Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gotta agree with pram that kafka sucks poo poo and breaks constantly in frustrating ways. The tooling is also garbage.

ELK also seems to crash and lose data a lot but that might just be our infrastructure team, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

elasticsearch changed their data model between major versions so that you can't have multiple types per index anymore. making breaking changes between major versions is fair enough but it doesn't stop it being frustrating when you have to go make changes to your logging code just for this.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

animist posted:

just use grep

there's a reason we always log to a local file as well as ELK

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We still write local text logs for everything as backup because all the modern solutions either crash and lose data occasionally or have broken auth

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kafka in particular crashes more frequently than most of the services which write to it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Working out why a log message isn't making it from my app into a kibana dashboard is one of my least favourite things.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

how much do you have to spend on datadog before they will negotiate on price, they're so expensive it's like candlesmeme.tweet

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm fairly certain our datadog spend this month was higher than our (covid impacted) revenue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

promql sucks so bad. wishing I had gone with influxdb for its sql like language

don't worry the influxdb one is also bad