrics get stuck whenever I redeploy, it's great.